Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

What was the level after the service?

Were you using oil before the service?

Service was full oil and filter, 7 litres so I'm told, had topped up before but didn't know how much had been in. Hadn't really done many miles last year, for one reason or another, but this year have a few big trips in place hence my concern.

Today I did my prep for my Scotland trip and checked the oil. Serviced in October done less than 2000 miles and at the bottom of the dipstick! Spoke to my dealer today and advised to monitor while away, then if it is an issue proceed with a case for the engine. I'm currently at 69000 miles but second owner.
Let's see what happens while up in Scotland.

That Oil usage is not likely to be within criteria VW set for works needed to rectify the situation. However if your engine is affected the issues will get worse quickly. So monitor and act now.

Although my claim was delayed due to the birth of another grand daughter, I have now been able to plough through the VWCS system.

I have a case file and a named operator who has been in contact with me and Breeze in Poole.

And the result is zilch!

VWCS's position is that they are there to resolve any difficulties between the dealers and the customer. They are not able to offer any good will and expect the dealer to do this. So basically they are washing their hand of this situation.

I have asked for my case to be escalated up the chain and am expecting a call next week. In the meantime I am trying to talk to Breeze without success at the mo.

Alan

AlanC...

You should now get firm with VWCS.

Based on my situation they will put in 60% of the cost and the garage 10%...you would then pay the 30% balance.

What happens is that the garage come up with the quote for all the work, VW pay the garage the 60%. As its a big job look at it from the angle that's it's in the garage interest to give you the 10% of such a lucrative job.

I would rate VWCS zero on the issue of my engine as all they wanted to do was lie and mislead. Luckily the service manager was a gem and bought sanity to the situation. Without him I would have been helpless.

Have now covered approx 600 miles since the engine was changed and it's running perfectly.

Thanks BernRos,

That breakdown is very useful.

I am puzzled that VWCS say there is no 'good will' and then offer 'good will' seems very contrary. Certainly my dealings with VWCS so far has been confusing to say the least.

Alan

Well all I can say is that at a certain point in my dealings, which was when I get VERY bullish with VWCS , they went from offering NO goodwill to offering 60% within the same phone call.

Hi, having been put off buying a 2010 180 CFCA engined Cali I have now found another potential purchase which is another 180 CFCA engined van that was registered in January 2012. From reading the forum it seems that '09-'11 engines are effected. This one is only just '12 so who knows if it could be potentially a 'bad' one? It would be really useful to know a which point the engines were 'good' again. I have the engine number but doubt that VW would definitively say if it is one that had the 'update'. The van has only done 25k miles but I want to keep it some time. Wonder if I need to get a late '12 or a '13 to be safe?

Hi, having been put off buying a 2010 180 CFCA engined Cali I have now found another potential purchase which is another 180 CFCA engined van that was registered in January 2012. From reading the forum it seems that '09-'11 engines are effected. This one is only just '12 so who knows if it could be potentially a 'bad' one? It would be really useful to know a which point the engines were 'good' again. I have the engine number but doubt that VW would definitively say if it is one that had the 'update'. The van has only done 25k miles but I want to keep it some time. Wonder if I need to get a late '12 or a '13 to be safe?
The fault was corrected in early 2011 so you really need to find out when the vehicle was built and not when it was registered. VW can tell you that from the VIN number.

So after just short of 1500 miles to Scotland and back I used about 2/2.5l of oil!
Do you think that would bring it into the criteria for VW to be looking at it?
As you can imagine I'm not happy about it.

So after just short of 1500 miles to Scotland and back I used about 2/2.5l of oil!
Do you think that would bring it into the criteria for VW to be looking at it?
As you can imagine I'm not happy about it.

Likely your borderline as VW tolerance is 1 litre Oil per 1000km...which from what you say is about where your at. If your engine is affected it will get worse rapidly though.

What engine do you have, what mileage, and when built.

It's the 180 bi turbo of the 2010 variety and just clicked over 70000 whilst away, so bang in where the affected engines seem to be.
I'm going to speak to my local VW place that service it and see what they think. They had a quick look over the engine before I went away, as I was concerned about ths problem. We'll see what the outcome is in a week or so.

That is quite likely going to be one of the affected engines. VWCS know the range of VIN numbers involved.

Keep an eye on the consumption and if you think you have the problem, book your van into a VW Van dealer for the formal test. Once you have gone through that, then talk to VWCS. Expect a lot of denial that it is not their problem though.

Alan

That is quite likely going to be one of the affected engines. VWCS know the range of VIN numbers involved.

Keep an eye on the consumption and if you think you have the problem, book your van into a VW Van dealer for the formal test. Once you have gone through that, then talk to VWCS. Expect a lot of denial that it is not their problem though.

Alan

Just called VWCS and they tell me that my engine is not one of the affected ones. It was manufactured on 12th November 2011 but the van was registered in January 2012. Fingers crossed they are correct. Be nice to get it in writing but I doubt they'd do that eh?

You can confirm the registered date with your DVLA V5 document. The first registered date should be on there.

Alan

You can confirm the registered date with your DVLA V5 document. The first registered date should be on there.

Alan

First registered date yes but the vehicle may have been manufactured months even years earlier.

First registered date yes but the vehicle may have been manufactured months even years earlier.
Hi,
As I mentioned in my earlier post the vehicle was manufactured 12th November 2011 and UK registered on 12th January 2012. VWCS confirm from the VIN that the engine is outside those affected by the bore linings issue and gave me the exact build date.

Latest update on my case.

VWCS have stated categorically that there is no good will available to me. Their reasoning, once I pushed to find out is:
a/ Out of warrantee period with no paid extension.
b/ Over 4 years old.

Given that both the sign written panel van was the same age as mine and was offered good will back in December 2015 (5 years old), and BernRos's Cali also the same age as mine was also repair with good will in February 16 (just still 5 years old, I can't see how they can say that. Both of these are outside the 4 year rule.

The Service Manager at Breeze is very supportive and will see if he can move them.

A very angry Alan

Hi,
As I mentioned in my earlier post the vehicle was manufactured 12th November 2011 and UK registered on 12th January 2012. VWCS confirm from the VIN that the engine is outside those affected by the bore linings issue and gave me the exact build date.

I think Snowy55 was speaking generally rather than specifically about your van.

He is right though, in many cases a vehicle can be sitting in a yard from months before it is registered. However the Cali is made to order and as such will probably be registered quite quickly after manufacture.

Alan

Latest update on my case.

VWCS have stated categorically that there is no good will available to me. Their reasoning, once I pushed to find out is:
a/ Out of warrantee period with no paid extension.
b/ Over 4 years old.

Given that both the sign written panel van was the same age as mine and was offered good will back in December 2015 (5 years old), and BernRos's Cali also the same age as mine was also repair with good will in February 16 (just still 5 years old, I can't see how they can say that. Both of these are outside the 4 year rule.

The Service Manager at Breeze is very supportive and will see if he can move them.

A very angry Alan
Stay angry and keep pushing but keep an inner calm.

just parking this here again for anyone potentially affected
The trouble is these 3rd Party Warranty companies will do everything they can to get out of paying. In this case they would claim that it was either a known fault or wear & tear, so not covered.

AlanC....

Mine was registered in March 2010 and reported in August 2015 when the van was 5 years and a few months old. On return to UK in October 2015 pushed and got what I did. They tried putting the 4 year goodwill rule onto to me, I laughed...

I cannot stress enough, I really had to take VWCS to task and be very firm with them.

See the other post above re VWCS being able to clearly say another Cali based on its vin is not one of the affected engines.

They are......!

Just called VWCS and they tell me that my engine is not one of the affected ones. It was manufactured on 12th November 2011 but the van was registered in January 2012. Fingers crossed they are correct. Be nice to get it in writing but I doubt they'd do that eh?

What is the VWCS contact number you used?

Back