Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

AlanC....

Mine was registered in March 2010 and reported in August 2015 when the van was 5 years and a few months old. On return to UK in October 2015 pushed and got what I did. They tried putting the 4 year goodwill rule onto to me, I laughed...

I cannot stress enough, I really had to take VWCS to task and be very firm with them.

See the other post above re VWCS being able to clearly say another Cali based on its vin is not one of the affected engines.

They are......!

At no time today was there any dispute raised about our van not being one of the affected ones.

I initially called the number my dealer had given me and this was the dealers VWCS desk and not the customers desk. In the process of finding this out and being redirected, the operator said that that VWUK know the range of VIN numbers of vehicle affected,

The final position from Mr Taylor today was that the van was not under warrantee and basically too old. So no 'good will'.

Has anyone got a phone number for VWCS in Germany?

Alan

The trouble is these 3rd Party Warranty companies will do everything they can to get out of paying. In this case they would claim that it was either a known fault or wear & tear, so not covered.
Except (as I keep saying) wear and tear is included in my policy. And if VW refuse to pay on the basis that it's not a known fault then the warranty covers the cost.

I'm with warranty direct and they assure me that after a 90 day moratorium, failure caused by gradual wear is covered. Call them and ask.
I've checked my policy documents again and can confirm that the engine block and cylinder liners are covered for wear and tear.

I've checked my policy documents again and can confirm that the engine block and cylinder liners are covered for wear and tear.

That's great, my friend has a 180bhp 2010 Cali so I'll get him to look into it.

Are you sure there is no limit to a claim? Usually it's £2k per claim or something?

Re-reading my policy docs for the third time (thanks guys ;)) there seems to be no limit but faulty parts (as determined by an independent expert) are excluded and there is a betterment schedule which means that for a 6 yr old car they pay 90% tapering to a 10yr old car they pay 50% of the replacement parts. Labour is covered up to £200/h. As always, YMMV.

Avoid Warranty Direct, I had one of their policies on my previous car and they appear to do anything not to pay out, so many exclusions in the T&C. Nothing comes close to a manafacturers warranty.

I rang VW Commercial CS on 0800 7834909 just now and they could not tell me whether I am affected. They said that they have no access or knowledge of any list of VIN numbers that would indicate which vehicles are affected.

Brilliant

I rang VW Commercial CS on 0800 7834909 just now and they could not tell me whether I am affected. They said that they have no access or knowledge of any list of VIN numbers that would indicate which vehicles are affected.

Brilliant

B***s, of course they know.

The dealer desk knew, so the customer desk will have access to the same information.
I can't believe why they take the customers for idiots.

Alan

Avoid Warranty Direct, I had one of their policies on my previous car and they appear to do anything not to pay out, so many exclusions in the T&C. Nothing comes close to a manafacturers warranty.
Can you offer any details on your claim? Feel free to PM if you want to keep it private

There is a facebook group on this issue. Maybe worth keeping an eye on. No need to join the group to view, but obviously if you join you'll get notified of updates. There are no magic answers there, just more bits of the puzzle. https://www.facebook.com/groups/122196238114704/

There isn't much happening on that facebook page. I spoke to a chap in a VW garage that I know and trust today and he doesn't know of any vans that have been effected - he obviously hasn't seen EVERY 180 that is out there but he must see and hear about more than most. I have no reason not to trust him (but yes, I do own a 180 that I plan to sell in a few months and yes, I am worried on two counts - I don't want to lose too much money on it and I don't want to sell someone a dream machine which becomes a nightmare!)

How many 180's are really actually effected by this?

We had a fleet at work and they did astronomic mileage without issues...

There isn't much happening on that facebook page. I spoke to a chap in a VW garage that I know and trust today and he doesn't know of any vans that have been effected - he obviously hasn't seen EVERY 180 that is out there but he must see and hear about more than most. I have no reason not to trust him (but yes, I do own a 180 that I plan to sell in a few months and yes, I am worried on two counts - I don't want to lose too much money on it and I don't want to sell someone a dream machine which becomes a nightmare!)

How many 180's are really actually effected by this?

We had a fleet at work and they did astronomic mileage without issues...
That is the problem. Not every 2010 / 2011 180 was affected. The commercials that were affected were fixed under warranty because of their mileage. The Californias with the 180 engine rarely reached the trigger mileage within the warranty period. It is very difficult to find any information as to how big a problem this was/is .

I'd appreciate some advice on this issue - related to the most recent posts.

We have a September 2010 180 manual. We've done around 44k miles and I keep an eye on oil consumption. So far it has needed minimal topping up. I understand from this thread that that doesn't mean we won't have problems in the future, particularly as our mileage rises to 70-80k(?) and that excessive use of oil could arise quickly without warning.

My question is, should I be doing anything more than checking the oil regularly? I'm thinking there's no point in contacting VW, either at my local garage or Customer Services unless/until problems arise?

We intend keeping the van for at least another 5 years. We have it serviced by VW in accordance with their schedule.

I appreciate that we may (and only may) have problems in the future, but I'd really like to just get on with enjoying it in the meantime without pointless fretting!

Thanks in advance

Ian

You are doing everything correctly, so just enjoy your vehicle.
IF you have the problem and that is a big IF, you should easily pick it up if you check the oil level on a regular basis, especially after a long trip. You do have a Low Oil Alarm as a backup. Maybe carry a 1Litre of top-up oil in the space by the battery for peace of mind.
But just enjoy.
Don't forget - Any vehicle could suffer a major problem at anytime, even a brand new vehicle, and yours may not.

Not all 2010 180 have the problem and if so then the mileage it kicks in at varies a lot. As WG says, keep the oil topped and and enjoy the van. You may well get lucky.

Alan

Last edited:
Why are only 'some' affected? Is it a particular component that is failing?

I personally think VW need to release which ones are affected as this could make 2010/11 180 Cali's unslellable, if I was in the maket for buying a used Cali now I would certainly be steering well clear.

I think so too.

The problem seems to be dependent on which Customer Service operator you talk to. They don't all say the same thing, and that drives us all up the wall.

On another issue, this phrase ‘good will’ is also very worrying. To me it is an approach one person has to another. It is something you can loose when you fall out about something, as in 'I have lost his good will'.
As VW have no ‘good will’ for me, it becomes personal, an insult, why are they discrimination against me?

At best, I am assuming there is a budget named “good will’ that has yet to be renewed in the next financial year. If so then tell me that. I am not an idiot, am educated, have run a successful business and understand these things.

Given the bad press VW currently have world wide, you would think that VW HO and thereby the UK importers would be wanting to smooth as many ruffled feathers and possible in order to improve their standing in the eye of the public, and hence the big show at Birmingham this year. That is certainly what their December Press conference and Press Release last year stated. The UK importers,VWUK, don't seem to be singing the same tune as Hanover.

Sorry, rant over!

Alan

I think so too.

The problem seems to be dependent on which Customer Service operator you talk to. They don't all say the same thing, and that drives us all up the wall.

On another issue, this phrase ‘good will’ is also very worrying. To me it is an approach one person has to another. It is something you can loose when you fall out about something, as in 'I have lost his good will'.
As VW have no ‘good will’ for me, it becomes personal, an insult, why are they discrimination against me?

At best, I am assuming there is a budget named “good will’ that has yet to be renewed in the next financial year. If so then tell me that. I am not an idiot, am educated, have run a successful business and understand these things.

Given the bad press VW currently have world wide, you would think that VW HO and thereby the UK importers would be wanting to smooth as many ruffled feathers and possible in order to improve their standing in the eye of the public, and hence the big show at Birmingham this year. That is certainly what their December Press conference and Press Release last year stated. The UK importers,VWUK, don't seem to be singing the same tune as Hanover.

Sorry, rant over!

Alan
Agree, it seems you have to cover your van with complaints re VW and known engine issues etc and with the help of social media you might get some action.

Why are only 'some' affected? Is it a particular component that is failing?

I personally think VW need to release which ones are affected as this could make 2010/11 180 Cali's unslellable, if I was in the maket for buying a used Cali now I would certainly be steering well clear.
This is the key question. At the moment, no one seems to know how many Calis are affected and in the absence of any real evidence we have a discussion fuelled by speculation that all 2010/11 180 Calis are affected.

The best evidence we have comes from the poll WelshGas set up. Only 2 of the 7 vans who have so far replied suffer(ed) from excess oil consumption. As others have said, relatively few Calis have done high mileage and 4 of the 7 have driven over 40k miles.

However given that only 7 vans have replied to the poll suggests this isn't a widespread issue. As an indication, there were around 200 180 Calis registered in 2010 and the first half of 2011 in the UK (https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/volkswagen_california_se_tdi_180). OK, so not all owners by any means use this forum ... and not all of these will have done 50k+ miles ... but if only a fraction of high mileage Calis were affected there would be many, many more owners on this forum looking for answers.

I'm not trying to be defensive, I just like to deal in facts. If anyone's got any better evidence I'd love to hear it. I agree entirely that if VW were upfront then we'd know what we were dealing with.

Last edited:
Lol....

Would you like to take the risk if buying....?

The fact is it's an expensive problem. I have my new engine at 30% contribution. But look at the nonsense AlanC is going through at the moment with VW.

All those of you in 'denial' of this issue, stop deluding yourself....

Lol....

Would you like to take the risk if buying....?

The fact is it's an expensive problem. I have my new engine at 30% contribution. But look at the nonsense AlanC is going through at the moment with VW.

All those of you in 'denial' of this issue, stop deluding yourself....
No one is " in denial " we just don't know. All we can say is that there is very little on the internet about this problem. I would have thought there would have been a lot more if every 2010/2011 180 Bi-Turbo was affected.
I'm not trying to minimise this problem just putting it into perspective based on the available evidence.

No one is " in denial " we just don't know. All we can say is that there is very little on the internet about this problem. I would have thought there would have been a lot more if every 2010/2011 180 Bi-Turbo was affected.
I'm not trying to minimise this problem just putting it into perspective based on the available evidence.

Clearly every 180 Bi-Turbo is NOT affected.

But if your a prospective buyer of one from 2010/11...why take the risk ?

If your a prospective seller of one from 2010/11, beware, if you sell knowing the position as you may not be protected by 'buyer beware'

Unless you have had the hassle that I have been through getting a new engine, and others to include what AlanC is going through now with VW......

Clearly every 180 Bi-Turbo is NOT affected.

But if your a prospective buyer of one from 2010/11...why take the risk ?

If your a prospective seller of one from 2010/11, beware, if you sell knowing the position as you may not be protected by 'buyer beware'

Unless you have had the hassle that I have been through getting a new engine, and others to include what AlanC is going through now with VW......
All we're trying to do - not unreasonably - is to quantify the potential risk by gathering some more information based on evidence rather than anecdote and sweeping generalisation. Only c.1% of 2010/11 Calis so far seem to have this issue ...

What I'd like to know is what % of Transporters have been affected? What patterns have emerged? Have these all needed new engines or can engines be modified in some way? Is the 30% owner contribution standard across dealers? What are German/Dutch Cali owners saying about it? Have they quantified the issue or mounted any kind of collective action? etc etc.

Building an informed case might just be more effective for Alan rather than having to rely on a bolshy attitude alone. Sellers and prospective buyers would then know what they're dealing with.

All we're trying to do - not unreasonably - is to quantify the potential risk by gathering some more information based on evidence rather than anecdote and sweeping generalisation. Only c.1% of 2010/11 Calis so far seem to have this issue ...

What I'd like to know is what % of Transporters have been affected? What patterns have emerged? Have these all needed new engines or can engines be modified in some way? Is the 30% owner contribution standard across dealers? What are German/Dutch Cali owners saying about it? Have they quantified the issue or mounted any kind of collective action? etc etc.

Building an informed case might just be more effective for Alan rather than having to rely on a bolshy attitude alone. Sellers and prospective buyers would then know what they're dealing with.

You simply won't get reliable information.

If you either own or are buying a 180 Bi Turbo from 2010/11, it's a case of Russian Roulette whether or not you either are or will be affected.

It's as simple as that.

Back