Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! Wonky roof when lowering

The roof dropping on one side after about 3 days
seems to be a normal thing.
Ive seen a couple in dealers showrooms that have sagged a bit
on one side.
Have read that the roof is supposed to re-tension about 10 hours after the ignition is switched off unless the batteries are too low. From looking at Calis on the forecourt and in the showroom most seem to have been left to go flat. Nice to see they follow the same guidance given in the manual about charging for 12 hours once a month!:rolleyes:

Repaired without argument, although first dealer (where I bought the van) didn't do a great job as the problem quickly returned (they just tried to adjust the alignment and fix the chipped paint). Took the van to my local dealer the 2nd time around and they went to town on the problem. Following their discussions with the factory, they replaced lots of parts trying to get to the root cause. They did advise that the roof not coming down perfectly level is not necessarily a fault, so its a question of degree I guess. My roof was coming down >100mm more on one side. The pictures you posted look similar to the state my roof was in, although my roof has never started dropping of its own accord as you describe. Sounds like hydraulic fluid leaking back through a valve to me. If you have tried cycling the roof a few times as others suggested and it is still coming down on the wonk, it definitely sounds like a fault to me.
Thanks for the info Sheffield10! Good to hear what other peoples experiences have been like in getting things sorted out.

Our 69 plate Cali with less than 300 miles on the clock, we noticed this weekend, has the same issue. I phoned the dealer (Northampton Vindis) and they've booked it in immediately for a 3 days fix.... I noted above that someone wasn't happy with Vindis... I shall feedback after we have it dealt with.

Our 69 plate Cali with less than 300 miles on the clock, we noticed this weekend, has the same issue. I phoned the dealer (Northampton Vindis) and they've booked it in immediately for a 3 days fix.... I noted above that someone wasn't happy with Vindis... I shall feedback after we have it dealt with.
Hope all goes ok and all gets fixed. Ours went in for a repair but is still doing it and the dealer we ended up using (Wasn't Vindis) first told us it was normal and why would we stop lowering the roof part way down. They then told us their other Oceans did the same, which after viewing with them funny enough did not do the same and lowered evenly. They apparently changed one of the rams (and managed to get and leave hydraulic fluid down the side of the van) ultimately just to end up telling us it was within tolerance! Oh and to top it off they also managed to get oil/grease all over the headliner and roof bellows, which wasn't great!:headbang

Hope all goes ok and all gets fixed. Ours went in for a repair but is still doing it and the dealer we ended up using (Wasn't Vindis) first told us it was normal and why would we stop lowering the roof part way down. They then told us their other Oceans did the same, which after viewing with them funny enough did not do the same and lowered evenly. They apparently changed one of the rams (and managed to get and leave hydraulic fluid down the side of the van) ultimately just to end up telling us it was within tolerance! Oh and to top it off they also managed to get oil/grease all over the headliner and roof bellows, which wasn't great!:headbang

Wow... that's not great! I'm upset that such a big issue has presented itself within a month of pick-up but I'll see how the garage deal with it. As soon as I mentioned the problem they said it was a 3 day fix... which gives me hope they know what the issue is and how to fix.... but we'll see! Good luck with yours....

Wow... that's not great! I'm upset that such a big issue has presented itself within a month of pick-up but I'll see how the garage deal with it. As soon as I mentioned the problem they said it was a 3 day fix... which gives me hope they know what the issue is and how to fix.... but we'll see! Good luck with yours....
I feel for you! It can leave a bitter taste especially on such a high value vehicle. Ours was doing this pretty much from new (it's only about 4 months old now) too! Seems promising for you so fingers crossed. Oh and as I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread, take pictures/videos of the van inside and out when you drop it off just incase anything gets damaged. You will at least be able to check back and see if it was like it before or not.

Hi all, would be grateful for some advice.
We have a 2019 Ocean which has started to have a problem with the roof dropping on the drivers side alot quicker than the passenger side when lowering and raising.
The roof had also dropped down on the drivers side when the pop topped been up for a few hours. Is this normal or a possible fault?

I will add some pictures of the difference in height below.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 54515View attachment 54516View attachment 54517
Hi. If it’s a ‘19 plate Ocean you’re better off taking it to VW and getting them to repair it under warranty.

It didnt get off to a good start in Northampton Vindis this morning. Despite advising that I would need a minimum of 4 seats.... the 3 day hire vehicle was a 2 seat caddy..... so I am now booked in for next week....!

It didnt get off to a good start in Northampton Vindis this morning. Despite advising that I would need a minimum of 4 seats.... the 3 day hire vehicle was a 2 seat caddy..... so I am now booked in for next week....!
Not a good start being messed around. Hope you don't mind me asking as we still have the same issue with our roof, did you manage to get a courtesy vehichle free of charge or did you have to pay? We were quoted £12 per day for a courtesy vehicle while in for warranty work. We didn't bother in the end as I had another vehicle, but would have made things easier with dropping off the van.
Please keep us posted as to how things go with the repair. Hope all gets sorted.:thumb

Vehicle even!:headbang

Not a good start being messed around. Hope you don't mind me asking as we still have the same issue with our roof, did you manage to get a courtesy vehichle free of charge or did you have to pay? We were quoted £12 per day for a courtesy vehicle while in for warranty work. We didn't bother in the end as I had another vehicle, but would have made things easier with dropping off the van.
Please keep us posted as to how things go with the repair. Hope all gets sorted.:thumb
We didn't get as far as paying today but when I booked it in I was told it was a one off £15 charge for as many days as needed.... I saw £12 on the job sheet today so I assumed it was £12 plus vat?

We didn't get as far as paying today but when I booked it in I was told it was a one off £15 charge for as many days as needed.... I saw £12 on the job sheet today so I assumed it was £12 plus vat?
Thanks for the info. I never expected anything for nothing, but must vary between dealers I suppose. Hope all goes well with the repair.

Thanks for the info. I never expected anything for nothing, but must vary between dealers I suppose. Hope all goes well with the repair.
Normally they say the charge is for Insurance. But most fully comp insurance policies cover garage loan/courtesy vehicles.
I just show them the Insurance certificate, they either photocopy it or give in.

Normally they say the charge is for Insurance. But most fully comp insurance policies cover garage loan/courtesy vehicles.
I just show them the Insurance certificate, they either photocopy it or give in.
Handy to know for the future thanks!

Hello all. My van went in today and they have declared it not a fault! They have said that the last 7-8 inches when it is swapping from one mechanism to another it is quite normal to fall slightly to one side. They have confirmed this with VW central dept and compared against two other Van's in workshop. Before I collect in 2hrs are there any thoughts? I asked why they hadn't mentioned this when I reported the problem and they said they thought that the fault was over the entire drop which is an issue?!?

They have said that the last 7-8 inches when it is swapping from one mechanism to another it is quite normal to fall slightly to one side
Thats a new one on me.

When lowering the roof it should come down nice and even all
around.
A parallel sort of operation.
I would get the service manager out on the carpark and do the
roof operation, stop it when it starts going wonky and then ask him
if he really thinks its normal.

Hello all. My van went in today and they have declared it not a fault! They have said that the last 7-8 inches when it is swapping from one mechanism to another it is quite normal to fall slightly to one side. They have confirmed this with VW central dept and compared against two other Van's in workshop. Before I collect in 2hrs are there any thoughts? I asked why they hadn't mentioned this when I reported the problem and they said they thought that the fault was over the entire drop which is an issue?!?
Show them this video of the roof operation from VW, can't see any wonky roof on closing at 5'30"

I did show them that and they agreed that it wasn’t like mine but said it wasn’t a fault. They showed me another van in stock and it did exactly the same as mine. What with the impending closure of the garage I decided that I wanted the van back and said that whilst I wasn’t convinced it was resolved, it was at least registered with them as a problem. If anyone else has the same issue and gets it resolved, please can you advise what the problem was. Thanks

My roof dropped at the left side on warm weather. I had to pump up again and then lower it again. Most of the time the left side closed first, and then the right side.
Now, with my new hydraulic pump, when I open the roof, the left side gets slightly behind. So the right side is already completely opened and then the left side opens just a second later.
When lowering, I thought it was the right side that drops a bit more, but suddenly the left side drops an inch and then the roof closes almost equally.
I must say I have a new roof installed in 2015 due to corrosion (anyone heard of that?), so I am not sure if the roof is bolted exact on the same length left and right. Maybe one side is more to the front than the other (as I see the sealing of the roof isn't exactly placed the same left and right on the front spoiler (but that was replaced too, so I have no reference). I might have to measure if the roof is left and right bolted on the same place.

Yes I have a wonky lowering roof, but as long as it doesn't sag anymore, I am more than happy (for now).
I might have a look if everything is mounted correctly.

When we took ours in f
I did show them that and they agreed that it wasn’t like mine but said it wasn’t a fault. They showed me another van in stock and it did exactly the same as mine. What with the impending closure of the garage I decided that I wanted the van back and said that whilst I wasn’t convinced it was resolved, it was at least registered with them as a problem. If anyone else has the same issue and gets it resolved, please can you advise what the problem was. Thanks
We had a similar issue with the dealer we took our van too for this fault. First they said why would we stop lowering the roof part way down (we like to check the bellows don't get caught), then they tried the whole other Oceans we have do it so it's normal routine, which when we went to collect and compare with other Van's funny enough they were lowering evenly. They then palmed us off with the roof being within tolerance, but wouldn't tell us what these tolerances were. Pretty disappointed and feel fobbed off when it's a brand new van. Almost seems like VW don't want to uphold any warranty claims and are making things difficult for dealers to claim back the cost of the repair work.

I filmed my wonky roof operation.
Before, the left side of the roof was sagging in warm weather. Even when lifting up the roof, it was always the left side that was a little behind. When stopping halfway you could see the uneven roof.
Now, when lifting it's still the left side that is behind.
Today I showered my van and while the sun was out, I left the roof open for a small pressure test.
It seems all ok now. No sagging (yet).
This film is after a half day with the roof up.
Now you can see the right side lowering faster than the left side. Suddenly the right side stops, and then the left side jams in place to close close to even (right side still a little faster).
Might be the right ram that has had the best of it's life? I already replaced the left ram and the hydraulic pump.

Anyway, enjoy my wonky roof!

I filmed my wonky roof operation.
Before, the left side of the roof was sagging in warm weather. Even when lifting up the roof, it was always the left side that was a little behind. When stopping halfway you could see the uneven roof.
Now, when lifting it's still the left side that is behind.
Today I showered my van and while the sun was out, I left the roof open for a small pressure test.
It seems all ok now. No sagging (yet).
This film is after a half day with the roof up.
Now you can see the right side lowering faster than the left side. Suddenly the right side stops, and then the left side jams in place to close close to even (right side still a little faster).
Might be the right ram that has had the best of it's life? I already replaced the left ram and the hydraulic pump.

Anyway, enjoy my wonky roof!

Ha, thanks for the vid! That is wonky. I take it the roof works ok in this state and locks down properly and hasn't caused the roof to twist?

If you don't mind me asking do you know when your roof started doing this?
Mine like Amplefosters has been doing it pretty much from new (late 2019).

My roof sagged in the beginning (don't know exactly when, but probably within 2 years) after a day or 3 on the left side (my driver's side, your passenger's side).
After roof corrosion repairing in 2015 where the complete roof and front spoiler had been replaced, it was about immediately after a couple of hours in sunny weather (heat on the rams, hoses and roof where the pump is) that the left side started to sag.
I then replaced the left ram as that was a lot cheaper than the pump.
This didn't help, so eventually I replaced the pump on the first of february this year (2020), and since then this wonky behaviour is present.
So the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet is the right ram.
Might be worth changing that one too.
The roof isn't twisted yet, or it doesn't look like it's twisted yet.

My roof sagged in the beginning (don't know exactly when, but probably within 2 years) after a day or 3 on the left side (my driver's side, your passenger's side).
After roof corrosion repairing in 2015 where the complete roof and front spoiler had been replaced, it was about immediately after a couple of hours in sunny weather (heat on the rams, hoses and roof where the pump is) that the left side started to sag.
I then replaced the left ram as that was a lot cheaper than the pump.
This didn't help, so eventually I replaced the pump on the first of february this year (2020), and since then this wonky behaviour is present.
So the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet is the right ram.
Might be worth changing that one too.
The roof isn't twisted yet, or it doesn't look like it's twisted yet.
Damn that sounds expensive! Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it and at least it hasn't twisted the roof. It's not great at any age of vehicle, but just annoying when it's on a brand new van and it seems we are either being fobbed off or all Oceans do this?
Will have to play it by ear and see what happens while it's under warranty.

I still have the replaced left ram laying around.
I might try to change the right ram to see what it does then.
As I have a lot of spare time now, it isn't impossible to try to figure things out.
I'll keep you boys and girls updated. But I don't promise anything.

I still have the replaced left ram laying around.
I might try to change the right ram to see what it does then.
As I have a lot of spare time now, it isn't impossible to try to figure things out.
I'll keep you boys and girls updated. But I don't promise anything.
The right and left rams are the same are they not,
can you not get the spare one re-conditioned instead
of getting another ram.
Or is that you had in mind anyway.

That is definitely a wonky roof, i don't think that there is any danger
of the roof twisting, as the rear hinges are kind of free running.

Back