KernowLad wrote......I'd rather cheesegrate my parts then dip them in vinegar

That sent a shiver through me.........

more than a shiver BrendRos ...i may have nightmares :shocked

I had nightmares automatically :)

James

:funny

Re: DSG or compromise?

KernowLad wrote............more than a shiver BrendRos ...i may have nightmares

Have heard about you strange buggers over other side of the Tamar.........!!!!!!

Do you think it would be possible to get away with wild camping on the quay by the harbour at St Ives...?.......lovely spot.

Well, I tend to be averse to shelling out dosh for a parking ticket.......but fancy a few winter nights on the quay at St Ives........would be funky, and having spent 15 months sleeping in my Cali up to end of this March, but only two nights since, fancy getting a few nights away.

Manual for me :thumb these comments seem all a little onesided!

Re. St. Ives visited this summer for the day, and could not bring myself to drive through town, so parked up by the Tate and walked, the small streets sent shivers down my spine, just thinking about driving the Cali through them. :shocked

A friend with a Caravelle tells me that DSG is more expensive upfront and then when things do go wrong they are much much more expensive to repair. Personally I have no experience of either. Now having prodded the hornets nest I plan to step back and watch.... :lol: :hello

MKRW.....wrote........

Re. St. Ives visited this summer for the day, and could not bring myself to drive through town, so parked up by the Tate and walked, the small streets sent shivers down my spine, just thinking about driving the Cali through them.

If you could see some of the places I drove on my travels.........makes St Ives seem like a doddle...........

BerndRos said:
Well, I tend to be averse to shelling out dosh for a parking ticket.......but fancy a few winter nights on the quay at St Ives........would be funky, and having spent 15 months sleeping in my Cali up to end of this March, but only two nights since, fancy getting a few nights away.

TBH I'm not sure but you can definitely wild camp slightly further down the coast towards Zennor - a stunning piece of coastline (and the Gurnards Head pub is a MUST visit place too!). St Ives is a total no go zone in season but will be fine now.

Head a bit further down and you get to Gwenvor and the nice (IMO) Trevedra Farm site.

I found an absolute HORROR of a road last week - Gweek (Seal Sanctuary) to Helford (posh river bit ) - VERY narrow, almost no passing places, loads of oncoming traffic. Had to reverse 1/4 mile three times into a tiny passing place after all oncoming traffic showed it couldn't reverse. I will NOT drive on it again in the van!!

The Quay at St Ives is lovely, but no, would not drive through the town. Last time I was there I saw a guy driving a T25 Autosleeper around, which I consider to be mental, it can be only for showing off purposes because you never really need to drive through the town.

There is a jetty by the Quay, that sometime people park on. From my experience the wild camping happens at the Station Car Park. Not glamourous I grant you, but it's easy to access, the car park itself and it is down by the beaches and although it costs it allows you access to the other council owned car parks.

Driving to the Quay is not easy, although out of season, it will certainly be devoid of people. There is a culture of wild camping in Penzance which seems to make my Dad chuckle, although, since they've opened the new Whetherspoons in St Ives, there is much less need for him to travel to Penzance :)

Driving through and arround St Ives is just a nightmare.

But it would probably be easier with some kind of gearbox which did not involve have to change by hand as you tried to navigate tight corners... I don't know something like a gearbox that automatically shifts for you..

James

van was in at the stealers today for its first service and my loan vehicle was a standard panel van and it was manual !!!!!!!!! aIl must say is respect is due to all you manual boys out there it has made me realise than once you have had dsg there is no going back.

AndyandLiz said:
van was in at the stealers today for its first service and my loan vehicle was a standard panel van and it was manual !!!!!!!!! aIl must say is respect is due to all you manual boys out there it has made me realise than once you have had dsg there is no going back.

They didn't give you a BMW then? :laugh2

I would take DSG if they did one for the Beach in the UK.

James

AndyandLiz said:
van was in at the stealers today for its first service and my loan vehicle was a standard panel van and it was manual !!!!!!!!! aIl must say is respect is due to all you manual boys out there it has made me realise than once you have had dsg there is no going back...if you prefer the more sedate way of life and listen to Radio 3

EFA... :D

just taken delivery of silver 180 DSG today :D
a much better drive than my 130 man (59)

Hi all
Our 2011 Cali is a DSG 4 motion. DSG/manual is no contest in favor DSG as a lot of times we are in towns/cities with heavy traffic. DSG makes it easy.

Flo said:
just taken delivery of silver 180 DSG today :D
a much better drive than my 130 man (59)

nice one flo. :thumb

AndyandLiz said:

Thanks guys for the respect :thumb ..... slightly old skool in some peoples eyes i know ,but being an old skool dubber split ,bay beetle boy then the DSG i'm not quite ready for yet...
it is strange as i would say the majority of all transporters & caddy vans go out as Manual transmissions and they are driven every day and everywhere ...
maybe this is due to the extra cost ...?
I've seen 2 caddy and 4 transporters in auto over the years.. I would have expected to have seen more now thinking about it

my pal kernow, would you like to buy this off me?

mNq8QjsDTpKpEWlCmgIU1tA.jpg

AndyandLiz said:
my pal kernow, would you like to buy this off me?

mNq8QjsDTpKpEWlCmgIU1tA.jpg

No but you could stop latching onto me, posting "ironic" surf pics, generally trying to be amusing but actually being a complete PITA. Sorry but you're really getting on my nerves now.

Let's also not forget the insult you flung at me then hastily removed when I voiced my opinion on affordability. Showing your true colours to all that saw it; you have a problem with me - your issue not mine.

Either stop being such a muppet or I'll leave the forum.

sorry manual guys, but it is DSG is the only way to go I do not accept all this when people say i love to feel like I am driving

van-solo said:
sorry manual guys, but it is DSG is the only way to go I do not accept all this when people say i love to feel like I am driving

Your opinion accepted mr solo .... I think it's a battle that either side will never really win ....:)

I drove an S4 (2011) which I believe has DSG (with some Audi name to it) last week. It has paddles too.

Certainly worked well and did a nice blip when changing down hard.

Still prefer the manual but looking at auto for a next BM - can we squeeze into an M135i - I'm hoping so!!

Re: DSG or compromise ???

Just came back from The Isle of Wight, cruising around the lanes with DSG was effortless. Our Cali is our leisure vehicle, we have had several vans over the years with manual boxes and since having the DSG there will be no going back.

Had a VW CC as a loan car a while back; 177PS, DSG box.
Up-changes are smooth but it otherwise annoyed the hell out of me; major hesitation when pulling away, had a mind of it's own, sport mode wasn't sporty. And that hesitation while trying to get on levelling ramps would drive me insane.

It's old tech now compared to the latest ZF autos and DCT boxes. Needs an oil change at 40k or it'll blow up and on the Cali it's worse on fuel, emissions and in the early versions slightly slower.

More modern semi autos and autos are better on all three aspects; much better.

Just thought this debate needed a little balance.

Back