Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery not charging when driven

Good morning all,

Just a quick follow on from this, I checked mine last night as I can't remember seeing it charge. I've only had the van just under a year so I'm still not fully up to speed yet so forgive the ignorance.

When the ignition was started it was showing a G on the display but a minus figure on the current. I left it for a while and it was fluctuating in the minus range (between -6 and -4 ish), but I noticed it kicked in to charge (showing >>20A on the display) when I switched on the vehicle lights - which I thought was a bit odd.

Is this normal behaviour? Should it charge constantly or just when some logic decides to switch it on/off? The battery is at about 80% charge so not full, so I guess i'd expect it to start charging as soon as the engine is running.

Good morning all,

Just a quick follow on from this, I checked mine last night as I can't remember seeing it charge. I've only had the van just under a year so I'm still not fully up to speed yet so forgive the ignorance.

When the ignition was started it was showing a G on the display but a minus figure on the current. I left it for a while and it was fluctuating in the minus range (between -6 and -4 ish), but I noticed it kicked in to charge (showing >>20A on the display) when I switched on the vehicle lights - which I thought was a bit odd.

Is this normal behaviour? Should it charge constantly or just when some logic decides to switch it on/off? The battery is at about 80% charge so not full, so I guess i'd expect it to start charging as soon as the engine is running.
Yes normal, the blue-motion technology allows the alternator to idle(no charge) when the starter battery is over 80%. The fact that you saw greater than 20A is a good sign and means its working as it should.

Yes normal, the blue-motion technology allows the alternator to idle(no charge) when the starter battery is over 80%. The fact that you saw greater than 20A is a good sign and means its working as it should.

Thanks Loz! Brilliant. Thank you.

You’re welcome, pleasure to meet you both, any excuse to get into the A Fuse box :)
View attachment 35569
And a new 100A fuse and you’re good to go..

Hi there,

Thanks for all of the useful advice on the forum.
I have been trying to solve a very similar issue to this post, leisure batteries charge fine on hookup but not when driving despite G symbol being displayed. New leisure batteries in the last 6 months. Have checked voltage of both leisure and starter battery. I am keen to check the fuses in this photo - but I cannot work out where in the engine bay this is?! Sorry, aware this is likely a very daft question. Any pointers greatly appreciated! Thanks @Loz

Hi there,

Thanks for all of the useful advice on the forum.
I have been trying to solve a very similar issue to this post, leisure batteries charge fine on hookup but not when driving despite G symbol being displayed. New leisure batteries in the last 6 months. Have checked voltage of both leisure and starter battery. I am keen to check the fuses in this photo - but I cannot work out where in the engine bay this is?! Sorry, aware this is likely a very daft question. Any pointers greatly appreciated! Thanks @Loz
Under the starter battery, there is a big black box. Try to unscrew all the screws, after you put out the battery, plate that holds the battery.
Not a very fun job to do...

Under the starter battery, there is a big black box. Try to unscrew all the screws, after you put out the battery, plate that holds the battery.
Not a very fun job to do...

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look now, is it OK to disconnect the starter battery or will this cause issues? Thanks, Kristee

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look now, is it OK to disconnect the starter battery or will this cause issues? Thanks, Kristee
Probably not much issues.
If you have a charger, you could try to put on the charger on the leads before disconnecting the battery leads. Just isolate them very well.

Same question but slightly different vehicle with different configuration of fuses etc under the passenger seat.

So, my 2019 Beach - does not charge the leisure battery when driving.

Seems to charge oK with solar and hookup.
(Solar hopeless mid-winter mind you)

I'm measuring the voltage with the Victron Bluetooth controller. It was ~10.9 volts yesterday & parking heater wouldnt come on (hence why I checked it).

Put it on electric overnight and was 13v this morning but still not properly charged I think as heater would still not come on and watching the victron, as I switched on the heater the battery voltage dropped to 5v.

This is the configuration under my passenger seat -- please can someone advise me where to look / which fuse? etc.....

thanks ever so much

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 26
Is the 80A fuse okay?
if yes, pull it out, and check for voltage in the fuse recepticle.
if none, you’ll have to remove the battery in the engine compartment, remove the cover to the E box, and check the status of the 100 amp fuse third from the left.

Voltage at 80 amp fuse = zero with engine running and also with engine off....thanks @Loz

PS, can I just disconnect the battery without worry of electronic /computer mishaps?

Last edited:
Hi @Loz

Thanks for your advice -- In the end by the time the 100A fuse arrived, the van was due a service so I let VW look at it.

In the interim I noted that actually ~13v was being measured at battery (on the victron controller) during engine running. Battery still measured 13 volts or so when engine off - but immediately dropped to anything between 5v and 10v when parking heater switched on (which meant the parking heater switched off immediately)> I was starting to think that the battery was the problem instead.

VW had a look and found that there was a loose connection at the leisure battery terminal -- having tightened up the connection all seems fine now. I'll test over the next few days.

Thanks ever so much!

Engine running and heater on;
View attachment 17824
Generator symbol
Voltage over 14V
Positive charge current
Hi Loz, I'm having troubles with my starter battery, after abt wk of standing it just starts, it hasn't had any long run outs for a while, all the batteries are newish, it's a 57 plate might a have the diode issue.
Here are some pics with engine running & heater on, heater on without engine running, & without anything on.

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_110635080_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20210113_110635080_BURST001.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210113_110635080_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210113_110635080_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210113_112136659.jpg
    IMG_20210113_112136659.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210113_112129935.jpg
    IMG_20210113_112129935.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210113_111629884.jpg
    IMG_20210113_111629884.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi Loz, I'm having troubles with my starter battery, after abt wk of standing it just starts, it hasn't had any long run outs for a while, all the batteries are newish, it's a 57 plate might a have the diode issue.
Here are some pics with engine running & heater on, heater on without engine running, & without anything on.
That all looks normal from a leisure battery point of view and shows its charging okay.
none of that shows your starter battery.
In the extreme cold, all batteries struggle a bit and the starter battery can be depleted by the alarm, anything you leave plugged into the centre dash socket, dash cams and dongles left plugged into the ODB port etc.
My starter battery was down to 50% after 2 weeks in the cold, I just had to run it to charge it up. (can't get it outside to plug it in at the moment)

That all looks normal from a leisure battery point of view and shows its charging okay.
none of that shows your starter battery.
In the extreme cold, all batteries struggle a bit and the starter battery can be depleted by the alarm, anything you leave plugged into the centre dash socket, dash cams and dongles left plugged into the ODB port etc.
My starter battery was down to 50% after 2 weeks in the cold, I just had to run it to charge it up. (can't get it outside to plug it in at the moment)
Thanks Liz, that's put my mind to rest, on the pic that shows the heater on with the engine running the 0.02A is showing yours was 8.08A what does that mean, sorry not electrical minded.

Thanks Loz, that's put my mind to rest, on the pic that shows the heater on with the engine running the 0.02A is showing yours was 8.08A what does that mean, sorry not electrical minded.
It means your alternator is covering the draw from the heater.

Thanks Loz, but why was yours 8.8a & mine 0.02a is it yours was on a higher temperature?
The Parking Heater uses a lot of current when starting up. Once upto operating temperature it uses substantially less.

Downward spike is parking heater switching on before I got the loose battery terminal connection fixed

Attachments

• D9BE34A8-8DAF-4988-A291-68A35F9634EE.png
    D9BE34A8-8DAF-4988-A291-68A35F9634EE.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Loz, but why was yours 8.8a & mine 0.02a is it yours was on a higher temperature?
Do your test again and turn the engine off, once the engine stops charging the batteries, you’ll see your current draw increase from the batteries.