Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

May I introduce .....

He's a beaut! Happy trails Jen

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Looks great, I'm sure you'll be very happy together - have fun!

Definitely going to have an "Alfie meets Frieda" thread :D

I will be towing on Friday but not Frieda unfortunately, someone elses. However it gives me a chance to fiddle with the DCC and see if it reduces the rear wallowing that happens when towing on bumpy roads.
Should have trailer stabilising mode in operation when trailer plugged in.

Should have trailer stabilising mode in operation when trailer plugged in.

Yes, it does. definitely an improvement over my last set-up. Very steady, smooth, lovely to tow with.

I would have liked to have the choice but MB did not provide me with one.

A comment that I read recently, said in a derogatory way towards the California ... "I chose a Marco Polo because I prefer glamping to camping". I thought about it for two seconds then realised that is why I bought the Cali. I want to go camping, not drive to a full facilities site and worry about keeping things clean. No 4WD, only one leisure battery and even more reliance on electric motors than the Cali means to me something that I would not take 20 yards from hook-up and bathrooms.

I considered the MP too - I think if you regularly travel long distances with 4 people then it makes a very strong case for itself - the rear bench is a lot nicer than the cali - also it's a lot more car like up front and it definitely is posher. But there are only 2 of us so the rear seat isn't a concern and I'm quite looking forward to being white van man.

After the test drive in the MP I said to a friend that I'd have to keep a canoe on the roof or it will look like I'm taking passengers to the airport. He said, no it will just look like your taking passengers to the airport with their canoe!!

Sorry for going off topic :offtopic Your new camper looks great GJ!

Tom

I considered the MP too - I think if you regularly travel long distances with 4 people then it makes a very strong case for itself - the rear bench is a lot nicer than the cali - also it's a lot more car like up front and it definitely is posher. But there are only 2 of us so the rear seat isn't a concern and I'm quite looking forward to being white van man.

After the test drive in the MP I said to a friend that I'd have to keep a canoe on the roof or it will look like I'm taking passengers to the airport. He said, no it will just look like your taking passengers to the airport with their canoe!!

Sorry for going off topic :offtopic Your new camper looks great GJ!

Tom

A very nice vehicle is the MP. Like you I was attracted to the rear seating, and the potential for having a small single bed and a rear seat, but half the demonstrations that I have seen the rear seats have failed to deflate and flatten symmetrically. I also really do not like that dependence on electrics with just one leisure battery.

Having driven Alfie for 600 miles now I am just so impressed with the way this Cali drives. My T5 was a very comfortable mile-eater and this is an improvement, another thing I like, evolution over revolution, not much new but almost everything just a little bit improved. As for car like, another thing I agonised with re the MP was sheer lack of cubby spaces up front. In the end I decided that I wanted more van, less car and more places to stow things away in.

My big, huge, disappointment with the T6 is it used to have a tiny little "useless for almost everything" compartment to the right of the steering wheel. That is now replaced by a useless sticker telling me not to drive with the roof up and that useless space was perfect for holding my "membership card" wallet.:shocked I noticed it gone this afternoon on the M6 toll and the wallet holding my C&MC card was not in it's usual place :sad

• Disagree
Reactions: AS4
I think I still have that space, mine being an actual T6 panel van 'an all. Will look. Never worked out what to do with it...

Congratulations Jen, wishing you many happy miles with Alfie :thumb

I know he’ll be kept busy!

He looks great, look forward to reading your in depth impressions when the time comes. :)

Congratulations Jen, wishing you many happy miles with Alfie :thumb

I know he’ll be kept busy!

He looks great, look forward to reading your in depth impressions when the time comes. :)

Having spent 700 miles in Alfie and two nights (tonight my second, and a Britstop of brilliance) my thoughts are mostly positive.

Very little has changed, but the changes have been subtle. It rides better, it feels more positive steering, it has little touches like brighter lights in the habitation area. Very hard to describe, it is a California, a California that I fell in love with, and has just small and positive generational changes.

For all of us who want revolutionary changes I think that the evolutionary changes are better. I had a brilliant vehicle. To improve on the Cali is almost impossible, but small steps, small changes. One thing that I am convinced of, even after only two days, I would have regretted buying an MP.

Totally agree. Your experience and appraisal is of benefit to us all. I must admit I just love my T6 and do not think the MP is better built just more glamorous. As for cubby holes you will adjust and become even more comfortable. Your Cali looks fab.

it is a California, a California that I fell in love with, and has just small and positive generational changes
I would be tempted if one was available with the right spec.

Note to self: Avoid visiting Cali showrooms ... :D

I would be tempted if one was available with the right spec.

Note to self: Avoid visiting Cali showrooms ... :D

Or browsing online :sad

Just idle curiosity, the only new 204 DSG 4mo out of 82 on the site, just out of curiosity expressed interest, well -- it is VW and we know that VW dealers never reply --- two hours later Rob at Listers Droitwich had my deposit :shocked

Congratulations on Alfie, G.J.. Hope he lives up to all your expectations and establishes himself as a perfect travelling companion.

Congratulations on Alfie, G.J.. Hope he lives up to all your expectations and establishes himself as a perfect travelling companion.

Thank you. I can already say that two nights and 700 miles and I am very impressed.

Never ask an historian to name anything :eek: You get the hour lecture with it .....

I am no monarchist. I chose Albert as a tongue in cheek name, made in Germany but looking after a regal lady. However the vehicle soon lived up to Albert's finer qualities, dependable, reliable, trustworthy... and almost a feeling of consumate loyalty.

If son of Albert does the same, will I be happy.

Someone who from early childhood displayed a precocious intelligence, Brave and fearless almost to the point of Reckless.

Someone Who loved all things naval, joined on merit not on privilege and rapidly promoted as a highly capable naval officer, until the quasi political appointment of Admiral of the Fleet.

A passionate traveller and explorer, the first member of the royal family to visit Australia (Where a would-be assassin's bullet nearly ended everything), South Africa, India, Ceylon: never happier than when travelling, especially with his beloved Royal Navy.

Finally someone who put duty above self, Reluctantly, with some bitterness, left his beloved Royal Navy and his Beloved GB to fill the vacant slot of Duke of Saxe-Coburg.

Ladies, Gentlemen, fellow travellers and explorers ..... May I introduce ...

Alfie

Congratulation with the beautiful cali. I like the color very much. If you ever come to Denmark please please give a sign.

Last edited:
Congratulation it’s

Congratulation with the beautiful cali. I like the color very much. If you ever come to Denmark please please give a sign.

Thank you. Denmark is high on my list of places to visit and I most certainly will give advance notice :happy

Great colour combination! Happy travelling!

Ah! I can see. You used grey to obscure. Had to look close to see that :) Yeah, the dealers cannot release a vehicle without a plate fixed.

What is the colour mentioned on the v5c? :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just received the V5 and the colour recorded is grey.

Alfie's colours are amazing, great to see you are already such good friends. Happy travels.

Back