Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling chocks

Difference between stepped and wedge is the handbrake. Having driven on to the ramp so you are perfectly level via spirit/water bottle/marble/eye you then want to release the handbrake so you can swivel the driver's seat ... and roll back off the wedge. So, either don't turn the seat or use stepped ramps or, most of the time, don't bother. Or take another knock out drop from the wine supplies and it won't seem important.
Or you can get used to it and compensate. We have wedges and the extra compensation is now intuitive, like distance of the levellers from the wheels for different heights on a really bumpy pitch.

Difference between stepped and wedge is the handbrake. Having driven on to the ramp so you are perfectly level via spirit/water bottle/marble/eye you then want to release the handbrake so you can swivel the driver's seat ... and roll back off the wedge. So, either don't turn the seat or use stepped ramps or, most of the time, don't bother. Or take another knock out drop from the wine supplies and it won't seem important.
Leave the vehicle in gear then release the hand brake and you don't fall off the blocks.

I'm a bit of an idiot, I think. I just bought the Fiamma Level-Ups for my hopefully-soon-to-be-built Ocean. They've just arrived, and after reading the instructions it appears that they are only suitable for tyre widths up to 180mm. My tyres will be 235's. I don't normally make mistakes like this. Grr.
On the other hand, how many campervans are there that these could actually work with (tyres of 180 or less)?

following on from this, can anyone suggest levellers that would work with 235's? Thx

I'm a bit of an idiot, I think. I just bought the Fiamma Level-Ups for my hopefully-soon-to-be-built Ocean. They've just arrived, and after reading the instructions it appears that they are only suitable for tyre widths up to 180mm. My tyres will be 235's. I don't normally make mistakes like this. Grr.
On the other hand, how many campervans are there that these could actually work with (tyres of 180 or less)?

following on from this, can anyone suggest levellers that would work with 235's? Thx
Its not clear on the club shop website what dimensions the Fiamma Level-Ups are. Which of the 2 options did you buy? The Level-Ups or the Level Pro? I suspect the difference in price is because the Pro are smaller?

Last edited:
For those thinking of purchasing expensive leveling blocks I suggest you wait until you have done a bit of camping so that you know what you are happy with and unhappy with. We have camped in all sort of places. During that time the importance of leveling blocks has slipped right down the "must pack" list. Even if we take any, ours are home made - blocks of wood with a front slop. The only "must do" for us it sleeping head higher than feet. IMO levelers are expensive, take up a lot of space and an all round pain. Each to their own.

Its not clear on the club shop website what dimensions the Fiamma Level-Ups are. Which of the 2 options did you buy? The Level-Ups or the Level Pro? I suspect the difference in price is because the Pro are smaller?
These are 'Level Ups'. I normally check manufacturer websites as well as the shop websites, but didn't this time.

For those thinking of purchasing expensive leveling blocks I suggest you wait until you have done a bit of camping so that you know what you are happy with and unhappy with. We have camped in all sort of places. During that time the importance of leveling blocks has slipped right down the "must pack" list. Even if we take any, ours are home made - blocks of wood with a front slop. The only "must do" for us it sleeping head higher than feet. IMO levelers are expensive, take up a lot of space and an all round pain. Each to their own.
Thanks - and I will only get another set if I feel I NEED them.

If the van ain't level all of the oil in the frying pan runs
to one side, not ideal when frying eggs in the morning.

I have the yellow fiamma ones and they fit in the tailgate
with the chairs.
View attachment 67288
This was exactly the solution that was in our hired T6.1 Ocean and it completely makes sense to stow them with the chairs in the tailgate. I would imagine most chocks would fit there nicely. We were glad of them on a very sloping club hardstand site.

Not sure what vehicle you have, but if you are waiting for a 6.1 there is a built in level.
Need chocks to level it though, unless you spec air suspension with suto-levelling (£4k)

The only "must do" for us it sleeping head higher than feet. IMO levelers are expensive, take up a lot of space and an all round pain. Each to their own.

Ours has to be level as upstairs sleepers have head to the front & downstairs have head to the boot So impossible to get head higher than feet for both!

Ours has to be level as upstairs sleepers have head to the front & downstairs have head to the boot So impossible to get head higher than feet for both!
Good point that.

One set could turn round......? But whatever, if one is happy with levelers that is fine - go levelers!

I’m pretty sure mine are the same (too narrow for my 235 tyres) but in practice they work fine as the tread profile means there is no “overhang” as such. Mine are Thule (look identical to Fiamma) and they measure 20cm wide.

I’m pretty sure mine are the same (too narrow for my 235 tyres) but in practice they work fine as the tread profile means there is no “overhang” as such. Mine are Thule (look identical to Fiamma) and they measure 20cm wide.
Thanks! I'll try these ones 20cm first, before I buy a different set.

If it helps I’ve got the Milenco Triple
They are very solid come in a bag and fit in the space.
Mike

Today the Milenco levels Triple 3 arrived here. They fit in the place next to the drawer. But they *just* fit, even with the carry case. It's a matter of millimeters and a lot of maneuvering. They measure 18 cm x 24,5 cm x 61 cm.

Three levels: 4 CM, 8 CM and 12 CM. Boy, are the heavy, 2,5 kilo each.

@Properjob and @T6 CFO: Thanks for the tip.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

Milenco_Tripple_3.jpg

As long as your coffee / G & T doesn't slide off the table, what's the problem!

These look to be a good but pricey solution.

Today the Milenco levels Triple 3 arrived here. They fit in the place next to the drawer. But they *just* fit, even with the carry case. It's a matter of millimeters and a lot of maneuvering. They measure 18 cm x 24,5 cm x 61 cm.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 69894
That’s great to hear. I haven’t even tried to fit them in there, so good to know.
They might be heavy but they’ve been really useful in our experience and particularly good that you don’t roll back off them when you take the hand brake off to turn the driver’s seat. It sounds like a really complicated process when you can’t do this!

We bought the Fiamma Level System Magnum levellers. They are 20cm wide and dont take up much space. Used them on a couple of sites this year.

We bought the Fiamma Level System Magnum levellers. They are 20cm wide and dont take up much space. Used them on a couple of sites this year.
These seem to be a nice solution. Space saving, light, continuous leveling settings, good for wide tyres, and the blocking chock means a DSG equipped Cali won't roll back much when the handbrake released. This is probably the route I will go.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 69894
For me, I don’t have a permanent or designated space for our wedge shaped levellers. I pack the van in differenIt ways depending on where we’re going, how long for and what I want to fit in. The great thing with these are the shape and they can be wedged in any easy to a suitable space. Mine are usually to be found wedged in separately with their flat bottom against the underside of the parcel shelf. Last in, first out. Wherever we pitch levelling is the first thing we sort out.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 69894
Thanks for your post. My Milenco Triple 3 order just arrived. I'm not that confident with the fit in the long hatch space under the seat, and I plan to change them.
As 'marchugo' suggests the Triple 3 *just* fits. When velcro'd up in the Milenco bag I think it will increase the overlap and won't fit well in the width available and then will interfere with stowing the table. I've had a quick look at removing the buttons for the hatch cover, but with the drawer removed (thanks ollie) the screws seem inaccessible without more extensive dismantling.
Given the table is in and out so frequently I'm inclined not to risk it. I'm thinking to order Fiamma jumbo which appear to be 4cm less height in use and so about 4cm less in width as stowed and still match 235 tyres. But only two steps and less height than the Triple.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's further practical experience using the Triple 3 in that slot, and on the Fiamma level up jumbo.

Mike

Can the bases be trimmed to shorten the height by a few millimeter's so they fit better in that space?

Thanks for your post. My Milenco Triple 3 order just arrived. I'm not that confident with the fit in the long hatch space under the seat, and I plan to change them.
As 'marchugo' suggests the Triple 3 *just* fits. When velcro'd up in the Milenco bag I think it will increase the overlap and won't fit well in the width available and then will interfere with stowing the table. I've had a quick look at removing the buttons for the hatch cover, but with the drawer removed (thanks ollie) the screws seem inaccessible without more extensive dismantling.
Given the table is in and out so frequently I'm inclined not to risk it. I'm thinking to order Fiamma jumbo which appear to be 4cm less height in use and so about 4cm less in width as stowed and still match 235 tyres. But only two steps and less height than the Triple.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's further practical experience using the Triple 3 in that slot, and on the Fiamma level up jumbo.

Mike
We haven’t stowed our milenco triples there in the van but definitely have used the top level of the three many times so would recommend that height and wouldn’t want lower ones. prob depends on the type of sites you go to though.