Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loud clonk over certain bumps

Nottledim

Nottledim

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have a loud clonk from the roof above the kitchen/fridge when we go over a certain type of bump in the road.
I assume it is from the rear nearside scissor. Is this something I can deal with or do I need to see the dealer?

But just had a fantasist weekend in the van. They are brilliant!

Have you checked that the table is properly clipped in on it's bottom clip? That will clunk like that,
- Nick

Hi Nick.
Yes the table is stowed properly. I had that issue earlier. Ann sat in the back to try to work out where the noise was coming from and pinpointed that it was up top somewhere.

Not sure if it's related to this specific problem but there is a 'fix' which involves some poly tube sliced down one side and slipped over the mechanism pins.

Thanks Stu.
So it forms a bump stop How does it stay in place? Is it just the natural spring of the tube?

Are there any pics of it in place?

Thanks

Its this kind of hose -

images-hose22-250x250.jpg

You'll see it if you lift the roof and look into the rails.

Stu, where does this go. Is it outside, in the gutter for the scissors or inside around the pistons for the bed?

Andy

My rails/gutters are empty. There is a splodge of mastic but no split tube. I can see how it would fit but what length - the whole arm or just the hinge?

Thanks

I'm away for a couple of days working now so can't take a pic but I'm sure someone else here has posted a pic before.

Its the rear scissor. There is a semi-circle slot in one of the arms that when the roof is closed locates onto a pin on the other arm of the scissor. It is this that could be banging metal to metal as the rear roof is not locked down and moves up and down over bumps. The tube is fitted over the pin.

Ahh, seen it. Mine has the mod already, plus my clunk seems to be from just above my head when driving. It's not the upstair light. I don't think it's the awning - I have listened with the window open plus stuffed sponge etc in various potential rattle spaces in the awning, all to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Andy

Les
Is there an associated issue that the roof is not locking down? When I close I wait for the motor to stop and that should equal a locked roof.
But I will look at the pin tonight and your explanation makes perfect sense.

Thanks

Had similarish; new steering column.

I've now looked at the pin part of the scissor mechanism and I'm now clear where the pipe section has to go.

Thanks for you help once again. :thanks

This is the lower pin. This is the off side but its the same on both sides.

Let me know if this works!

image.jpg

But that's where your piping goes? Over the silver pins?

It's been a while since i looked up there but I thought the tubing was around an inch or so long, sleeving a pin.

I will have another look once tomorrows rain stops.

I may have the wrong pivot point

:sad

Your photo shows the elbow joint at the back of the van.It's the pin nearest the middle of van on both sides nearest to the van top. If you look at the supports above it, you should see a small semi circular cut out on the stay, when the roof is lowered it is this that comes near to the pin in question.

Hope this helps

Hubert

Hubert
The picture is of the elbow at the front of the scissor that also fits into a cut out on the arm above. but I take your point and will look tonight when I get back from work.

Watch this space. ;)

I have now looked at the scissor again and these pics show that there is no tubing on these lower pins. It's the nearside that clonks but both sides are the same.

I can see its an easy fix so I might have a go myself. But I think I'm now in the right place.

image.jpg image.jpg

Back