Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nightmare Day with Dodgy Dealer, Ghost and Broken California.....

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All,

Got my T6 in the dealers at the moment for a major service and warranty items.

Dropped the car of on Monday and put it into service mode. Had a call on tuesday that they had an additional issue and think the starting motor has gone and also aksed me for the Ghost code as the thought it could be that.

They ended up replacing the starting motor which made no different. I spoke to the guys who fitted Ghost and he is 100% sure someone has driven the vehicle the to re-engage Ghost and then attempted to start the car minus the code and they'll just need to do a reset as this would reult in the engine not turning over. I talked them through this but not joy, next was a trip up in the courtesy van and try to do it myself but no joy.

What I found was the Ghost does disable but when i switch off and back on which does the reset, the Glow light continues to Flash engine won't turn over. Dealer is saying the Ghost has somehow currupted the system and they want it removed as it likely invalidates my Warranty. Van is currently stuck on one or there ramps and they are talking about charging for use of car etc.

Having Spoke again the Chris (installer) he's adament the Ghost will not currupt the Engine Managment System. He's 100% that they drove the vehicle re-enabling the Ghost then they have attempted to update the EMS which the ghost will most likely prevent and this has basically left the engine not knowing what to do.

Dealer is saying no one drove the vehicle either at speed or for longer than the permitted time.

So i'm hoping in our vast community someone may have had a similar experience and a ideally a happy outcom.

Also to activate service mode i always started the engine and revived (2000) 5 times, i have the feeling there was another default valet button. What do other users use?

Thanks.

Hi All,

Got my T6 in the dealers at the moment for a major service and warranty items.

Dropped the car of on Monday and put it into service mode. Had a call on tuesday that they had an additional issue and think the starting motor has gone and also aksed me for the Ghost code as the thought it could be that.

They ended up replacing the starting motor which made no different. I spoke to the guys who fitted Ghost and he is 100% sure someone has driven the vehicle the to re-engage Ghost and then attempted to start the car minus the code and they'll just need to do a reset as this would reult in the engine not turning over. I talked them through this but not joy, next was a trip up in the courtesy van and try to do it myself but no joy.

What I found was the Ghost does disable but when i switch off and back on which does the reset, the Glow light continues to Flash engine won't turn over. Dealer is saying the Ghost has somehow currupted the system and they want it removed as it likely invalidates my Warranty. Van is currently stuck on one or there ramps and they are talking about charging for use of car etc.

Having Spoke again the Chris (installer) he's adament the Ghost will not currupt the Engine Managment System. He's 100% that they drove the vehicle re-enabling the Ghost then they have attempted to update the EMS which the ghost will most likely prevent and this has basically left the engine not knowing what to do.

Dealer is saying no one drove the vehicle either at speed or for longer than the permitted time.

So i'm hoping in our vast community someone may have had a similar experience and a ideally a happy outcom.

Also to activate service mode i always started the engine and revived (2000) 5 times, i have the feeling there was another default valet button. What do other users use?

Thanks.
Jason,

Sorry to hear about your plight with the dealers. Yes, if the van is driven above the speed, then it engages security.

You also engaged it correctly - 5 strong blips of the throttle (1500 rpm +) and the yellow light will flash twice, telling you that valet mode has been engaged.

I am pretty sure this is nothing to do with Ghost as mine has also been in for service many times and the valet mode has been ON and the dealer has know this always and taken care.

When the security is engaged, to disengage, the steps that I follow are:
- switch off the engine
- turn ON the ignition
- enter the security code
- CYCLE the ignition to OFF and then ON (the EMS light will be ON)
- enter the security code again
- SWITCH ON the engine (only now will the EMS light switch OFF)

Are these the steps that you followed? It is easy to forget the CYCLE the ignition to OFF and ON and that is an important step in the process.

When I first had Ghost installed.
Volkswagen had tripped the system somehow out of Valet mode.
They tried a software reset but couldn’t get the van to start. I had to return to the garage and reset.
Unfortunately, because they tried resetting the Software it wiped the aftermarket cruise control, meaning I had to return to Hazzy for them to re-upload the cruise function.

That was the last visit I ever made to a Volkswagen dealership…

Thanks.

Pretty much tried every combination to reset. Engine will not turn over including the above

The installer has now said that its the pressing of the pedal thats key for the valet mode so they should be abel to put it back into Service Mode and re-attempt the update and this may fix the EMS.

The title of the thread is a bit disingenuous towards the dealer.

How about changing it to:
"I've had someone mess about with the electrics on my van & what they did is stopping my van starting. In the meantime my poor dealer has my lump of a van blocking one of his revenue earning ramps."

Nightmare if they are now going to say that any warranty work is not covered.

Did they / you log the mileage on handover? Might indicate if they have driven it over any distance / speed.

If it was me I would bite the bullet and get the Ghost removed asap...you don't want a repeat performance when you are heading back from a family holiday in Europe.

Last edited:
Back