Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Thanks, that gives me much more confidence.
We can’t wait to collect our California after the disappointment with the previous leaking bellow. Breeze Poole have been excellent in taking back our previous California (without question), they were fully supportive and we are so pleased that we purchased through them.
Agreed. Breeze in Poole are excellent.

I got to try the bellows out with rain all night and I’m happy to report no leaks. I woke up at 2am to take a look at the seams and bone dry. I have the 04S bellows with the A sticker. Production 12/10/2023.
Don't know what the significance this A sticker has. My bellows are 13/10/23 with no A sticker. In my test they started leaking around the 7 hour point, nowhere near the level on the 03S bellows. It was raining most of the time. It's exactly the same point, coming out the lower seem. When I put the pop top down for the night it continued dripping onto the front seat. Had to put the sink bowl there to catch it.

20240127_164809.jpg

I got to try the bellows out with rain all night and I’m happy to report no leaks. I woke up at 2am to take a look at the seams and bone dry. I have the 04S bellows with the A sticker. Production 12/10/2023.
Great news :)

Don't know what the significance this A sticker has. My bellows are 13/10/23 with no A sticker. In my test they started leaking around the 7 hour point, nowhere near the level on the 03S bellows. It was raining most of the time. It's exactly the same point, coming out the lower seem. When I put the pop top down for the night it continued dripping onto the front seat. Had to put the sink bowl there to catch it.

View attachment 119021
Not such great news.

I'm the owner of a 2023 van with a bellows that leaks from the horizontal seam at the front below the semi-circular window. I took the van into my local VW van centre and they told me that VW are saying that the bellows are not totally waterproof and therefore they can't do anything. I've attached a pic of the label attached to my bellows in case anyone can tell me what this means?

PXL_20240210_123102758.jpg

I'm the owner of a 2023 van with a bellows that leaks from the horizontal seam at the front below the semi-circular window. I took the van into my local VW van centre and they told me that VW are saying that the bellows are not totally waterproof and therefore they can't do anything. I've attached a pic of the label attached to my bellows in case anyone can tell me what this means?

View attachment 119024
I’d go to another dealership.

Sounds like Liverpool and Poole are good ones. Sure there are others.

View attachment 119024
Your QC tag shows your bellows are 03S version (the potential leakers) and manufacturing/QC date is 04/07/23 (before VW claim to have made any modifications to the design to remedy the water resistance).

You haven't described the weather conditions when your bellows leaked - the relevance being that your owners handbook (california supplement p13) says; close the pop top if there is strong wind or strong wind with driving rain. So, if you had the roof up in storm Isha and got wet, VW will say tough. If, as most of us have, you had your roof up in normal British weather (several hours of steady light to moderate rain / winds) and you got wet, then join the club, you've got a leaker and a legitimate case for VW to replace the bellows with the 04S version manufactured after 09/11/23.

If your local dealer won't take you seriously, try a different dealer as others have suggested, or get in touch with VW customer services. If you want to go straight to the organ grinder's assistant, email your details, bellows fault, photos etc. to 'executive.office@vwcv.co.uk'. They know all about this issue as they are already dealing with dozens of cases, and may be more helpful than your dealer.

Good luck

View attachment 119024
The old bellows were though..mention that to them

The old bellows were though..mention that to them
It would seem from this v long thread that anyone looking at a near newCali Ocean should be cautious and maybe not buying a 2023 model is the best way to avoid grief .

it would seem that folks are now pretty clear as to what to look for come late 2023 when things hopefully changed for the better . But from the other end of the time spectrum when did the problem actually kick off? Are all 2022 vehicles safe bets?

It would seem from this v long thread that anyone looking at a near newCali Ocean should be cautious and maybe not buying a 2023 model is the best way to avoid grief .

it would seem that folks are now pretty clear as to what to look for come late 2023 when things hopefully changed for the better . But from the other end of the time spectrum when did the problem actually kick off? Are all 2022 vehicles safe bets?
The bellows were changed late Autumn 2022.

The bellows were changed late Autumn 2022.
Thanks Dave . Anyone out there who has taken a chance and purchased a lightly used or pre reg 2023 , of which there still seem to be quite a few .

Thanks Dave . Anyone out there who has taken a chance and purchased a lightly used or pre reg 2023 , of which there still seem to be quite a few .
There is no risk to the savvy 2023 buyer. The cali's remain under factory warranty for at least another 18 months.

Thanks - appreciate the warranty point of course . It is just the grief of having to go through the bellows replacement process if necessary that puts me off.
presumably one can’t simply ask for replacement ( To the 04S version if my reading of this thread is correct) at the outset but has to wait until any problem arises

Thanks - appreciate the warranty point of course . It is just the grief of having to go through the bellows replacement process if necessary that puts me off.
presumably one can’t simply ask for replacement ( To the 04S version if my reading of this thread is correct) at the outset but has to wait until any problem arises
You are correct. I think this highlights the importance of choosing a good dealership, as with any issues that my crop up in ownership, the after care is what it is all about and can make a very big difference to the experience. This is true of the bellows, as it is true of any component that makes up the van.

You are correct. I think this highlights the importance of choosing a good dealership, as with any issues that my crop up in ownership, the after care is what it is all about and can make a very big difference to the experience. This is true of the bellows, as it is true of any component that makes up the van.
...any number of things can go wrong in reality, and then you need a good dealership to get it sorted for you :) In reality, the roof bellows are a relatively simple fix, especially now they have a revised/non leaking replacement available (or so it appears).

We did - registration March 23 - 625 miles - with our previous van we always used a roof topper and will do again so hopefully no leak issue. Fingers Crossed

Looking for other peoples' experiences with the new double lined pop top roof (the one that is grey outside / cream inside), and any potential solutions to the problem of leaking though the seams and fabric.

In the last week we've had complaints from customers on all four of our March 2023 Oceans that the new style pop tops have leaked, mostly though the seams in heavy rain or constant drizzle. Each of them has the new double lined lined pop top roof (grey outside / cream inside). It's not a problem that we had with our "old style" 2022 vehicles (the ones with the single grey pop top fabric) - I think it might be an issue with the new design.

I've read on the forums that putting the pop tops through a few wet / dry cycles will sort the issue as the fibres tighten up - has anyone experienced this with the new style pop top?

If not, has anyone tried something like a Nikwax application to improve waterproofness?
Hi there Schadenfroid,
I purchased a a brand new California Ocean 4 mo in Nov 23 bellows label says 8/23 with new style canvas light inside . We went away for a couple of nights at the weekend and intermittent drizzle and the roof leaked all over front panel and the sides at the back this resulted in placing towels around the inside of roof .The outside was soaked through and not beading water We were not impressed as you can imagine . Speaking to supplying dealer tomorrow .
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there Schadenfroid,
I purchased a a brand new California Ocean 4 mo in Nov 23 bellows label says 8/23 with new style canvas light inside . We went away for a couple of nights at the weekend and intermittent drizzle and the roof leaked all over front panel and the sides at the back this resulted in placing towels around the inside of roof .The outside was soaked through and not beading water We were not impressed as you can imagine . Speaking to supplying dealer tomorrow .
are they 03S or 04S?

Last edited:
Hi there Schadenfroid,
It's worth reading the 79 pages before diving straight into it with your first post.

It's worth reading the 79 pages before diving straight into it with your first post.
Also worth speaking to your dealer first off. They are likely to be aware of the issues and request a video of it leaking. Then hopefully book you in for a replacement.

You just need to be aware of what version they are replacing it with.

Also worth speaking to your dealer first off. They are likely to be aware of the issues and request a video of it leaking. Then hopefully book you in for a replacement.

You just need to be aware of what version they are replacing it with.
Unless said dealer is in Edinburgh, in which case they will say its not waterproof and to go away.

Back