Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater Normal air vents.Engine Block Heater. Front Van

Just inside the van at the bottom of the C pillar there is a rear heater outlet which gets its heat from the engine coolant, just like the cab vents. @pluc99 I have never heard of this being an electric heater. If you have info to confirm this, please post it and I will be happy to correct my info.
I went over the information again and stand corrected. I had gone by California Chris' second video where he shows the supplementary heater for the C pillar in his hand. I jumped to the conclusion that it must be electrical because it made sense to me but he didn't actually say that. Piecing together what information I could find on other forums, I now believe (but still would like to have confirmed, maybe @Loz ?) that heated coolant is circulated with extended piping from the engine to the rear of the vehicle where a fan coupled with a heat exchanger/mini radiator picks up the heat and blows it through the C pillar vent.

It’s only confusing because the VW manual is originally written in German, and the translation into English reads like VW hired the PR chief’s nephew’s girlfriend’s brother’s friend to use Google to translate it. Patience! We can get this straightened out, but please read this post carefully before posting an answer.
i'm fluent in German and I can assure you that it's poorly written in the German version as well, translations don't really stand a chance.

I went over the information again and stand corrected. I had gone by California Chris' second video where he shows the supplementary heater for the C pillar in his hand. I jumped to the conclusion that it must be electrical because it made sense to me but he didn't actually say that. Piecing together what information I could find on other forums, I now believe (but still would like to have confirmed, maybe @Loz ?) that heated coolant is circulated with extended piping from the engine to the rear of the vehicle where a fan coupled with a heat exchanger/mini radiator picks up the heat and blows it through the C pillar vent.

i'm fluent in German and I can assure you that it's poorly written in the German version as well, translations don't really stand a chance.
I don’t know if the rear heater is run from the back with engine coolant, always assumed it was hot air from the front heat exchanger, but don’t know for sure. I do know that the rear AC condenser runs from AC refrigerant piped from the front compressor, since I just had a leak repaired.

Last edited:
I don’t know if the rear heater is run from the back with engine coolant, always assumed it was hot air from the front heat exchanger, but don’t know for sure. I do know that the rear AC condenser runs from AC refrigerant piped from the front compressor, since I just had a leak repaired.
Well, you learn something new every day. Here’s a link to a video that shows engine coolant is routed to the rear AC condenser/heat exchanger in the boot through the…auxiliar diesel coolant heater under the left side of the van! When the heated engine coolant gets to the back of the van it has its own heat exchanger to blow heat to the outlet at the bottom of the C pillar. Who knew? Now we do.

Last edited:
Does anyone else get this when they click on videos?

IMG_8318.jpeg

Back