Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Members other rides ..???!!!!

KernowLad said:
X3 35ds are very rare and cool sleepers! The inlaws have an X5 but sadly only the 30d powered one - still goes well though.

I forgot to say, sadly, the new range of engines in both petrol and diesel are no longer twin turbo, but a single twin scroll turbo. Still powerful, but you can't get the same gains when tuning them, probably all due to emisions and fuel economy.

I currently have in the fleet, a 135i twin turbo with a few mods that take it to circa 400bhp, now that's great fun! :barmy

Rilla said:
KernowLad said:
X3 35ds are very rare and cool sleepers! The inlaws have an X5 but sadly only the 30d powered one - still goes well though.

I forgot to say, sadly, the new range of engines in both petrol and diesel are no longer twin turbo, but a single twin scroll turbo. Still powerful, but you can't get the same gains when tuning them, probably all due to emisions and fuel economy.

I currently have in the fleet, a 135i twin turbo with a few mods that take it to circa 400bhp, now that's great fun! :barmy

Oooh I do like the 135i! Gets proper brakes too.

Have you seen the new one? Not pretty but some great numbers and a possible consideration. I REALLY want a 1M but the saloon shape is a no no - it might upset our dog!

I thought the 35i unit went twin scroll but the 35d remained bi-turbo? I could easily be wrong.

KernowLad said:

Have you seen the new one? Not pretty but some great numbers and a possible consideration. I REALLY want a 1M but the saloon shape is a no no - it might upset our dog!

I thought the 35i unit went twin scroll but the 35d remained bi-turbo? I could easily be wrong.

I wouldn't look at the new one, but a 1M might appear at some point. Although, according to my wife, I already have too many cars. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous.

I say the diesels are single turbo, because like the petrols, BMW call them 'twin power' rather than the previous 'Twin Turbo'. My brother in law has a 12 plate 640d and on the engine cover it says, 'Twin Power', just assumed they had both changed, but maybe they haven't!

Rilla said:
KernowLad said:

I wouldn't look at the new one, but a 1M might appear at some point. Although, according to my wife, I already have too many cars. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous.

I say the diesels are single turbo, because like the petrols, BMW call them 'twin power' rather than the previous 'Twin Turbo'. My brother in law has a 12 plate 640d and on the engine cover it says, 'Twin Power', just assumed they had both changed, but maybe they haven't!

BMW website says "twin turbo" for the 535d (F10) - not sure if they 35d engine is coming out in the 3 series - what a shame!!

It does say "Twinpower" for the 640d though (almost the same engine) - could be either?! I've notice the X6 can be had with the 380bhp 50d unit - YIKES!

Off to do some checking out...!

Not a daily driver as such but up there in the Horsepower stakes. :laugh2

I get to climb around in these type of things every now and then.

This one is an MAN B&W (HHI) 8S60ME-C which is just a tad under 25000hp + 105rpm. :shocked

Frisia Bonn.JPG Frisia Bonn2.JPG Frisia Bonn3.JPG Frisia Bonn1.JPG

No mate, I have served my sentence :laugh2

The Royal Navy doesn't have any such beasts. The RFA has some big two stroke stuff but it's quite old now. These pictures of from a container vessel I visited.

Stu said:
No mate, I have served my sentence :laugh2

The Royal Navy doesn't have any such beasts. The RFA has some big two stroke stuff but it's quite old now. These pictures of from a container vessel I visited.

It's a BEAST!

I do love marine engines too - the inlaws old Botnia Targa had a pair of super AND turbocharged Volvos of about 300bhp each. Used to fling the 35ft boat along nicely. The current Fisher 46 has a much more sedate 180bhp unit that just chugga chuggas along at a maximum of 9 knots.

Mere small fry though compared to a container ship. I wonder what mpg they do?!!!

Rilla said:
Haha, Marine engines, awesome!

Yep, mighty impressive when you get up close an personal. In contrast I used to look after two of these (Rolls Royce Spey SM1C) at 26000hp each (and they were a daily driver!!) -

300px-RRSpey.JPG

KernowLad said:
had a pair of super AND turbocharged Volvos of about 300bhp each. Used to fling the 35 boat along nicely.

Very nice. I always think the colour scheme of Penta's is a sort of soothing mint green. :grin:

Stu said:
KernowLad said:
had a pair of super AND turbocharged Volvos of about 300bhp each. Used to fling the 35 boat along nicely.

Very nice. I always think the colour scheme of Penta's is a sort of soothing mint green. :grin:

Sounded quite soothing too. It was an odd sight seeing what looked like a fishing boat doing circa 40 knots! Used to get from Guernsey to France in around 40 minutes.

They've gone a bit old now with a motorsailor although it is quite pretty.

Saw a few serious private boats in Majorca this year - anything less than a pair of 1200hp MANs is considered a bit low rent. :lol: :lol:

Think we need to try a wee bit harder - our 14.5ft Salcombe Flyer (think Boston Whaler style) has a 60hp two stroke... :rofl :rofl :rofl

So aside from the 2009 California 4motion that has become my daily driver, we have:

2003 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Avant
1992 Nissan Patrol SWB 4.2 TD
1985 Land Rover 110 V8
1958 Fordson Dexta Diesel
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Kawasaki KLX 250S
2011 Giant Reign x1

Plus a couple of other trail bikes for the kids and wife.

...running out of garage space now though!

smgcowfold said:
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
2005 Mini Cooper S
2002 BMW M5
1989 Golf GTI 8V (Race car)

Plus work Caddy kombi van as well. M5 is currently SORNED as I wasn't using it, hope to get it back out early next year.

cheers

Thought I would resurrect this thread!

Since this post have sold the Mini earlier this year due to arrival of our daughter, swapped the 8 valve engine in the Golf to a 16 valve and the M5 went 10 days ago :cry:

Will now spend the winter deciding what to replace the M5 with. Has two have more than two seats and be very quick indeed.

Answers on a postcard please!

:thanks

So a third car might not be quite so OTT then...?!

:lol:

Since this post have sold the Mini earlier this year due to arrival of our daughter, swapped the 8 valve engine in the Golf to a 16 valve and the M5 went 10 days ago :cry:

Congratulations Alex enjoy her :thumb :clap :D

John

smgcowfold said:
KernowLad said:
So a third car might not be quite so OTT then...?!

:lol:

Not at all :D

May have to get that cheeky 4WD then... :D

I'm also seriously looking at replacing the 335d with an M135i (5 door). They seem to be rather fun. I love the M3 but it needs to be hatch, or estate as we have a dog. We also need sensible fuel range for trips to London and back.

Nice cars BTW SMG -fine taste in motors! How was the M5? My favourite model so far. I never quite "got" the E60/61 version.

The M5 was sublime. I messed around with it, increased the power and changed the suspension which made it perfect for me. It was a seriously seriously good car and even at 11.5 years old was quicker than most things on the road. Sad its gone, but I had one of the best cars in the world for 6.25 years.

Now just the fun of choosing a replacement :)

smgcowfold said:
The M5 was sublime. I messed around with it, increased the power and changed the suspension which made it perfect for me. It was a seriously seriously good car and even at 11.5 years old was quicker than most things on the road. Sad its gone, but I had one of the best cars in the world for 6.25 years.

Now just the fun of choosing a replacement :)

It'll be tough to find such a good all rounder that's still practical(ish). B7 RS4, E90 M3, 997 Carrera S, Merc C63 AMG?

That is part of the problem. But, I did 1,000 miles in it since January this year. The biggest problem with it was that my wife didn't like it, so wouldn't drive it unless she really had to and we didn't go out in it as a family either as we either took the Disco or work van.

I don't want an Audi and the V8 M3 is losing money like nobodies business so would sit out on one of those at the moment, they are very good cars though. The CLS 63 AMG is very tempting, but a bit of an odd car so could be difficult to sell on. I found the M5 difficult to sell to be honest and ended up selling to a trader. Would consider a 911, Cayman S and my real favourite for the moment is a Z4M Coupe - but only two seats. However, made in small numbers and has higher residuals than the Roadster so could be something to buy and sell on for virtually same money after a year.

Cheers

Lovely looking car the Z4M and seriously good VFM at the moment.

Yup. Have always wanted an e34 M5 touring as even rarer but with EDC at £1,000 per corner to replace then it is something that could be a potential money pit.

This one is just up the road from me though so may go and have a look in a week or two and have a drive to see what it is like:

http://www.munichlegends.co.uk/componen ... ew,detail/

A real Q car. I wish BMW had produced the e39 M5 as a touring as well (one was made for a BMW employee), but this would be pretty awesome and should hold value and desirability as well.

cheers

Great to see what everyone else has for the non-Cali part of their lives.

For us it is a beautiful red TT Quattro for fun
A Prius for the boring city bits and for round the field a
John Deere E-gator!

Mine not interesting like it used to be and got a freelander 2 for the wife to knock about and a Citroen berlingo as the work horse for work ..

Cali is the only real loved one in the family now ... Lol lol :)

Back