Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much ‘stuff’ is too much?

English is quite a simple language, especially when it comes to our verb endings, they are certainly a lot less of them than major European languages such as French.

So to make it extra difficult we have Colloquialismes, an alternate dictionary of words we use instead of the proper nouns.

A subset of these are called Cockney rhyming slang, short phrases that rhyme with the target word.

Alan Whickers ( knickers)
Plates of meat (feet)
Mince pies (eyes)
I did well to come. I was never taught all of this in school. :D

English is quite a simple language, especially when it comes to our verb endings, they are certainly a lot less of them than major European languages such as French.

So to make it extra difficult we have Colloquialismes, an alternate dictionary of words we use instead of the proper nouns.

A subset of these are called Cockney rhyming slang, short phrases that rhyme with the target word.

Alan Whickers ( knickers)
Plates of meat (feet)
Mince pies (eyes)
Chalfont St Giles (piles). As is: "Me Chalfonts are givin' me gip."

(We used to live there.)

It very much depends on how many activities you do on holiday, more activities = more gear. For example last year for a two month trip to Europe we had mtb gear, hiking gear, rock climbing / feratta gear, camping gaz grill / cooker for outside cooking, and a paddle board, all fitted in the back and not above the top of the rear seats.

Clothes in a smallish hold all as these get washed on route.

Wardrobe is full of bedding: double duvet, two pillows, a sleeping bag, a blanket and two pairs of slippers! The drop-down cupboard over the back seat is full of washing bags and towels, and the under-seat cupboard has odds-and-ends like cleaning brushes and washing-up bowl, tea-towels etc. That leaves the rear shelf and underneath boot for crates full of clothing and food, which can be moved around. Or two guitars and an amp if I'm doing a festival. So arriving and leaving take about twenty minutes - including winding in the awning! We are very lucky with two things in the Cali: the picnic chairs in the tailgate and the picnic table in the sliding door - all stored away.

Whilst on holiday last summer touring the beautiful coastline north of the Humber with my dog, I stopped off on my last night at a nice campsite in Atwick. Shortly after arrival I noticed the family opposite were starting to pack up. They had an unbelievable amount of camping gear for a family of three (+plus dog). It took them nearly 5 hours after completely filling two cars, a trailer and roof box! I took a pic of my whippet, and they just happened to be in the background ;)

So, with many people now receiving their campers ordered during the Happy Camper event, this got me thinking…

How much stuff is too much?

Personally, I have quite a minimalist approach, just try to keep to the basics. I don’t use anything that requires hookup, but do allow myself a few luxuries like my Lafuma deckchairs - great for snoozing :)

What’s your approach to ‘stuff’ with your California?

View attachment 109622
We have an Ocean, not a blue wobbly thing, but the California. I have tinkered with different things to travel with and come to a good, for us, compromise.
We are two adults and german Shepard like companion, so we do have a soft floor mat and a blanket for her to lie on. (It reduced the vibration from the metalwork)
I got fed-up with boxes and bags moving around in the boot area, and considered installing a sliding drawer-like platform but they have issues. This add weight to the camper and reduce the available storage area. My current solution is a strong and light shipping trunk, in which I store anything that I need only when pitching-up.

I agree, when travelling more is often less, and more is often stress, but each to his/her own.
BTW: Kayleigh, very nice dog bed! Alice, our companion, would love it.

We are a family of 4. Two adults and two young boys. I personally am a bit of a psycho about bringing as little stuff as possible. I have strict rules and I challenge the rest of the family on anything and everything (new/extra) they want to bring. Yeah, I'm a fun guy ;-)

Everyone gets 1 packing cube for clothes. This goes for my wife as well ;-) All 4 cubes must fit in the big storage compartment next to the fridge.

On the flexiboard there is blankets, a foldable table and 2 chairs for the kids. Nothing else.

No drive-away awning, nothing on the outside of the van (except for the bikes, which I grudgingly bring along). Nothing on the floor of the van.

In my experience life in and around the Cali, and setting up and leaving again, is so much easier this way, that the entire holiday or getaway is much more pleasant for everyone.

Also, this allows me to keep almost everything we need in the van year round, which makes is so much easier to leave on a whim for a night or weekend away.
Family of four here too. I hate bringing so much with us as I'm the one usually having to do the packing/unpacking. However, stuck on a campsite in the usual torrential rain we tend to attract, an awning with plenty of entertainment for the kids is a must. So are the bikes so we can actually go out without all the "uh, my legs are too tired to walk" excuses.

So, I challenge everything going into the van but Mrs E has the final say and she is usually right!

Your whippet looks exactly like mine.

Great dog bed.
I agree, when travelling more is often less, and more is often stress, but each to his/her own.
BTW: Kayleigh, very nice dog bed! Alice, our companion, would love it.
Yes, the 3 Peaks beds are great for travelling. Very water resistant, easy to wipe down, fur does not stick to it. I can recommend!
Obviously for a whippet it needs a blanket or 3 :)

Whilst on holiday last summer touring the beautiful coastline north of the Humber with my dog, I stopped off on my last night at a nice campsite in Atwick. Shortly after arrival I noticed the family opposite were starting to pack up. They had an unbelievable amount of camping gear for a family of three (+plus dog). It took them nearly 5 hours after completely filling two cars, a trailer and roof box! I took a pic of my whippet, and they just happened to be in the background ;)

So, with many people now receiving their campers ordered during the Happy Camper event, this got me thinking…

Personally, I have quite a minimalist approach, just try to keep to the basics. I don’t use anything that requires hookup, but do allow myself a few luxuries like my Lafuma deckchairs - great for snoozing :)

View attachment 109622

We travel 4up... Nothing on the floors, nothing in the Toilet Room. We still carry too much (2 kettles) (1 driveaway awning and 1 awning tent room) (spare gas bottle) but otherwise I always think everything should be packed away in the space provided.

All bedding on the top bed, all clothes, shoes jackets, hairdryer, microwave and Ecoflow Delta in the wardrobe, all food in the shelves and cabinets, toilet bits in the toilet cabinet (3 girls and me = lots of this stuff) and then all camping bits (chairs, cadac, firepit etc under the bench seat. Anything else goes behind the bench seat under the sink area (hold about 200L of storage there)

Keeping the floor free from anything is the most important part...pulling over to use the toilet would be a nightmare if you used floor space for transporting items.

I did well to come. I was never taught all of this in school. :D
Also check out Rogers Profanisaurus.
There is a full text version on internet archive.
Over 18 only !!!
You will learn some amazing things.
Apologies to the OP…
Keeping on track, yes less is more.
Beer and Pepsi max. Coffee.
Blankets and pillow. Job done

Also check out Rogers Profanisaurus.
There is a full text version on internet archive.
Over 18 only !!!
You will learn some amazing things.
Apologies to the OP…
Keeping on track, yes less is more.
Beer and Pepsi max. Coffee.
Blankets and pillow. Job done
Oh you mean the Roger Mellie one :veryfunny

‘aris’ for backside. - a tasty bit of double rhyming slang.

On the thread though, I would say it’s true that we continue to take too much despite best efforts.

Nothing beats a Cali for Barrier-to-beer time. We reckon it’s less than 15 minutes.

‘aris’ for backside. - a tasty bit of double rhyming slang.

On the thread though, I would say it’s true that we continue to take too much despite best efforts.

Nothing beats a Cali for Barrier-to-beer time. We reckon it’s less than 15 minutes.
Now that’s what I’m talking.
15 minutes, barrier to beer time.
I’ll time myself next time and that’s going to be broken !
What’s got to be included?
Front blinds pulled, side window blinds on
Roof up, S2S inflatable pumped up and stowed upstairs.
Porta out, and in the living area.
Two front chairs turned around.
Anything else ?

Now that’s what I’m talking.
15 minutes, barrier to beer time.
I’ll time myself next time and that’s going to be broken !
What’s got to be included?
Front blinds pulled, side window blinds on
Roof up, S2S inflatable pumped up and stowed upstairs.
Porta out, and in the living area.
Two front chairs turned around.
Anything else ?
Brilliant!! Now there should really be separate “Barrier to Brew Time” thread!!
Should really include items that come with the Cali rather than any extras.
- Two front seats turned
- Awning out
- Roof up
- Two chairs and table set up
- Windscreen and front side blinds deployed
- Brew ready to drink (beer/wine/tea/coffee etc)
:thumb

- Two front seats turned
- Awning out
- Roof up
Coffee is also a subject matter.
I’d need EHU and pop in a Vurtue Pop capsule, put oat milk in my free frother, start that up.
Then pour them in.
That’s maybe 5 minutes work.
Then I like to clean the frother straight away as done want crusty milk sat in the spring thing !

We would qualify the Barrier-to-Beer criteria:
After paying for pitch and assuming there is no change of pitch etc..
Drive in (5 mph of course), decide which orientation for the door and level optimisation.
Place chocks and check level - slightly head-up in bed (never the other way round). Hook up wiggly-amps.
Pop the top and chuck duvet and pillows up there. Set up chairs and excavate something cool and rewarding from bottom of the fridge.
Never mind Gwendoline (our porta potty) or the blinds at this stage.
Oh.. and tie up Vizsla-dog to one of the wheels with her permitted 20’ of nylon rope.

15 minutes at a relaxed pace. Can be done in 7 but, we’ll, we are on holiday after all.

Coffee is also a subject matter.
I’d need EHU and pop in a Vurtue Pop capsule, put oat milk in my free frother, start that up.
Then pour them in.
That’s maybe 5 minutes work.
Then I like to clean the frother straight away as done want crusty milk sat in the spring thing !
All I can say is you’re probably not going to be the fastest if making coffee. :cool:
Barrier to Beer it is then :)

- Two front seats turned
- Awning out
- Roof up
That’s too much hassle.

Mines:
Open sliding door
Get beer from fridge
Sit on doorstep drinking beer.

Things like roof and blinds can wait till bedtime.

Drive in 5 mins , unless one way and can’t find the pitch , oh it’s happened, 3rd time round and we’re debating who said turn left.
Orientation, it’s often an issue given the California Awning drivers side and the ‘peculiarities’ of some site rules.
Levelling off, how can two people debate a spirit level, “och it’ll do”
Roof up, and it’s looking good.
Drive Away Awning, 30 minutes of ‘puffing n panting’ and cursing hard ground and pegs.
Moment of ‘self congratulation’ and nano second worry of “did we put the refrigerator on as we left home, is the wine and beer cool’, yes
All under the close watch of our Labrador Tavish, staked out at a safe distance and in awe of our ability to create a home under the stars in approximately 45 minutes and thinking “where’s dinner”

View attachment 109622
I don't take a lot of stuff but did you consider the possibility that someone in that family had health problems - friend used to take an extra, large tent and eqipment when the rest of camped very minimally at bike rallies, so he could set up his self dialysis system.
Or, as there were two cars, maybe they were packing for two families and one had been obliged to fly home for an emergency?

I don't take a lot of stuff but did you consider the possibility that someone in that family had health problems - friend used to take an extra, large tent and eqipment when the rest of camped very minimally at bike rallies, so he could set up his self dialysis system.
Or, as there were two cars, maybe they were packing for two families and one had been obliged to fly home for an emergency?
When there are two ways to be.
Always be kind. Always.
Wish we all lived to that mantra.