Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking roof seal

If the channels where the roof mechanism drops into is filling with water, then this would indicate your drains are not draining, or draining quick enough...

I'll post a pic tomorrow for comparison :thumb

If the channels where the roof mechanism drops into is filling with water, then this would indicate your drains are not draining, or draining quick enough...
Those drains are fine. I've checked them. It looks more like the issue is water draining from the gutter on the top of the pop top, like the ones shown in the pic withe solar panel attached (not my van)

T5Caliabove_900x900.png

Ah, that makes more sense where the water is on the roof headlining... and possibly a bit more serious...
I'll have a think, but you could try taping over the rail as a temporary test...

Try taping over each of the rivets and check for gaps around the rail, there must be sealant under the rail, no sealant = leak
But you cannot check without removing the rail !

Last edited:
I have marked up a couple of you photos to try and get a better understanding of the issue and try to highlight several things

Can you confirm the text I have annotated on your pictures is correct?

091149E0-90F8-415F-8299-9E836751746D.pngACB76CDA-5E05-4892-BA77-FC87EECFE896.jpeg

Post number 30, second picture,: can you confirm is this photo is looking toward the windscreen, ( front of the van) or away toward the rear ?

Post number 30, second picture,: can you confirm is this photo is looking toward the windscreen, ( front of the van) or away toward the rear ?
This is stood looking at the front of the roof above the windscreen from the front. The gap is directly above the windscreen.

We had a similar problem by the looks of your photo. VW did a water test and it transpired that a couple of the rivets on one of the silver channels on the roof were letting water in. Required a new roof.Since you’re still under guarantee that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately we were out of warranty!

We had a similar problem by the looks of your photo. VW did a water test and it transpired that a couple of the rivets on one of the silver channels on the roof were letting water in. Required a new roof.Since you’re still under guarantee that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately we were out of warranty!
Fingers crossed.

Strangely, since booking it back in for VW to look at I haven't seen a problem. Typical. I'll see what they come back with next week.

I had a water leak at back on the right side once, after I got a new roof.
It appeared to be the hole under the plastic trim at the end of the roofrail.
If you pull out the black tab in the plastic trim, there are in total of the roof 4 holes. They should be filled up with silicone or whatever. Mine had a very small hole as the sealant wasn't completely filled up. Just filled it up with some silicone and no water anymore.

Maybe you have this on the front left trim? Worth looking.

So an update on this......

VW had it in for a week while I was away and opted to replace the canvas. I explained that the leak was happening whilst the roof was closed but they were sure that this would fix it......it hasn't. I also had quite a lot of water through the seal on the tailgate this weekend too.

I know the weather's been crap the last few days but even so....

There should not be a gap around In the seal when the roof is closed.

I tried to highlight this in my previous post, marking up your photos accordingly where the seal is not fitted correctly at the front.
it is clear that water is entering the channels in volume whilst the roof is down and is not able to sufficiently drain before breaching the canvas level, allowing water into the van.
The presence of grit in the various channel voids suggests the seal is allowing a volume of water to enter freely, carrying the grit from the body / roof with it, the water is flooding the front channels and breaching the level of the canvas, before eventually escaping via the side drains. I suspect this is exacerbated when you drive the van ?
I suspect if you park nose down (inclined) the problem will only occur when driving !
Whilst driving Water will be forced into the void, via the profile in the panel toward the incorrectly fitted roof seal, however the water should drain via the rear drains.
Quite simply until you have the roof seal seated properly water will continue to pour into the channels whilst the roof is in the down position.
Correct the poor roof seal and I would suggest the problem will be fixed.
IMO it’s like leaving a window slightly open, then wondering where the water is coming from!
Close the window and the problem goes away.
The roof seal is designed to stop water freely entering the roof channels whilst the roof is down.
When the roof is up the channels drain to the four drains located front and rear.
Water is not supposed to enter the roof void with the roof down.
A little water looks like a lot when it is spread over a relatively large area
Get that seal fixed by a dealer that knows what it should look like when fitted properly

There should not be a gap around In the seal when the roof is closed.

I tried to highlight this in my previous post, marking up your photos accordingly where the seal is not fitted correctly at the front.
it is clear that water is entering the channels in volume whilst the roof is down and is not able to sufficiently drain before breaching the canvas level, allowing water into the van.
The presence of grit in the various channel voids suggests the seal is allowing a volume of water to enter freely, carrying the grit from the body / roof with it, the water is flooding the front channels and breaching the level of the canvas, before eventually escaping via the side drains. I suspect this is exacerbated when you drive the van ?
I suspect if you park nose down (inclined) the problem will only occur when driving !
Whilst driving Water will be forced into the void, via the profile in the panel toward the incorrectly fitted roof seal, however the water should drain via the rear drains.
Quite simply until you have the roof seal seated properly water will continue to pour into the channels whilst the roof is in the down position.
Correct the poor roof seal and I would suggest the problem will be fixed.
IMO it’s like leaving a window slightly open, then wondering where the water is coming from!
Close the window and the problem goes away.
The roof seal is designed to stop water freely entering the roof channels whilst the roof is down.
When the roof is up the channels drain to the four drains located front and rear.
Water is not supposed to enter the roof void with the roof down.
A little water looks like a lot when it is spread over a relatively large area
Get that seal fixed by a dealer that knows what it should look like when fitted properly
Agree 100%.

so.....VW have it in again. I've also had some water in through the tailgate. They've done tests and it looks like water is getting in at the rear and finding its way to the front of the vehicle.

They're speaking to VW but think they may need to replace the whole roof.....which is on back-order and they don't know when stock would be available to them.

so.....VW have it in again. I've also had some water in through the tailgate. They've done tests and it looks like water is getting in at the rear and finding its way to the front of the vehicle.

They're speaking to VW but think they may need to replace the whole roof.....which is on back-order and they don't know when stock would be available to them.

They will be replacing the front headlining, upper matress and anything else that becomes water damaged as well then ?

There must be a temporary fix, either new seal or sealant to the roof rail fixing to stop further water ingress and damage.

You'd have thought.

VW technical have now asked them to remove the bellows again to check the mounting flanges and the ones on all the moving parts of the roof. They're also replacing the canvas again!

So the final result of this is that the whole roof was removed under instruction from VW technical, as they are replacing the lot. The bellows etc. are on back-order with no ETA for when they'll be in. I was initially told that they'll strip it back enough to do all the checks and then put it back to a state that I can take it back whilst waiting for parts. It turns out that this isn't actually possible to do. My van has been in for coming up to 4 weeks and they can't guarantee that I'll even have it back before Easter.

So the final result of this is that the whole roof was removed under instruction from VW technical, as they are replacing the lot. The bellows etc. are on back-order with no ETA for when they'll be in. I was initially told that they'll strip it back enough to do all the checks and then put it back to a state that I can take it back whilst waiting for parts. It turns out that this isn't actually possible to do. My van has been in for coming up to 4 weeks and they can't guarantee that I'll even have it back before Easter.
I see you are located in Stockport? Are you using Manchester CVW?

Finally got my van back. Whole new riff fitted. Should have had it back in March but they were waiting for a back ordered part. Turns out the back order part was the wiring loom for the lighting....which they had just removed a working one of from the old roof. As it arrived we all went into lockdown. Fingers crossed it’s all sorted now and we can soon get away.

My roof had the same issue I thought it was the elevated roof rails there are rivets in the channels I cleaned them then brushed radweld for sealing radiators/boilers on them.

My roof had the same issue I thought it was the elevated roof rails there are rivets in the channels I cleaned them then brushed radweld for sealing radiators/boilers on them.
....Did using radweld actually repair the leak?
Can you describe the process please?
I have a 2008 se with a leak in the roof and found out today that it has NOT had any roof work done under warranty.

If you're certain it is the elevated roof,there is not many places for the roof to leak.
The telltale sign for me was a smal area of damp on the inside lining right under the roof rail in the middle of the roof.
You could use silicone,paint but I tried radwel and let capillary action draw the liquid in.ok so far but I will have to apply again,no doubt.
Unfortunately they are special rivets probably not the pop rivet type so your stuck with them unless you take all the lining down.Earlier threads says it's glued and almost impossible to remove without wrecking the lining.