Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

Don't agree....

I should not need a new engine as the original should have done 200k plus anyway.

There is now a mismatch between the engine and the rest of the van. It will likely not affect the lifespan of the van at all. And you know what, a private buyer off me will likely be suspicious of it having a new engine.

Don't agree....

I should not need a new engine as the original should have done 200k plus anyway.

There is now a mismatch between the engine and the rest of the van. It will likely not affect the lifespan of the van at all. And you know what, a private buyer off me will likely be suspicious of it having a new engine.
Not if they have a modicum of common sense.

But as I said, I can see their viewpoint even if it is not something you wish to hear at this time.

As my brother has said, for something as serious and as genuine as this, and it being a known problem. You would have thought VW would simply do the decent thing rather than alienate a loyal customer who will never now buy from them again.

My first VAG purchase was a new Beetle in the 1970s followed later by purchases from them of, Audi TT, Audi A2, Audi RS4 and of course the Cali. They have completely as of now alienated me.

Warranty is 2 years.

I have to say the new VW dealer at Plympton...Snows are excellent.

Have now written to VWCS to request a refund, will allow them to consider and comply prior to considering my options. I really do think my reasoning as set out above is sound.
Great to hear Snows have been " excellent" . It will save us traveling to Carrs in Exeter.

Don't agree....

Agree with you, VW should have paid it all.

No-one would buy a vehicle knowing the engine would only last 50k!!

Hi Guys,
I had a cali back in '08 and unfortunately had to sell but I'm looking again and I am keen on a 2010 180 DSG I have seen advertised (33k miles) but reading this thread makes me seriously reconsider for obvious reasons. In the thread the engine code mentioned is CFCA. When I do a vehicle check on my prospective purchase it comes up as CFC016303. I'm guessing this is still potentially the 'problem' engine. The van was registered in September 2010.
I suppose unless I can negotiate a really low price (hardly fair on the seller as he has had it from new) then I should walk away?

In a word...YES, that's within the build period concerned.

Hi Nick,

Yes you are right, the code is technically CFC. The bore wear problem was spotted by VW soon after the 180bhp engine was introduced with an engine change instituted sometime in 2011, can't tell you exactly when, but the letter designation (CFC) remained the same. The high oil consumption tends to kick in at about 40-50k miles.

I have a March 2010 van with the problem, as does BerndRos.

So I would be wary of a 2010 van, unless the engine has already been changed.

Alan

Is there any chance of a survey on the forum and some attempt to find how many owners have a van in the zone of concern? We have a March 2011 180 4motion but with only 30k on the clock..... engine number CFC 030126..... A likely candidate?

Hi Nick,

Yes you are right, the code is technically CFC. The bore wear problem was spotted by VW soon after the 180bhp engine was introduced with an engine change instituted sometime in 2011, can't tell you exactly when, but the letter designation (CFC) remained the same. The high oil consumption tends to kick in at about 40-50k miles.

I have a March 2010 van with the problem, as does BerndRos.

So I would be wary of a 2010 van, unless the engine has already been changed.
Alan

Thanks Alan. The van in question hasn't had an engine change. It hasn't shown any signs of problems but it has only done 33k miles so its likely to develop for the next owner. Its a shame as its a great van but I don't feel I can offer a low price with a possible future engine change as a reason as that doesn't seem at all fair on the current owner so I guess I'll walk away.
As 'greenfinty' intimates if the engine prefix of CFC remained on the subsequent 'good' engines introduced 'sometime in 2011' it does leave 2011 owners in the dark. Would have been far better if VW had changed the engine prefix so it was clear when the new units started.
Sounds from the threads I've read today that customer consideration isn't as high a priority as it ought to be.

As I have said before...you have NO idea if an engine will be afflicted. It's very hit and miss and the problem manifests itself quickly. Mine did at 50000 miles and it seems that's par for the course.

This affects the 180BHP engine from March 2010 when the engine was introduced for deliveries until late 2011....

Is there any chance of a survey on the forum and some attempt to find how many owners have a van in the zone of concern? We have a March 2011 180 4motion but with only 30k on the clock..... engine number CFC 030126..... A likely candidate?
I've set one up. Now it depends on members voting to see how big a problem it is. However I fear that many 2010/2011 Californias may not have reached the trigger milage to give a fair assessment of the problem.

Have you tried using
http://www.resolver.co.uk/about
It's free

I tried Resolver when I was engaged in "discussions" with VWCS over Albert's electrical problems.

I am still waiting for them to resolve.

They just seemed to disappear on me.

@BerndRos I am so sorry you are being asked to even part with a penny. It is quite disgusting. Your experience with VWCS mirror's mine. "Nothing to do with us Guv, it must all be resolved with a Dealer at their discretion"....

@BerndRos I am so sorry you are being asked to even part with a penny. It is quite disgusting. Your experience with VWCS mirror's mine. "Nothing to do with us Guv, it must all be resolved with a Dealer at their discretion"....[/QUOTE]

Yes, as per my reports above I now have the Cali back having paid 30% contribution. Will look forward to inspecting & driving it when I return to the UK next week, then in April a 500 mile trip to Silverstone and back which will show if all is ok with it.

Our van has been through the VW specified 'oil weight' test now and found to be consuming oil outside the manufacturer's spec. 1.5lts in 1000Kms.

The ball is in VWCS court and I plan to chase them up next week if they haven't been in touch by then.

BTW our oil problem kicked in at 80K on the way to Spain last October.

Alan

Had my first run in my re engined Cali and it's all OK

Will be giving it a 500 mile run in a couple of weeks time in order to highlight and fitting issues.

Had my first run in my re engined Cali and it's all OK

Will be giving it a 500 mile run in a couple of weeks time in order to highlight and fitting issues.

I hope that all goes well with it.

Today I did my prep for my Scotland trip and checked the oil. Serviced in October done less than 2000 miles and at the bottom of the dipstick! Spoke to my dealer today and advised to monitor while away, then if it is an issue proceed with a case for the engine. I'm currently at 69000 miles but second owner.
Let's see what happens while up in Scotland.

Today I did my prep for my Scotland trip and checked the oil. Serviced in October done less than 2000 miles and at the bottom of the dipstick! Spoke to my dealer today and advised to monitor while away, then if it is an issue proceed with a case for the engine. I'm currently at 69000 miles but second owner.
Let's see what happens while up in Scotland.
Which engine do you have?

Back