Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! Wonky roof when lowering

The rams are interchangeable (?), but the newer ram I got from Poland without the VW sticker on it, so I don't know if that Polish ram is certainly genuine. Doesn't really matter if the measurements are the same.
Funny thing is that before the pump change, everything worked more evenly, except from the left side always lowering faster than the right side.

The rams are not repairable as the outer parts are pressed together, instead of screwed into each other. This means either I have to reuse the old (in my opinion still good ram) or on the left side again, or on the right side.
As I have seen some crystalisation on the right ram (yellow? instead of pink, like the hydraulic fluid), there might be a starting problem on the right ram?
In worst case, I have to buy at least 1 new ram for the right side, or 2 new ones as the replaced ram is already 3 years old now, and maybe has been suffering from the defective pump?

Only the squeeling sound right before the roof levels itself is not nice to hear, but maybe a little lubrification on the sliders at the front might help?

Hmm, a lot of question marks, but as it is all the first time I am trying to find those things out, ther might be no wonder.

Pff, a lot of work to do, but a lot of time to do it too.

Funny thing is that before the pump change, everything worked more evenly, except from the left side always lowering faster than the right side.
Could it be an oil issue - as in not all of the air is out
of the system or not enough oil.
You could send that ram that you have off to get checked
couldn't you, there's loads of hydraulic places that could easily
check it out.

After too many times rising and lowering the roof, even making the pump stop working due to overheating, the oil level was still ok. So that should not be the problem.

I don't think now is a good time to find hydraulic places to check it out :rolleyes:.

I'll keep you updated once I go further with the problem, but let's stick to the OP instead of worrying too much about me.

Hello,

Did we find a conclusion to this? Is a wonky roof when lowering an actually issue?

My 2019 vehicle also comes down uneven but raises in perfect sync.

Thanks

Hello,

Did we find a conclusion to this? Is a wonky roof when lowering an actually issue?

Thanks
Hi Ainsy,
We didn't get anywhere with the dealer we took ours to with this issue. They claimed it is within manufacturers tolerances, but won't tell you what these tolerances are, which makes me a bit suspicious. I can understand it may not be perfectly symmetrical when it lowers but to have it drop so differently is a bit pee poor in my opinion.
I would like to know if anyone else has had any success or been given similar responses from their dealers.

I did show them that and they agreed that it wasn’t like mine but said it wasn’t a fault. They showed me another van in stock and it did exactly the same as mine. What with the impending closure of the garage I decided that I wanted the van back and said that whilst I wasn’t convinced it was resolved, it was at least registered with them as a problem. If anyone else has the same issue and gets it resolved, please can you advise what the problem was. Thanks
Hi Amplefosters,

Just wondered if you had any joy with sorting your roof as another member has just mentioned this issue with their Cali?

Hi Ainsy,
We didn't get anywhere with the dealer we took ours to with this issue. They claimed it is within manufacturers tolerances, but won't tell you what these tolerances are, which makes me a bit suspicious. I can understand it may not be perfectly symmetrical when it lowers but to have it drop so differently is a bit pee poor in my opinion.
I would like to know if anyone else has had any success or been given similar responses from their dealers.
Thanks CaliBear.

I need to go to the dealer for something else so I'll get them to check it. I'll let you know the outcome

Hello,

Thanks

My conclusion : almost every Cali suffers this eventually (allthough some don't even notice) as long it's not dropping down each time at speedy tempo....relax . Just be sure you first raise it up fully before lowering it fully.
Do a search on the forum and see it been brought up a lot but only a few accually needed to change the pump or struds.

My conclusion : almost every Cali suffers this eventually (allthough some don't even notice) as long it's not dropping down each time at speedy tempo....relax . Just be sure you first raise it up fully before lowering it fully.
Do a search on the forum and see it been brought up a lot but only a few accually needed to change the pump or struds.
I hear you, but not great on a brand new vehicle that's barely few months old!
If I had this 3 years in I wouldn't feel as bad.
I had searched before I started this Thread and most threads had got this sorted while under warranty or were out of warranty and just lived with it. I was wondering if VW had possibly changed their stance on these issues which it seemed in the past they would rectify under warranty.

VW does not "change much" when issues appear , examples plenty unfortunate.
Sure if under warrenty /young verhicle , bring it in and have examend , still many get worse in time after warrenty expires. Simply pressure drop in the system most of the time.

We didn't get anywhere with the issue.... BUT we had a night away at the weekend for the first time and when we lowered the roof after approximately 15hrs up it appeared to come down level!

Just to add to the thread, had the same with our 2018 Ocean and thankfully had the extended warranty. They tried replacing the rams first, then eventually the pump as well which seems to have fixed it. Would have been about £4k without the warranty for the rams and then the pump plus fitting ... so thank god for the extended warranty cover!

Back