Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how to update built in sat nav?

Fair enough.
The V13 is advertised as the 2016 version.
I am not sure if I can share my new disc with friends once I have uploaded it, or can rent it out at a tenner a go, to help pay for the next one?

I guess I have just got a new beautiful toy and wanted it to start with all nice new up to date things.

Thinking about it, some of my walking maps are priced in shillings and pence, but seem to work pretty well! The old material ones, remember them?
My wife has made me replace all my old maps following a major error. We were in the middle of a long walk came over the brow of a hill and were met by a motorway. We had to abandon the walk as we couldn't get round it. Sometimes she is right

So, how do you update the system? Just put the disc in and sit back? I am not IT literate and even find it difficult to understand the rns 510 booklet!

Yes, it will ask if you want to copy to the hard drive or run from the DVD.
Takes quite a while so don't panic, just put the kettle on, a few times.

My wife has made me replace all my old maps following a major error. We were in the middle of a long walk came over the brow of a hill and were met by a motorway. We had to abandon the walk as we couldn't get round it. Sometimes she is right
only sometimes??

The Map SD card needs to be an official VW one or it won't work, you can buy one on eBay (get the same or larger memory as your current one) and then overwrite the new maps on it and have your old one as a spare just in case you have any issues. That's how I do it on my Tiguan Discovery Media.

Updated very recently; Discover Media (not the plus version).

Backed up the old map.
Formatted the VW card.
Downloaded the new map.
It was time consuming but works. Tested on the new section of the A21 south of Tonbridge yesterday.

I’ll probably only update every 2nd year. Next time will be after the A14 upgrade north of Cambridge is completed.

I'd suggest that you watch the video California Chris. It explains how to do it

Updated very recently; Discover Media (not the plus version).

Backed up the old map.
Formatted the VW card.
Downloaded the new map.
It was time consuming but works. Tested on the new section of the A21 south of Tonbridge yesterday.

I’ll probably only update every 2nd year. Next time will be after the A14 upgrade north of Cambridge is completed.
Hi Amarillo,

Following you update, on some roads did you get X2 national road symbles ie 40/50mph - 60/70mph
I did following my update.

Hi Amarillo,

Following you update, on some roads did you get X2 national road symbles ie 40/50mph - 60/70mph
I have the two speed limits (lower superimposed over the higher speed limit). Bloody annoying. Anyone know how to get rid of the lower (commercial vehicle / lorry?) speed limit indicator?

Hi Amarillo,

Yes. It’s ridiculous. Surely VW could let you input your vehicle.

I always find it odd when I see trucks with multiple speed labels. 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90. How the hell are we supposed to know which applies!?

I have the two speed limits (lower superimposed over the higher speed limit). Bloody annoying. Anyone know how to get rid of the lower (commercial vehicle / lorry?) speed limit indicator?
Have spoken the the Martin, VW tec expert about this and apparently this cant be removed, looks like we are stuck with it.

Yes. It’s ridiculous. Surely VW could let you input your vehicle.

I always find it odd when I see trucks with multiple speed labels. 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90. How the hell are we supposed to know which applies!?
30 40 50 etc is kph speed limits on different class roads in Europe & normally on european trucks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

30 40 50 etc is kph speed limits on different class roads in Europe & normally on european trucks.
I can cope with one or two, but when there is a cluster of five or more different limits I don't know how any following car can work out which should apply at any given moment.

roll back to the previous version if you backed up the sd card perhaps?

Until the next upgrade perhaps?

There is a new update posted yesterday on the VW website. I think it may have eliminated the dual speed limit problem. I downloaded it this evening.

Great well done please let us know if it has. Very much so.

Will

Great well done please let us know if it has. Very much so.

Will
I believe it has. No evidence of dual speed limits today on a trip from London to Birmingham and back via Abingdon.

There is a new update posted yesterday on the VW website. I think it may have eliminated the dual speed limit problem. I downloaded it this evening.
Could you post a link please or let me know what the version is, as when I try, it says my all Europe map is up to date (with the two limits present), which I downloaded a month ago, version - 5NA.919.866.R 1115 ECE AS 19/20
Perhaps the smaller maps have been updated?
Thanks

Last edited:
I updated ours this week, the update done at my work kept crashing and saying problems with space. Then it said couldn't down load and crashed during installation.

I used the VW van online chat who said to reformat the SD card (using the format type which begins with N***).

The discovery care said it didn't recognize the SD card, so I clicked the other option to use my own as card and then it worked perfectly.

When putting back in the van do it with radio turned off then turn it on and should work. If not take out and repeat.

Worked for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Select "California"

Select "Discover Media"

Select "Bundle....." (I used bundle 1)

Thank you.
I've updated it, but still shows two limits today...:(

Select "California"

Select "Discover Media"

Select "Bundle....." (I used bundle 1)
Hi thanks for your reply sorry so long to get back as been away. Did it work for you or do you still have x2 speed limits.