Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

God save the Queen

I understand that you have no wish to explain it, but I cannot fathom why Prince Charles could not have stayed in his principal residence in Gloucestershire.
Think harder. That's the trouble with you Southerners .

Well, if you vote for Independence and self annihilation you can have a Republic with the " wee woman " as President
if she survives Alex Salmond.:kiss:kiss
Ah, the Ad Hominem approach. Original! Personally I would trust this Scottish Government far more than any government in Westminster. But how did independence come into this discussion? I thought we were chatting about feudalism?

I think the clue is in the “Long to reign over us” bit.

I’m no monarchist but our “modern free thinking democracy” has chosen to keep it. As for some words in a historical anthem. Really!

Mike

I’m no monarchist but our “modern free thinking democracy” has chosen to keep it. As for some words in a historical anthem. Really!

Mike
Hi Mike. I don’t remember ever being asked? Or for that matter, anybody ever being asked if we should have a monarchy or not? It is simply a historical anachronism.

Hi Mike. I don’t remember ever being asked? Or for that matter, anybody ever being asked if we should have a monarchy or not? It is simply a historical anachronism.

I agree and as such no one should feel subservient to it which is my one and only point.
As a nation we have chosen to keep it or rather not chosen to abolish it.
I’m certainly not going to try and defend it or discuss this as a subject as it’s not one I’m bothered about.
In my view it’s historical and probably does more good than harm.
I certainly don’t feel subservient to it though as I’m sure you don’t.

Mike

When King George V1 died, his eldest daughter became Queen. She didn't apply for the job, she was expected to just get on with it without question. On February 6th this year the Queen celebrated 68 years on the throne. So putting it another way the Queen has been on the throne for 818 months or 24,903days. That's 24,903 days of non stop service to our nation and with no real prospect of retirement. She has no freedom as we would know it, has no vote and has remained politically neutral despite her own personal opinions. As I understand it there are only two days each year when she doesn't have to read and action the contents of those red boxes, they are today Easter Sunday and Christmas day. Unlike us she has often had to play host to some rather obnoxious foreign heads of state as well as going here and there every day to carry out official engagements. In all that time she hasn't put a foot wrong.

At a time when we are praising those in our society who are carrying out public service, my personal view is that if we are talking about dedication and service, look no further than Her Majesty the Queen.

Hi Borris. First of all Happy Easter. I hope that you and all around are keeping well.
I know that you and I are never going to agree on this and nothing that I say is going to change your mind and vice versa!.... and that's ok. You are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
I would however like to take issue with a few of the points that you so eloquently made.
She didn't apply for the job.
No, unlike the rest of us she got her job handed to her on a plate!
she was expected to just get on with it without question.
S
he didn't have to take the job did she? Her uncle gave it up and one of her grandchildren has given it up.
non stop service to our nation
She has been waited on hand and foot throughout her entire life.
remained politically neutral despite her own personal opinions.
Oh, I will concede that she's clever (or well advised), but politically neutral. I don't think so. See Indyref and Brexit for examples.
In all that time she hasn't put a foot wrong.
Hmm, I think she may have gone a wee bit off track in her Annus Horribilis?
However, we can agree on praising those in our society who are providing the services that are keeping the country going. Too many to mention but special merit to those who don't get the credit they deserve. The hospital cleaners and porters, and the bin men and women, and the supermarket staff, the posties, the delivery drivers and the ordinary members of the public who keep an eye out for their elderly and infirm neighbours. True heroes all, and they manage to do it without the help of their footmen and butlers and cooks and ladies in waiting!

A
Hi Borris. First of all Happy Easter. I hope that you and all around are keeping well.
I know that you and I are never going to agree on this and nothing that I say is going to change your mind and vice versa!.... and that's ok. You are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
I would however like to take issue with a few of the points that you so eloquently made.
She didn't apply for the job.
No, unlike the rest of us she got her job handed to her on a plate!
she was expected to just get on with it without question.
S
he didn't have to take the job did she? Her uncle gave it up and one of her grandchildren has given it up.
non stop service to our nation
She has been waited on hand and foot throughout her entire life.
remained politically neutral despite her own personal opinions.
Oh, I will concede that she's clever (or well advised), but politically neutral. I don't think so. See Indyref and Brexit for examples.
In all that time she hasn't put a foot wrong.
Hmm, I think she may have gone a wee bit off track in her Annus Horribilis?
However, we can agree on praising those in our society who are providing the services that are keeping the country going. Too many to mention but special merit to those who don't get the credit they deserve. The hospital cleaners and porters, and the bin men and women, and the supermarket staff, the posties, the delivery drivers and the ordinary members of the public who keep an eye out for their elderly and infirm neighbours. True heroes all, and they manage to do it without the help of their footmen and butlers and cooks and ladies in waiting!
Anyway, about the God bit...

Hello Straad. Happy Easter to you and yours as well.
I don't expect everyone to have the same view so I think we must just agree to disagree.

I hope the weather is as good where you are as it is here. Stay safe.

Back