Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

The problem appears to be excessive wear in the bores (I have been told by my dealer) and usually occurs in higher mileage vehicles, 40k and above is typical. If this van develops the oil problem then VW will investigate and could well be willing to contribute to a replacement engine, as the precedent has now been set.

So it may well be worth buying, provided the price takes this issue into account.
A good negotiating issue I would think.

I would not worry about a past MOT comment.
The engine management light can come on for a number of issues. If it is not on now, then the fault has been found, repaired and the light reset.

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks Kev.

Seems like I can't really recommend this Cali to my friend! Shame as it was a nice one and at a good price (though maybe that should be a concern)
Have you asked the Seller about the Engine Light? Bet it was the EGR valve, which has been replaced no doubt. Also not all 2010/2011 180's were affected.

Have you asked the Seller about the Engine Light? Bet it was the EGR valve, which has been replaced no doubt. Also not all 2010/2011 180's were affected.

He'll ask him, this Cali is for a friend, his work colleague has offered to him so doubt he'd be trying to hide anything. Not saying it has the oil consumption problem at the moment.

However realistically & sad to say, would anyone recommend a 2010 180bhp with 50k miles Cali to someone at the moment?

He'll ask him, this Cali is for a friend, his work colleague has offered to him so doubt he'd be trying to hide anything. Not saying it has the oil consumption problem at the moment.

However realistically & sad to say, would anyone recommend a 2010 180bhp with 50k miles Cali to someone at the moment?
Personally, as long as I was aware of the problem and went into the deal with my eyes open to the possible consequences, then yes. If the rest of the vehicle is in good condition. I would try and get a price reduction. Those who have had this problem, in a vehicle with a full VW Service record, have had to contribute about £2000. So that could be a starting point. Without a full VW Service record then VW are likely to say No. I'm not saying it might not have been properly serviced with VW parts etc: but a new engine would cost about £7000. In that case I would see what a Dealer or We Buy Any Car would offer as a starting point for negotiations.

I will report fully re mine in a week or so, it's quite scary and VW do not even check if you have a service history. They base thinking on normally offering goodwill up to 4 years from new.

The total cost is in excess of £8500.

Start on the assumption of no goodwill and the £8500 cost, negotiate when buying secondhand on that basis. Also please bear in mind that the issue does not creep up on the van, it's oil consumption literally falls off a cliff. A van purchased in good order today may manifest the issue within weeks.

Sorry, that's the stark reality.

If the van has been serviced at a VW dealer, VWUK will know all that any dealer has done to it, as do the other dealers. The database the dealers use belongs to VWUK.

Obviously any work done outside the VW network won't have been recorded on the database.

Alan

My friend has been offered a 2010 180bhp Cali around 50k miles from a work colleague

Obviously hard for me to recommend it to him without being concerned about this.

Just checked the old MOT's and it states in advisories from 2014

"Engine management light on"

Guessing there's no way to check for this issue without driving the Cali for 500 miles and checking the oil.

Would anything show up on a VCDS scan?

Your friend should also be aware that at 6 years there are no more warranty repairs on the roof. He must check under the seal on the raising part of the roof and give the fixed part a thorough inspection even under black plastic covers above the side doors.

Respray raising roof with new bellows,they often tear on removal, new seal about £2000, but the body shop would not warrant the job because of the inherent design flaw. Brand new roof sprayed, new bellows and seal £5000. Replace fixed section above the windscreen £5000.
Something to think about.

Your friend should also be aware that at 6 years there are no more warranty repairs on the roof. He must check under the seal on the raising part of the roof and give the fixed part a thorough inspection even under black plastic covers above the side doors.

Respray raising roof with new bellows,they often tear on removal, new seal about £2000, but the body shop would not warrant the job because of the inherent design flaw. Brand new roof sprayed, new bellows and seal £5000. Replace fixed section above the windscreen £5000.
Something to think about.

Thanks, the Cali is within the 6 years, but just about, it has the roof issues on the front panel so it would be a case of getting this to VW very quickly!

All the replacement stuff inc engine going well.....VW Snows have had to order a few extra bits including gaskets in....can't wait to get the Strudel Van back all fettled up and ready to go...pity I won't have the engine that pistoned me through those 22 countries on my epic trip, but I guess in spirit it's the same Cali......

All the replacement stuff inc engine going well.....VW Snows have had to order a few extra bits including gaskets in....can't wait to get the Strudel Van back all fettled up and ready to go...pity I won't have the engine that pistoned me through those 22 countries on my epic trip, but I guess in spirit it's the same Cali......

Interesting, sorry if I've missed it but how much are you contributing if any towards the total cost?

Is it a complete new engine or a rebuild?

Thanks

I can now report on the final outcome of my engine issues. While I am relieved I am certainly not happy and will be writing to the head of VWCV in order to complain. My aim will be to get a refund of the contribution I have had to pay towards the works. It is all very well to say that I will now have the benefit of a new engine etc, but the point is I should not have needed one.

TPI 2039839-5 version 1 dates from 2011. In summary it says...Excessive Oil Consumption, worn cylinder walls, replace base Engine, CAT & DPF, Lambda Probe, New Software. The TPI is now on version 9 from earlier this year.

My van was registered in March 2010, at say average UK mileage of 10k per annum it would have covered 50k at 5 years of age, 2 years out of warranty. Therefore in 2011 VW knew that those of us with the suspect engines would hit the issues well out of warranty as the problem manifests itself at about 50k. On this basis I feel that they should simply do the decent thing and replace FOC.

VWCS have been very difficult to deal with, their line was that they had NO money and it was up to the inspecting dealer to make a contribution. I bought my van new off a now defunct VW dealer and had the works carried out by Snows of Plympton who have been superb to deal with.

Final bill was circa £7660. VWCS put in 60%, Snows 10% leaving me to pay 30%..£2297.

My advice for those of you who will run into this issue on your 180BHP engines is to act ASAP as VWCS say that goodwill is normally only offered up to 4 years from registration, as each month goes by you will stand less of a chance of them helping out.

Hope this is of some use.

Out of intrest what waranty are you being given on new engine and parts, glad you got 70% but £2.2K still a big outlay that you did not plan for

Warranty is 2 years.

I have to say the new VW dealer at Plympton...Snows are excellent.

Have now written to VWCS to request a refund, will allow them to consider and comply prior to considering my options. I really do think my reasoning as set out above is sound.

Warranty is 2 years.

I have to say the new VW dealer at Plympton...Snows are excellent.

Have now written to VWCS to request a refund, will allow them to consider and comply prior to considering my options. I really do think my reasoning as set out above is sound.
Have you got a copy of the TPI?
It could be useful to others, especially if the Forum Management could host it in the relevant section.

Glad to hear you have your Cali back, I agree with you wholeheartedly and hope you receive a refund. It has been the same with my front roof panel VW knew their were problems way before my warranty expired but did not annouce the remedial action until the warranty had expired. As for having no money they have just set aside €7.4 billion euros for the diesel emmision problem in USA.
I feel very let down.

John

WG...No as the dealer has no authority to part with it.

I can now report on the final outcome of my engine issues. While I am relieved I am certainly not happy and will be writing to the head of VWCV in order to complain. My aim will be to get a refund of the contribution I have had to pay towards the works. It is all very well to say that I will now have the benefit of a new engine etc, but the point is I should not have needed one.

TPI 2039839-5 version 1 dates from 2011. In summary it says...Excessive Oil Consumption, worn cylinder walls, replace base Engine, CAT & DPF, Lambda Probe, New Software. The TPI is now on version 9 from earlier this year.

My van was registered in March 2010, at say average UK mileage of 10k per annum it would have covered 50k at 5 years of age, 2 years out of warranty. Therefore in 2011 VW knew that those of us with the suspect engines would hit the issues well out of warranty as the problem manifests itself at about 50k. On this basis I feel that they should simply do the decent thing and replace FOC.

VWCS have been very difficult to deal with, their line was that they had NO money and it was up to the inspecting dealer to make a contribution. I bought my van new off a now defunct VW dealer and had the works carried out by Snows of Plympton who have been superb to deal with.

Final bill was circa £7660. VWCS put in 60%, Snows 10% leaving me to pay 30%..£2297.

My advice for those of you who will run into this issue on your 180BHP engines is to act ASAP as VWCS say that goodwill is normally only offered up to 4 years from registration, as each month goes by you will stand less of a chance of them helping out.

Hope this is of some use.

Thanks for the update, really appreciated and fingers crossed you get the correct response from VWCS.

That is very good news. I hope my claim goes as smoothly. Having just retired, we could do without this cost though.

Currently 640Km into the test with the oil level nearing the bottom of the dipstick. I expect the light to come on any day now.

Alan

Read my posts above......

I have had no joy so far with VW returning my 30% contribution. They take the view that as the van is out of the 3 year warranty, I ought to be eternally grateful that they agreed the 70% contribution, not withstanding that they knew in a TPI in 2011 about these engines issues. At that time my van was only 1 year old and had 2 years of warranty left.

Basically they are saying that if you spend 50K plus on a California and after 50000 miles it needs almost £8000 spending on it for a new engine etc, that's OK...!

Scandalous or What ?

VWCS....

When I said that I thought in Germany they were simply replacing the affected engines FOC...VWCS even tried to explain to me that Cali's are built to different engineering specs there as opposed to the UK, due to the different climate etc. Talk about trying to be taken for a fool....

Will now try to contact heads of VWCS & VWCV.

I agree, but acting as the Devils Advocate, who should pay for the 50,000 miles use of the original engine.
The TPI 2011 acknowledged the problem, but it wasn't each and every engine produced in 2010/11. Commercial Vans of that era with the 180 engine probably had the problem whilst under warranty, but once again not every van had the problem at 50,000 miles.
The problem has been solved, a new engine and the re-sale price probably increased as a result.
It is unfortunate that you have had this unexpected expense.
I suppose you could have just put in part exchange for a T6 and kept quiet and let the Dealership sort it out.
I'm not supporting VW in anyway, but I can see their point of view however unpalatable it may be.

VWCS....

When I said that I thought in Germany they were simply replacing the affected engines FOC...VWCS even tried to explain to me that Cali's are built to different engineering specs there as opposed to the UK, due to the different climate etc. Talk about trying to be taken for a fool....

Will now try to contact heads of VWCS & VWCV.
Now that is something to take them to task on. The California comes out of the "Van" factory as a Multivan base vehicle with RHD alongside all the LHD vehicles. There is no engineering difference .

Back