Re: Poll - DSG or Compromise (Manual)

DSG or Manual Gearbox?

• DSG

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • Compromise

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
complexity and lack of control with DSG does open it up to problems like the ones below.

Do people really still buy manuals ? Wonder if they all have Windows 95 computers too?

Do people really still buy manuals ? Wonder if they all have Windows 95 computers too?
Lol.
Spending more to buy an automatic. Spending more on servicing your auto. Having to deal with some annoying behaviour of the automatic.

Do people still buy Apple?

Quite a silly response to this thread.

Hahaha

A manual Ocean with a MacBook Pro and iPad Pro. Not mutually exclusive.770CB5B9-F7F0-446C-9049-C01EC5B38729.jpeg

Last edited:
You mean they still make manual gearboxes ? They will disappear soon I guess like black and white TVs

No compromise, just different. What's wrong with that?

One reason I didn't vote: I don't know what a compromise is. I know about automatic, robotised manual, continuous variable transmissions and manual transmissions, but I don't know compromised transmission.

In fact, as from the T5, there is no automatic gearbox anymore. It's all DSG. And that is a robotised MANUAL gearbox.

One reason I didn't vote: I don't know what a compromise is. I know about automatic, robotised manual, continuous variable transmissions and manual transmissions, but I don't know compromised transmission.

In fact, as from the T5, there is no automatic gearbox anymore. It's all DSG. And that is a robotised MANUAL gearbox.
The old Ducato auto was robotised manual, desperately slow and clunky.
The DSG manages without the old fuel gobbling slush box yet still changes gear with consummate speed/smoothness and of course automatically. The only obvious flaw is the reverse up hill hesitation some people experience but hey I think vacuum operated windscreen wipers were the ultimate in automation, different strokes..............

I thought the clue was in the description - manual, i.e. by hand. Any system devised for a gearbox causing it to change gears without the driver depressing a clutch and pushing a gear lever around I would think could rightly be called automatic, no matter how the system operates.

On my second van now and would not consider a DSG box, I like to change gear myself.

On my second van now and would not consider a DSG box, I like to change gear myself.
Of course you could leave the DSG in manual mode, just no clutch operate every time you change gears, alternatively those 12 pushes every time you go up and down the manual box will keep you fit and develop those left leg muscles a treat.

Back