Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New order delays and 199/204 engine update

I ordered on 30th sept, the inference at the time was that this was the last opportunity before price increases and changes. Was on chat today trying to find out the build date.

So far it’s not allocated and everything up to week 52 is allocated. So looks like if you don’t have a build slot yet you are getting an RDE2 engine and the delays that potentially come with that. I’m fully expecting later March /early April delivery and a no deal tariff on top. It sucks...but that looks like the likely outcome at the moment.

80F6E3E3-D832-4694-AAC2-662E1B40812D.jpeg

So, my 'confirmed' build week has theoretically arrived. I don't want to go on the chat just in case I get some bad news. Am I chicken or what?

I ordered on 30th sept, the inference at the time was that this was the last opportunity before price increases and changes. Was on chat today trying to find out the build date.

So far it’s not allocated and everything up to week 52 is allocated. So looks like if you don’t have a build slot yet you are getting an RDE2 engine and the delays that potentially come with that. I’m fully expecting later March /early April delivery and a no deal tariff on top. It sucks...but that looks like the likely outcome at the moment.

View attachment 68008

We are in the same situation as you - I just chatted with Luke as well. We ordered 22nd Sept and were told we could get a delivery this year but that it would be tight.

We are in the same situation as you - I just chatted with Luke as well. We ordered 22nd Sept and were told we could get a delivery this year but that it would be tight.
I suspect they where not expecting the continued increase In volume of orders due to the ongoing pandemic. I imagine ramping up factory capacity is not the work of a moment. I’m not going to complain too much though because it’s pretty understandable and the guys on chat have been helpful! I’ve never found the process of buying a vehicle anything but painful so my expectations where not high!

I suspect they where not expecting the continued increase In volume of orders due to the ongoing pandemic. I imagine ramping up factory capacity is not the work of a moment. I’m not going to complain too much though because it’s pretty understandable and the guys on chat have been helpful! I’ve never found the process of buying a vehicle anything but painful so my expectations where not high!
Agreed, our van is a 40th birthday present for the wife, so as long as it arrives by April we are ok!

I'm told that any orders that will be built as 199's will have build weeks allocated by the end of this week, this is not official information but is what i have been told. Id advise you all to contact your dealers next week to check on this information.

Thanks,

Shaun
Shaun thanks for the info. I know this is a 199 chat group but I have a 150 on order (24/9). I'm obviously waiting on a build week. Is the 150 in the same boat as the 199 for RDE2 and build dates? Thx

So, my 'confirmed' build week has theoretically arrived. I don't want to go on the chat just in case I get some bad news. Am I chicken or what?
Ditto, should start this week, but I will give it until end of next week for an updat, it’s a 150 so not expecting a shock?

Shaun thanks for the info. I know this is a 199 chat group but I have a 150 on order (24/9). I'm obviously waiting on a build week. Is the 150 in the same boat as the 199 for RDE2 and build dates? Thx
Hi Rams, VW haven't mentioned anything regarding the 150 so I would assume they are continuing building as normal. Anything built after week 46 will be RDE2 compliant, I think the problem on the 199 is the update back to the 204 engine.

I have been told by our dealer (Liverpool VW Centre) that we have a confirmed factory accepted order (5th October, we ordered on 30th September) VW chat also confirmed this. We have been led to believe our 199 4 Motion will be manufactured and delivered as such by the dealer. Although all the build slots are allocated to week 52, I believe the rush from people to order prior to October was substantial to say the least. Would it then follow that if you have had you order accepted by the factory, VW may have pre allocated slots for the 199ps versions and are simply allocating these as a matter of priority to the UK market orders to get the engines through in time? Just my 2 cents but it does make sense.

It appears the pandemic is not affecting the factory and build dates are going ahead as expected.

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 18.21.22.png

Luke must be sick of dealing with this topic Today!:D:D:D

I'm told that any orders that will be built as 199's will have build weeks allocated by the end of this week, this is not official information but is what i have been told. Id advise you all to contact your dealers next week to check on this information.

Thanks,

Shaun

Very helpful Sean, nice of you to try and help and keep people in the loop the best you can.

Liverpool VW insinuated the same, they expected our 199 to still be built as such. I will check with them this week and post back here as soon as I know.

Last edited:

Would be interesting to find out the outcome to this?

I've pretty much given up hope of getting a 199 4MO this year. VW chat keep telling me to come back next week for any update. Ordered 11/9. I am resigned to the fact that it's going to be a 204 and I won't see it until April at the earliest :(

I've pretty much given up hope of getting a 199 4MO this year. VW chat keep telling me to come back next week for any update. Ordered 11/9. I am resigned to the fact that it's going to be a 204 and I won't see it until April at the earliest :(
Don't be so sure Phil, I believe that some of the allocated build dates are there for the orders for the 199ps engines. It makes sense that they would block book build dates and fill them afterwards with all the panic orders at the end of September. They will have received quite a lot of orders and I think they will prioritise UK at 199ps orders within that period. I was also advised by VW Chat that from accepting the order from the factory, build times to reaching dealers could be as quick as 6 weeks. However, COVID 19 may cause slight delays but my picture of the VW chat shows thats not the case. It's not over till the fat lady sings as they say!

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 18.21.22.png

I ordered a Coast in August including the 4 year care pack with a stated delivery on the order form as the end of Jan.

The dealership have advised I must pay for and have the vehicle registered this year due to RDE. The issue is I’m having a house built with nowhere safe to keep it this year and I won’t have the funds until the new year.

I’ve been given the option to re-order at the new increased price for delivery next year with no care pack. Disputed this and they have said they will not charge the increased price but I will still lose the care pack or I can cancel the order. They won’t do anything further.

The care pack was a big selling point for me and not prepared to lose this. Just very disappointed that they won’t honour what I ordered, a vehicle early next year with a care pack. This is a VW emissions issue after all.

I’ve taken the cancellation as just so disappointed with the service.

I ordered a Coast in August including the 4 year care pack with a stated delivery on the order form as the end of Jan.

The dealership have advised I must pay for and have the vehicle registered this year due to RDE. The issue is I’m having a house built with nowhere safe to keep it this year and I won’t have the funds until the new year.

I’ve been given the option to re-order at the new increased price for delivery next year with no care pack. Disputed this and they have said they will not charge the increased price but I will still lose the care pack or I can cancel the order. They won’t do anything further.

The care pack was a big selling point for me and not prepared to lose this. Just very disappointed that they won’t honour what I ordered, a vehicle early next year with a care pack. This is a VW emissions issue after all.

Hi ANR, all dealers had a bulletin on this when it was announced and could have changed a code on your order to push into 2021 and be built RED2 compliant. This was only available as an option for a short period of time.

If you would like me to quote you for a new Coast for 2021 delivery please don't hesitate to give me a call on 07803 074706 or email me at shaun.deakin@jct600.co.uk

Thanks,

Shaun

Well, I am very sorry to hear that. We have had the opposite problem!

We ordered, paid a deposit and Spec'd a California Ocean 4 Motion 199 with pretty much loaded extras at the end of September. We also wanted the 30mm lowering kit and side stainless steps and front spoiler. We have since found that the vehicle won't be built till week 4 at the earliest. We did expect delivery in January and possibly before Xmas.

I am feeling quite disappointed, after ordering a vehicle at nearly £80,000 with all the options I am now toying with pulling the order and looking at other vehicles, not necessarily Californias.

It's now assumed that we may end top paying a 10% import duty and I'm simply not playing that game, If that happens we won't be completing the sale. Really sad as we have purchased an air awning and other extras new for the van already.

Hi Phil R, had it confirmed Today that more than likely our build week will be week 4, that means we won't see the 4 motion till March at the earliest. The only concern is the import duty changing. I can cope with waiting till March as I won't need it for camping purposes till then anyway. Just don't want to pay the £7,000 increase in potential duty.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but having a quick search I have found nothing.

The 199ps engine is being updated and will become the 204ps again with RDE 2 compliance next year.

All new orders will now be for the latest 204ps engine and VW have just announced that they will not begin production of this engine until week 6 of 2021. This would mean we would not likely see any new orders arrive until week 12/13 (End March / Beginning of April) at the very earliest next year. Just a quick heads up for anyone who is on the brink of ordering or are looking to order ready for the season next year!

Thanks,

Shaun
Hi. I have a Coast on order, is this the affected engine. Can someone explain the implications if any of this engine change to someone who hopes never to open the bonnet except to top up the washer fluid?

Hi Phil R, had it confirmed Today that more than likely our build week will be week 4, that means we won't see the 4 motion till March at the earliest. The only concern is the import duty changing. I can cope with waiting till March as I won't need it for camping purposes till then anyway. Just don't want to pay the £7,000 increase in potential duty.
That’s not great mate. So the fat lady has sung for you! How did you find this out, via the dealer or chat? I see you’re in Lancaster, did you order from Guy at Preston too?
I also notice you’ve ordered very similar to us - 199 4MO + extras + side bars, lowering and front spoiler!!

Does anybody know if the new 204 engine is more powerful or offers better mpg? At least that might help cushion the blow of delaying the build.

Does anybody know if the new 204 engine is more powerful or offers better mpg? At least that might help cushion the blow of delaying the build.
The Oct brochure lists and prices the new engines but states the specs are not currently available?Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 08.19.48.png

Shame, it would be nice to know if the 204 engine is worth the wait.

TBA !!!! How can VW not know the emissions. Come on VW we are spending a shed load of money on these vehicles At least you could tell customers what they're getting for the money.

From what I have read there is a massive backlog / overwhelming of RDE2 testing facilities and official certifications, so I suspect VW have done their own internal testing, knowing that the RDE2 test will be fine and will be passed but they can't say so yet because of the official testing process.

So many companies will be running this up to the wire like VW too. I know there are a few that have been RDE2 tested for a while (non VW) though.

Back