Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has a new Cali become just too expensive?

calibusje

calibusje

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
You could , of course gone late T4 Freestyle as we did. All the bells and whistles you require at a fraction of the 6 price. Then you could’ve remained smug every time you read a post about crap hydraulic corroding roofs and EGR bollox. :pinkbanana
:D, that's true, indeed; we went to see two (they are hard to find) good T4 westfalia with 102 hp and airco (one even from 2003) but due to they have euro norm 3 we decided not to buy (we'll still have our T4 from 1991 and remain a big fan of the T4 westfalia california) and since it will be my daily vehicle, I also want to be able to use it in all zones for a while longer and want a euro 6 norm.
With a coast I don't have an electro-hydraulic roof and for the rest it has what we want.
Greetings en enjoy your freestyle!

H

Haves1979

Vehicle
Looking to buy
You could , of course gone late T4 Freestyle as we did. All the bells and whistles you require at a fraction of the 6 price. Then you could’ve remained smug every time you read a post about crap hydraulic corroding roofs and EGR bollox. :pinkbanana
I'd seriously consider a nice late T4 if one came up, but they are rarely available. That said it would need to be in a decent colour and the right spec, there was a black one that came up a while back that looked amazing but he did want 25k for it iirc.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I miss my old T4 Bilbo!...Ok it wasn't as fast or cool (aircon wise) as my T5.1 but it did have character, very easy to fix, internal furniture survived the test of time, fully insulated & and had no rust on its +20 year old 100% waterproof elevating roof.

Still find it strange that you need to cart a substantial separate mattress around in current Cali's in order to get a good nights sleep downstairs.

But despite the above still love my T5.1!

calibusje

calibusje

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I miss my old T4 Bilbo!...Ok it wasn't as fast or cool (aircon wise) as my T5.1 but it did have character, very easy to fix, internal furniture survived the test of time, fully insulated & and had no rust on its +20 year old 100% waterproof elevating roof.

Still find it strange that you need to cart a substantial separate mattress around in current Cali's in order to get a good nights sleep downstairs.

But despite the above still love my T5.1!
hello, I don't know what the bed was like in your Bilbo but we have a T4 westfalia and also use an extra mattress on the downstairs bed. For the rest, a T4 is indeed full of character and I will miss it to travel with our bus; I hope for the same feeling in our yet to be delivered T6.1 but I realize that it will be something completely different. Still, our choice has been made ;)

Greetings

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
hello, I don't know what the bed was like in your Bilbo but we have a T4 westfalia and also use an extra mattress on the downstairs bed. For the rest, a T4 is indeed full of character and I will miss it to travel with our bus; I hope for the same feeling in our yet to be delivered T6.1 but I realize that it will be something completely different. Still, our choice has been made ;)

Greetings
All great vans, but you get more driver waves in the T4!

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I’ve noticed a lot more waves in the T5 than the T6!

To the original question, yes, I think they have become too expensive new. They are going the same way as car list prices, which rely on deeper discounting and finance packages. However, I feel used ones will soon soften in price.

Last edited:
calibusje

calibusje

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
In addition to what I already wrote about the initial question: has a new Cali become just too expensive? the following: we bought a new T6.1, a new one because I never make hasty decisions and inform myself thoroughly: in Belgium a second-hand T6 is often more expensive than a new T6.1 coast, even with options. A T5.1 around 45,000 euros and our new T6.1 coast with some options to our liking (among other things 150hp/dsg) but wihtout 4motion... 55,000 (with discount). Buying second-hand California - at least here - is expensive, almost as expensive as a new one or even more expensive.
I cannot estimate the pricing very well in the UK as here in Belgium but when I look at volkswagen.co.uk configurator and at second hand prices, I think the situation is about the same for you.
Greetings and let's enjoy all types :thumb

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Something is only worth what people will pay for it and they are selling, so technically no they’re not too expensive because they wouldn’t sell otherwise.

Camp Dave is our second car and was a replacement for LR Disco 4. I don’t consider either car a car for ‘the people’.I do feel fortunate to be able to afford one. I wouldn’t be able to if it was a third car.

So it is too expensive if you can’t afford it, but it’s not the if you can afford it. If one doesn’t like the cost, don’t buy it and find something one can afford.

VW are not obliged to make them affordable. I don’t like how expensive they are but I will still want a new one in 5ish years!

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Something is only worth what people will pay for it and they are selling, so technically no they’re not too expensive because they wouldn’t sell otherwise.

Camp Dave is our second car and was a replacement for LR Disco 4. I don’t consider either car a car for ‘the people’.I do feel fortunate to be able to afford one. I wouldn’t be able to if it was a third car.

So it is too expensive if you can’t afford it, but it’s not the if you can afford it. If one doesn’t like the cost, don’t buy it and find something one can afford.

VW are not obliged to make them affordable. I don’t like how expensive they are but I will still want a new one in 5ish years!
Whether you can afford it or not was not part of the question.

C

Calisand

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’m not sure if it’s too expensive. About the same time I bought our Cali I was toying with the idea instead of a Porsche Macan S and a caravan ( even though I hate towing). The lightly specced Macan was £55k - about the same price after discount as my Cali with about £4K of options. Today the Macan is £65k as I’d previously specced and the Cali is also but comes with standard some of the extras I specced and LED headlights which I didn’t. Against that milestone it doesn’t look so expensive.
Similarly I’ve also looked at pricing up a Hymer Ayers Rock 140bhp auto with pop top. Again £65k ish. A better camping experience perhaps but Fiat Ducato certainly not as good to drive or well finished as a van. I do think both car and Campervan prices seem to be racing ahead of inflation and I do wonder if it is sustainable. Personally I’m not sure if I’d buy a new Campervan if we replaced ours and maybe look used (once pandemic buying subsides).

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I did the short shift mod in my old T4 and then extended the gear stick to the level of the dash...
It was a bit of a laugh and definitely full of character.

SimonK

SimonK

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Like the majority of new vehicles, new Californias are ridiculously overpriced these days

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Could the fact that a majority of new vehicles nowadays are on PCP or similar?

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
The advantage of the California is, because of its wide range of specs, "drivability" etc, it can substitute a regular car. The high priced Calis have options you would only consider on a car, not a Motorhome. Already 150Ps is in the high range for power for motorhomes, let alone the 199hp, 17"-18" alloys, Antiroll bars, LEDs, 4Motion, DSG, only seldomly specced in a motorhome. 99% of the ducato based MH don't have any of these. And those options raise the price of a Cali quite a bit.
But this allows you, also thanks to its reduced size, to use it as a single car. Every day. That makes the Cali much cheaper than owning two vehicles. I hit 200km/h on the Autobahn, try that with any ducato!
Of course it depends on personal circumstances. It is my second vehicle and live alone. But during Lockdown I used the Cali exclusively as a daily vehicle and it did the job. Loved it.

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Could the fact that a majority of new vehicles nowadays are on PCP or similar?
Absolutely. A low ‘affordable’ monthly payment and huge balloon can very successfully disguise significant capital cost increases. It enables manufacturers and dealers to make hay with retail customers. Same with houses. The price is set on the margin by how much a bank will lend against it.

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The problem is when you “Load” a vehicle with ALL the extras you will never get all that money back when you sell it..Obviously you will get some back but “Extras” are for your benefit when you own it plus if you vehicle is loaded it will obviously be easier to sell. £2850 for two tone paint will not add £2850 on the resale value..I found this out to my cost on a Mercedes SLK with all the bits...Dealer says extras don’t count when trading in..

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The problem is when you “Load” a vehicle with ALL the extras you will never get all that money back when you sell it..Obviously you will get some back but “Extras” are for your benefit when you own it plus if you vehicle is loaded it will obviously be easier to sell. £2850 for two tone paint will not add £2850 on the resale value..I found this out to my cost on a Mercedes SLK with all the bits...Dealer says extras don’t count when trading in..
However, it's a different story when they put your car up for sale on their forecourt.

calibusje

calibusje

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Absolutely. A low ‘affordable’ monthly payment and huge balloon can very successfully disguise significant capital cost increases. It enables manufacturers and dealers to make hay with retail customers. Same with houses. The price is set on the margin by how much a bank will lend against it.
did not know what PCP or simular was but now I understand (English is not my native language): a loan.
"make hay with retail customers", do you mean that some pay more because there are so many having a loan for a california? Or do I not understand this properly?

Wogga

Wogga

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
However, it's a different story when they put your car up for sale on their forecourt.
So true Borris “fitted with £5k worth of factory fitted options!” is a common note. Unfortunately Glasses guide does not cover the options when the salesman’s looks it up :D:D

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
did not know what PCP or simular was but now I understand (English is not my native language): a loan.
"make hay with retail customers", do you mean that some pay more because there are so many having a loan for a california? Or do I not understand this properly?
Many buyers of new vehicles aren’t concerned about the capital cost of a new vehicle, just;
What deposit is required? Normally about 5% or less.
Monthly repayments.

On a PCP you pay the deposit, and the monthly repayments, over 36 months.
At the end of the 3 yr PCP contract you can hand the vehicle back at no cost, provided you haven’t exceeded the contracted milage and there is no damage otherwise there is an additional payment.
Or, you make a “ Balloon Payment “ to purchase the vehicle outright. This payment can be around 50% or so of the purchase price.

VW California Club