Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Members other rides ..???!!!!

smgcowfold said:
That is part of the problem. But, I did 1,000 miles in it since January this year. The biggest problem with it was that my wife didn't like it, so wouldn't drive it unless she really had to and we didn't go out in it as a family either as we either took the Disco or work van.

I don't want an Audi and the V8 M3 is losing money like nobodies business so would sit out on one of those at the moment, they are very good cars though. The CLS 63 AMG is very tempting, but a bit of an odd car so could be difficult to sell on. I found the M5 difficult to sell to be honest and ended up selling to a trader. Would consider a 911, Cayman S and my real favourite for the moment is a Z4M Coupe - but only two seats. However, made in small numbers and has higher residuals than the Roadster so could be something to buy and sell on for virtually same money after a year.

Cheers

E39 M5 is a beautiful car Alex, shame you couldn't keep it. E34 M5 has been on my list for sometime, but have not got around to that yet. It's a different beast to the E39 and as you say, potentially greater maintenance cost as they are all getting on in years. What didn't your wife like about the M5 Alex?

Her main complete was the gearbox as it was stiff until it was warmed up. She also thought it looked chavvy :headbang As she didn't use it then I would only use it rarely. I used it in July and then again in September when I sold it and had to put a bit of fuel in it. Shame, was one of the best in the country.

The e34 M5 is even more subtle so could be a way to go. Found another touring for sale that looks great, but the EDC is a worry and that was standard on all 3.8's.

cheers

I have just traded in my 140ps Passat estate this week for an BMW 330d M Sport. I'm in that phase where I'm looking for any excuse to jump in the car and have a drive.

spiderstu said:
I have just traded in my 140ps Passat estate this week for an BMW 330d M Sport. I'm in that phase where I'm looking for any excuse to jump in the car and have a drive.

Same here :thumb

smgcowfold said:
Yup. Have always wanted an e34 M5 touring as even rarer but with EDC at £1,000 per corner to replace then it is something that could be a potential money pit.

This one is just up the road from me though so may go and have a look in a week or two and have a drive to see what it is like:

http://www.munichlegends.co.uk/componen ... ew,detail/

A real Q car. I wish BMW had produced the e39 M5 as a touring as well (one was made for a BMW employee), but this would be pretty awesome and should hold value and desirability as well.

cheers

Thought I was a car geek but I'd never seen an E34 M5 Touring! Veeeery cool!

I'm chipping away at the M135i thing - my problem is the opposite to yours; the missus absolutely loves it and does a fair few miles in it, always praising it when she comes back. So her enthusiasm for a less comfortable, smaller petrol car isn't quite the same as mine.

Oh we also have a Honda....

...Izy mower. :lol: Needs a turbo as it's so darned slow. Mind you it starts better than our two stroke Stihl strimmer...

KernowLad said:
Thought I was a car geek but I'd never seen an E34 M5! Veeeery cool!

I'm chipping away at the M135i thing - my problem is the opposite to yours; the missus absolutely loves it and does a fair few miles in it, always praising it when she comes back. So her enthusiasm for a less comfortable, smaller petrol car isn't quite the same as mine.

...Izy mower. :lol: Needs a turbo as it's so darned slow. Mind you it starts better than our two stroke Stihl strimmer...

Great car, just get it! Economy is probably better than a 335d and it's quicker too and more comfortable! There isn't a major downside, apart from the cost. The N55 isn't as tunable as the N54, but that's not a big problem for most people. My N54 twin turbo is beast, but the fuel economy is terrible!

KernowLad said:
smgcowfold said:
Yup. Have always wanted an e34 M5 touring as even rarer but with EDC at £1,000 per corner to replace then it is something that could be a potential money pit.

This one is just up the road from me though so may go and have a look in a week or two and have a drive to see what it is like:

A real Q car. I wish BMW had produced the e39 M5 as a touring as well (one was made for a BMW employee), but this would be pretty awesome and should hold value and desirability as well.

cheers

E34 M5 is superb, and the touring is awesome. Last of the hand built M cars as well. Seriously want the touring as it is justifiable for all of us.

My Mum is looking to get out of her SLK and get a hatchback so she can take grandkids out etc...Looked at the M135i, nice car and has good reviews. But, no LSD! Now looking at the A45 AMG instead which has 360bhp and is ludicrous. Four wheel drive, 2.0 litre single turbo four cylinder engine and can do nigh on 40mpg on a long run. Wipes the floor with the BMW with performance and economy. Launch control and four wheel drive are sub 4.5 to 60 standing start. Perfect for a Grandma :shocked

smgcowfold said:
E34 M5 is superb, and the touring is awesome. Last of the hand built M cars as well. Seriously want the touring as it is justifiable for all of us.

My Mum is looking to get out of her SLK and get a hatchback so she can take grandkids out etc...Looked at the M135i, nice car and has good reviews. But, no LSD! Now looking at the A45 AMG instead which has 360bhp and is ludicrous. Four wheel drive, 2.0 litre single turbo four cylinder engine and can do nigh on 40mpg on a long run. Wipes the floor with the BMW with performance and economy. Launch control and four wheel drive are sub 4.5 to 60 standing start. Perfect for a Grandma :shocked

Your mum needs an LSD Alex? You're right, it could do with the LSD but they reserve that for the M cars. Has she looked at a used 1M? I know it's not a hatch, but more practical than the SLK! The A45 AMG is more expensive than the M135i and personally I would rather have rwd and a 6 pot under the bonnet! My 135 puts out around 400bhp, so the A45 wouldn't stand a chance :)

You clearly come from a family of petrolheads, what else have you had in the past?

Phil

Mum doesn't need an LSD but I do when I drive it :D Don't forget that some BMW's have an electronic LSD and Mini's have LSD's as standard as well on some models depending on what gearbox is fitted.

Agree about RWD over anything else, but compared to what's on offer at the moment the A45 for what we want it for is the best all round package as well. I'm not massively keen on the 1M to be honest, handles well but despite having two turbos still has turbo lag. A couple of my friends have them, one loves it and has kept it and is madly in love with it and the other sold hers after 10k as she couldn't get on with it and went back to M3's. She currently has a yellow limited edition e92 M3 with EDC, DCT and she much prefers that.

Haven't had anything spectacular in the past but had Land Rover Defender 90, 316i, 530i Sport, M5, Mini Cooper S, Discovery 3 and the Golf GTI which I race with my Dad. Dad has an SL55 AMG, Morgan and a supercharged Range Rover which he adores and instead of replacing it will use the A45 (if it happens) as well.

Be interesting to see a comparison between an A45 and a 135i, don't think there would be much in it to be honest, but would be fun finding out either way :cool

cheers

We traded my wife's 2ltr petrol Scirocco in for the California and still have a Ford Focus diesel with the 163bhp engine, as well as the van. The Focus was purchased after a major fall out with my VW Passat (one engine warning light/RAC recovery too many!) and walking into the first dealer that wasn't VW. The car park (aka as our drive) also accomodates my oldest son's polo and my yougest son's clio so we all play musical cars from time to time.

smgcowfold said:
KernowLad said:
smgcowfold said:

cheers

Birds will fit an LSD with a three year warranty for under £2k.

I'm not sold on the A45 - strange looks and even if it was 1000bhp, I just couldn't go from a six pot to a four and pay so much money (except maybe in the new Alfa 4C or a loony Caterham R400/500!). I also prefer RWD to AWD in quick cars having had an R32 Golf. I'm right off FWD for life though.

Just trying to persuade the missus to change - I'm getting there slowly.

Rilla - your 135i (assume it's the last shape one?) sounds like a lot of fun!

I am currently driving a Passat 140 saloon sport during the weekends and a MAN TGX 440 6x2 44tonne truck during the week I must admit the truck is easier to drive than the Passat :D

135i with 400hp must be fun! For me UK weather is quattro weather and AWD wins hands down. What sort of 0-60, 0-100 & 1/4 mile times can you do? I find a mapped 2.5 5pot turbo the best engine I've ever tried. C Harris loves the 135 very capable car :thumb

Our van is AWD; I generally prefer RWD in nippy cars.
CH did a vid of RS3 vs M135i; The Audi was quicker to 60 and 100 but the BM eventually overtook it at 130ish. I love CH vids.

If I get an M135i, I might stick a proper LSD in it.

The RS3 V 135i vid was so poor imho!
TC on and wearing poor Conti's when the 135i was on MSS. Did he not comment on the "S" button changing the suspension?? Lol.
Track reviews go for RWD whilst real world is not on track.

I get to test 1M v RS3 both mapped so would love a run with a 135i :bananadance

smgcowfold said:
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
2005 Mini Cooper S
2002 BMW M5
1989 Golf GTI 8V (Race car)

Plus work Caddy kombi van as well. M5 is currently SORNED as I wasn't using it, hope to get it back out early next year.

cheers

Cheers ! Just sold my 1988 8v Gti with 180,000 miles on it. Bought it for 800 pounds and sold it for 2000 13 years later. Only sold it because I had to (long story).

My Cali stays warm and dry in winter and I use a BMW X3 with winter tyres fitted. We live in the country and get a lot of snow and ice in bad winters. Besides, the Cali is just too big for our narrow country lanes.

caligraphy said:
smgcowfold said:
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
2005 Mini Cooper S
2002 BMW M5
1989 Golf GTI 8V (Race car)

Plus work Caddy kombi van as well. M5 is currently SORNED as I wasn't using it, hope to get it back out early next year.

cheers

Cheers ! Just sold my 1988 8v Gti with 180,000 miles on it. Bought it for 800 pounds and sold it for 2000 13 years later. Only sold it because I had to (long story).

My Cali stays warm and dry in winter and I use a BMW X3 with winter tyres fitted. We live in the country and get a lot of snow and ice in bad winters. Besides, the Cali is just too big for our narrow country lanes.

Have to say, we are using our BM more of late as the Cali is a bit of a pain on our super narrow Cornish lanes - we've had a few very near misses. And having remembered how easy it is to use our roof carriers, the van stayed at home this weekend while we used the car to take our bikes to Dartmoor.

I'm only admitting this because I've had a couple of beers. I have a Ford Focus estate as well.

Only really use it to get to work these days, the Westy won't fit in the underground car park.

The receptionist really likes the Westy though, so I get away with leaving her in the visitor carper on a regular basis...

Used to use the ford to cart diving kit, bikes and tents around. It's covered in dents, scratches and get's treated very badly basically. Still seems to keep running though.

My prefered ride is my Cotic Soul, there's photos of it somewhere on the forum.

Contrary to what Cy says, that's the best colour :D

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Contrary to what Cy says, that's the best colour :D

Yours black too?

I do like the green but it's hard matching components to it... :oops: :lol:

Yes, black. With white bits. Went a bit over the top, it looks like a zebra now.

You're right about the green though, it is nice. With black finishing kit think it would look pretty cool.

Back