Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater Normal air vents.Engine Block Heater. Front Van

For heavens sake.
The Eberspacher heater is the Diesel powered Parking Heater. It is operated from the Control Panel in Continious Heat mode and can run as long as you have electric power from the leisure batteries and diesel in the tank.
The Heater remote control will start/stop the Eberspacher heater in Immediate Heat mode. This is used to warm up the vehicle or de-ice it and will run for a maximum 2 hrs. The timer is reset by driving the vehicle.

The Webasto heater heats the engine coolant to warm up the engine. It is automatic and only functions when the ambient temperature is 5c or below and the engine is started. It switches off when the coolant temperature reaches 75c. There are No manual controls for it.

I think it is time for you to sell your California and get something less sophisticated.
Understood so those 2 heaters i take it are in addition to the normal coolant engine cab standard heater , so total heaters amounts to 3 in total plus the air condioning ??

Understood i have 2 x auxillary heaters but if view post 41 , states in manual option the warm windscreen or front interior ?? via mobile app via a mode ?? i have the app and as iv said cannot see this option or mode to enable it ??
Also post 48 states , i presume if have this 2nd webasto heater there are vents on passenger side of vehicle which iv never seen ?? i will check when get van back of Volkswagen .

Last edited:
Try watching VW Cali salesman "California Chris" on Youtube. He's made loads of videos explaining different features of all the Cali models, here is one relating to the T6.1 Heating system
You still need to check your engine cab heating out with a garage for possible faulty thermostat.

Thanks that , watching video now found out there's actually. 4 heaters plus air con in van .
Cris says another seperate heater near side of boot area , that blows air just to rear boot space on left hand side .
Is that diseal heater ?

Well if your going to be this clever, there is actually only three "heaters" and they are all powered by diesel.

1. The engine that makes brmm brmm noises and makes the wheels go round.
2. Webasto Diesel heater under front passenger seat under car that heats the oil in the engine only if the outside temperature is below 5 degrees centigrade. You have no control over this!
3. Eberspacher Diesel heater under the drivers seat under car that heats the cabin when you are camping.

The heater in the dashboard is heated by number one, the engine, and blows hot air at you whilst your driving.
The heater (supplementary) in the back drivers side is heated by number one, the engine, and blows warm arm in the back for your passengers whilst you are going along.

The air conditioning is separate, single zone dries the air from outside (cools it) and blows it out of the dashboard. Dual Zone blows at the front (dashboard)and the back (vents up high in cabin).

When you understand the above you can try to have warm dry air by running the Air Conditioner at the same time as the heater. If it is cold and you need to be warm just use the heater!

When you select the windscreen clearing function the car deploys maximum heat (from engine) and maximum A/C to deliver hot dry air to Windscreen to demist. This is done automatically.

Thanks that , watching video now found out there's actually. 4 heaters plus air con in van .
Cris says another seperate heater near side of boot area , that blows air just to rear boot space on left hand side .
Is that diseal heater ?
Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 10.31.28.pngIt's a small electric heater warming the air coming out of the vent near the floor on the right side of your bench seat.
EDIT: turns out this is not true, see later posts

Last edited:
Well if your going to be this clever, there is actually only three "heaters" and they are all powered by diesel.

1. The engine that makes brmm brmm noises and makes the wheels go round.
2. Webasto Diesel heater under front passenger seat under car that heats the oil in the engine only if the outside temperature is below 5 degrees centigrade. You have no control over this!
3. Eberspacher Diesel heater under the drivers seat under car that heats the cabin when you are camping.

The heater in the dashboard is heated by number one, the engine, and blows hot air at you whilst your driving.
The heater (supplementary) in the back drivers side is heated by number one, the engine, and blows warm arm in the back for your passengers whilst you are going along.

The air conditioning is separate, single zone dries the air from outside (cools it) and blows it out of the dashboard. Dual Zone blows at the front (dashboard)and the back (vents up high in cabin).

When you understand the above you can try to have warm dry air by running the Air Conditioner at the same time as the heater. If it is cold and you need to be warm just use the heater!

When you select the windscreen clearing function the car deploys maximum heat (from engine) and maximum A/C to deliver hot dry air to Windscreen to demist. This is done automatically.
Watch the video link you posted , cali cris states there 4 th heater at rear near gas bottle area , he actually points to it ?
Very confusing. An says just blows out boot
vent.
He points to rear boot vent , within boot area near left side gas bottle ?
Update ah got it , the rear boot heater is part of the normal front heater , on same circuit??
Just read your post again , thanks

Last edited:
So the supplementry heater setting , under vehicle settings on radio control if untick , just deactivates rear heater only

Hello all, let’s try to keep this thread accurate for the benefit of Forum members. @secret lemonade drinker The Webasto Diesel under the LEFT side of the van heats the coolant, not the oil. My van has the factory installed optional “auxiliary coolant heater” which allows the driver to control and preprogram it, a common option in Germany where my van was first sold. Without this factory option the driver has no control over it, unless someone has installed an aftermarket controller.

Going by side pillars, A pillar (windshield), B pillar (behind front door) and C pillar (behind sliding door), the vents at the bottom of the B pillar are for the stationary air heater, located right underneath them under the RIGHT side of the van. Just inside the van at the bottom of the C pillar there is a rear heater outlet which gets its heat from the engine coolant, just like the cab vents. @pluc99 I have never heard of this being an electric heater. If you have info to confirm this, please post it and I will be happy to correct my info.

Very confusingly, only if your van has manual air conditioning and not Climatronic automatic climate control, there is a control for “rear heater” in the climate controls which will turn the heater vent at the bottom of the (read carefully) C pillar on or off. All Californias have this vent, but this control button is only on manual AC equipped vans, not on Climatronic equipped vans. Climatronic 3 zone has a button called “rear” to control the temp and fan speed of this vent and the rear ceiling vents. There is also a control panel on the rear ceiling side panel which lets rear passengers set their own temp and fan speed. This panel can be overridden from the front on 3 zone Climatronic by pressing the “sync” button on the front controls, which sets all 3 zones, driver, passenger and rear, to the driver’s settings. It’s only confusing because the VW manual is originally written in German, and the translation into English reads like VW hired the PR chief’s nephew’s girlfriend’s brother’s friend to use Google to translate it. Patience! We can get this straightened out, but please read this post carefully before posting an answer.

Last edited:
Some one will surely ask what the “rest” button does on Climatronic equipped vans. It uses residual engine coolant heat to heat the van through the normal heating system for about 1/2 hour after the engine is turned off.

If you put your AC on "auto", the middle vents in the dashboard will never blow hot air. This is to prevent you from falling asleep because of the heat.
Only the side vents, window and footwell vents will blow warm air.
If you put your AC on manual mode, on the dashboard vents, then the middle vents will blow warm air too.
@Little owl1963 The above posting seems to have escaped your attention but may address your problem.
Personally I found the handbook to be very good at explaining - if you haven’t got one you need to get one.

Hello all, let’s try to keep this thread accurate for the benefit of Forum members. @secret lemonade drinker The Webasto Diesel under the LEFT side of the van heats the coolant, not the oil. My van has the factory installed optional “auxiliary coolant heater” which allows the driver to control and preprogram it, a common option in Germany where my van was first sold. Without this factory option the driver has no control over it, unless someone has installed an aftermarket controller.

Going by side pillars, A pillar (windshield), B pillar (behind front door) and C pillar (behind sliding door), the vents at the bottom of the B pillar are for the stationary air heater, located right underneath them under the RIGHT side of the van. Just inside the van at the bottom of the C pillar there is a rear heater outlet which gets its heat from the engine coolant, just like the cab vents. @pluc99 I have never heard of this being an electric heater. If you have info to confirm this, please post it and I will be happy to correct my info.

Very confusingly, only if your van has manual air conditioning and not Climatronic automatic climate control, there is a control for “rear heater” in the climate controls which will turn the heater vent at the bottom of the (read carefully) C pillar. All Californias have this vent, but this control button is only on manual AC equipped vans, not on Climatronic equipped vans. Climatronic 3 zone has a button called “rear” to control the temp and fan speed of this vent and the rear ceiling vents. There is also a control panel on the rear ceiling side panel which lets rear passengers set their own temp and fan speed. This panel can be overridden from the front on 3 zone Climatronic by pressing the “sync” button on the front controls, which sets all 3 zones, driver, passenger and rear, to the driver’s settings. It’s only confusing because the VW manual is originally written in German, and the translation into English reads like VW hired the PR chief’s nephew’s girlfriend’s brother’s friend to use Google to translate it. Patience! We can get this straightened out.
Very well explained and written big thumbs up, obvious your very knowledgeable Clarinet .
Also big thank you to Lemonade drinker also for well explained input , although it did cross my mind had made boo boo about warming oil an not coolant .

Think might have been bit too intense for welsh Gas so sorry if blew your mind Ha Ha .

If volkswagen had explained all this in manual from start would made life easier for all.
What a thread an Sarga Ha ha .

Got there In the end. There we have it the Cali easy heating system ??

But wait bit?? Not over as yet.
One last question to Clarinet Bcn , the mastermind behind ♥️ this .

On the radio console under vehicle settings , says supplementry heater , can check / Tick this option under air conditioning settings or so says ??
Now from reading this Forum , the supplementry heater runs from the main engine heater , with the supplementry heater supplying the air vent at bottom of bench seat .
Now there are 2 x other vents in the actual BOOT Compartment , in cali criss video in this post , he states the 1 air vent in boot near gas bottle comes from this heater .
The other side of boot there is another vent , which from previous forums this relates to an air intake ONLY. , an no air / heat comes out this one .
What is your view on the supplimentry heater
Clarinet? ?

@Little owl1963 The above posting seems to have escaped your attention but may address your problem.
Personally I found the handbook to be very good at explaining - if you haven’t got one you need to get one.
I too find the manual to be very useful, but you realize that that puts us in the vanishingly small group, obviously of a certain age, who read manuals. My manual is 400 pages long. Just the manual for the audio/telephone system is 100 pages. For entertainment I reread them at least once yearly. I speak a certain amount of German, so when I come across something especially impenetrable I retranslate back into German and alles klar.

A trip back to the dealer for a better technical handover would help.

I too find the manual to be very useful, but you realize that that puts us in the vanishingly small group, obviously of a certain age, who read manuals. My manual is 400 pages long. Just the manual for the audio/telephone system is 100 pages. For entertainment I reread them at least once yearly. I speak a certain amount of German, so when I come across something especially impenetrable I retranslate back into German and alles klar.
Did you read my post #61 about supplimentry heater ?? And your overview opinion of this ??

Thanks

Very confusingly, only if your van has manual air conditioning and not Climatronic automatic climate control, there is a control for “rear heater” in the climate controls which will turn the heater vent at the bottom of the (read carefully) C pillar on or off. All Californias have this vent, but this control button is only on manual AC equipped vans, not on Climatronic equipped vans. Climatronic 3 zone has a button called “rear” to control the temp and fan speed of this vent and the rear ceiling vents. There is also a control panel on the rear ceiling side panel which lets rear passengers set their own temp and fan speed. This panel can be overridden from the front on 3 zone Climatronic by pressing the “sync” button on the front controls, which sets all 3 zones, driver, passenger and rear, to the driver’s settings. It’s only confusing because the VW manual is originally written in German, and the translation into English reads like VW hired the PR chief’s nephew’s girlfriend’s brother’s friend to use Google to translate it. Patience! We can get this straightened out, but please read this post carefully before posting an answer.
Thanks for being completely accurate and once again confusing the sh1t out of the OP!

Thanks for being completely accurate and once again confusing the sh1t out of the OP!
Lol completely understood his post .
Was just asking Clarinet to expand on supplimentry heater , as per last. Post .
He mentions air vent at base of pillar , but no mention of the 2x vents in rear luggage boot compartment??
My last post #61' explains thoroughly , if read correctly an slowly?
Please read the bit , which says Radio Control downwards ?

Lol completely understood his post .
Was just asking Clarinet to expand on supplimentry heater , as per last. Post .
He mentions air vent at base of pillar , but no mention of the 2x vents in rear luggage boot compartment??
My last post #61' explains thoroughly , if read correctly an slowly?
Please read the bit , which says Radio Control downwards ?
There are no heater vents at all in the boot. Just rewatched the California Chris video and it looks like you have confused the sliding door with the rear hatch. What there is in the boot, on the right, is an air intake for the secondary air conditioner condenser located behind that panel, only in vehicles with Climatronic 3 zone automatic climate control. I know because I just paid an ungodly sum of money to have a refrigerant leak repaired there. On the left side there is a panel which covers the jack compartment, which also houses the second leisure (not engine, second leisure, so 3 batteries in all) battery on Ocean models.

Last edited:
Well spotted on the video , I watch that again .
Under vehicle settings on radio console, did you no there setting there to either TICK or untick supplimentry heater ??

Well spotted on the video , I watch that again .
Under vehicle settings on radio console, did you no there setting there to either TICK or untick supplimentry heater ??
I have a challenge for you: can you answer that question yourself using the manual? It is quite easy and, uncharacteristically, clearly explained in the manual. If you can’t (it’s also explained clearly in California Chris’s video), it’s possible that the California is not the ideal vehicle for you, as that heater is one of the most useful and at the same time most easily operated systems on the California.

I have a challenge for you: can you answer that question yourself using the manual? It is quite easy and, uncharacteristically, clearly explained in the manual. If you can’t (it’s also explained clearly in California Chris’s video), it’s possible that the California is not the ideal vehicle for you.
Iv read manual. What page do you refer too ?
No mention of untick or tick option under vehicle settings as I can see ??

Which video , there are 3 diff ones ?

Last edited:
After 62 years of playing the clarinet, 50 of them professionally, every August I take a month off without playing, and in September start again with a C major scale. I don’t mind going back to basics, it helps to weed out errors that have crept in over the year, but it has to be done calmly, while paying attention. Otherwise it’s just a useless waste of my, and other people’s, time.

Some one will surely ask what the “rest” button does on Climatronic equipped vans. It uses residual engine coolant heat to heat the van through the normal heating system for about 1/2 hour after the engine is turned off.
It also uses residual cold to blow chilled air if thats what you want if you've been using the aircon.

Back