Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much ‘stuff’ is too much?

Ha that's a lot of stuff, always entertaining watching someone setup or pack up.

I do like a few comforts for transport sleep and eating, including:
- Bikes on the towbar rack. We prefer to stay places for 3 nights when on holiday, giving two whole days in each place, and enjoy leaving the van set up, exploring on 2 wheels
- Duvalays are a great invention, and zonesleep toppers and decent travel pillows make the beds nearly as good as home
- A rainbow screen cover makes it very dark downstairs for sleeping
- Thule awning sides can make the difference between sitting outside or having to be in, defending from rain, wind or sun.
- A Decathlon kitchen unit allows you to unpack your food and pans, and makes cooking outdoors better
- Rechargeable outdoor lights make the (van) awning a home, and are very small

I always travel with all of them (except bikes sometimes), but eg rarely bother with chocks (never if I’m on my own).

I do like a few comforts for transport sleep and eating, including:
- Bikes on the towbar rack. We prefer to stay places for 3 nights when on holiday, giving two whole days in each place, and enjoy leaving the van set up, exploring on 2 wheels
- Duvalays are a great invention, and zonesleep toppers and decent travel pillows make the beds nearly as good as home
- A rainbow screen cover makes it very dark downstairs for sleeping
- Thule awning sides can make the difference between sitting outside or having to be in, defending from rain, wind or sun.
- A Decathlon kitchen unit allows you to unpack your food and pans, and makes cooking outdoors better
- Rechargeable outdoor lights make the (van) awning a home, and are very small

I always travel with all of them (except bikes sometimes), but eg rarely bother with chocks (never if I’m on my own).
Sounds like a nice setup! For longer trips I have a similar kitchen unit, although I prefer to use a Decathlon gazebo (Arpenaz Base Fresh) instead of sides for the awning so that I can easily use the Cali if I want to, and still leave items setup on the pitch. I could do with some lighting though.. any recommendations?

Sounds like a nice setup! For longer trips I have a similar kitchen unit, although I prefer to use a Decathlon gazebo (Arpenaz Base Fresh) instead of sides for the awning so that I can easily use the Cali if I want to, and still leave items setup on the pitch. I could do with some lighting though.. any recommendations?
I recommend ones that have multi-functions, so you can minimise the number you need. There are loads available, but it is worth I think getting a lantern that can sit on a table and be bright white and dimmed at least. Water resistance is a feature worth paying for, as you're bound to leave it out sometime. Rechargeable is great so you can never run out of juice - just plug it into the Cali.
Kids (and I!) also like ones that change colour, or can flicker like candles. Surprising how they change the vibe with music playing, even make you feel a bit warmer (or is it just me?).
These are pricey but great.
https://uk.bioliteenergy.com/products/alpenglow-250?variant=40931711353002
Even these little fellas will make a difference
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BioLite-SunLight-Solar-Powered-Lantern/dp/B095KTJLR5/ref=sr_1_31?adgrpid=1178677363908342&hvadid=73667534680784&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=133103&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73667471754602:loc-188&hydadcr=3650_1858432&keywords=biolite&qid=1687265343&sr=8-31&th=1

Last edited:
I recommend ones that have multi-functions, so you can minimise the number you need. There are loads available, but it is worth I think getting a lantern that can sit on a table and be bright white and dimmed at least. Water resistance is a feature worth paying for, as you're bound to leave it out sometime. Rechargeable is great so you can never run out of juice - just plug it into the Cali.
Kids (and I!) also like ones that change colour, or can flicker like candles. Surprising how they change the vibe with music playing, even make you feel a bit warmer (or is it just me?).
These are pricey but great.
https://uk.bioliteenergy.com/products/alpenglow-250?variant=40931711353002
Even these little fellas will make a difference
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BioLite-SunLight-Solar-Powered-Lantern/dp/B095KTJLR5/ref=sr_1_31?adgrpid=1178677363908342&hvadid=73667534680784&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=133103&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73667471754602:loc-188&hydadcr=3650_1858432&keywords=biolite&qid=1687265343&sr=8-31&th=1
Thanks for the details. I will check them out :thumb

‘aris’ for backside. - a tasty bit of double rhyming slang.

On the thread though, I would say it’s true that we continue to take too much despite best efforts.

Nothing beats a Cali for Barrier-to-beer time. We reckon it’s less than 15 minutes.
"Barrier-Beer time"? What's that then?

We went through several incarnations as we used to hire a cali for our trips. I think we learned what we personally liked to have with us. We now have a set of basics which live in the van and add to it as required by the specific trip. I will say two things have made the process in our own van so much easier, these are the Spacemate slide out draw, well worth the weight penalty for us and secondly Duvelay sleeping bags , which are put out in the pop in a matter of seconds and only a couple of mins to pack away, both stored on the rear shelf for travel. I must say a long weekend away with 4 grandchildren was interesting but this did involve small driveaway awning and the wind out awning with sides on, making an enclosed tunnel.
So i think every situation requires slight tweaking, but a basic packed van is a great starting point.

Edited : @andyinluton

I’ve got three twists (Twist & Twirls =Girls) what chance do I have on a Walnut (Walnut whip = trip) it’s simply not worth the stress on me ten speeds (Ten speed gears = Ears ) getting them to cut back on the drag (Clothes) In the Pan (slice pan = Van)

Last edited:
I’ve got three twists what chance do I have on a Walnut, it’s simply not worth the stress on me ten speeds getting them to cut back on the drag In the Pan
Having teenage kids & working with a lot of foreign labour, I am pretty good at understanding things in many languages.
On this occasion I have to admit complete defeat. I don't have Scooby what that means - could you turn on the English subtitles please?