Re: Poll - DSG or Compromise (Manual)

DSG or Manual Gearbox?

• DSG

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • Compromise

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would go for manual next time. A KernowLad says hesitation drives me mad & dangerous on roundabouts.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy said:
I would go for manual next time. A KernowLad says hesitation drives me mad & dangerous on roundabouts.

I thought the same until last week when I got our van remapped. Now the turbo lag is very much reduced.

Alan

No point really, but for fun Hazzydays can (I believe) fit steering wheel paddles for your DSG.

James

James said:
No point really, but for fun Hazzydays can (I believe) fit steering wheel paddles for your DSG.

James

Ooh! don't tell me that....

On our second auto car with paddles as I have to admit (rather guiltily) that I hardly ever use them.

You tend to adapt to the initial lag of the DSG.

I recall at first it concerted me when taking off at junctions or roundabouts.....but now 50K miles on I hardly notice it. If a quiet junction or roundabout I leave in 'D' or if busy I flick down to 'S'

BerndRos said:

I recall at first it concerted me when taking off at junctions or roundabouts.....but now 50K miles on I hardly notice it. If a quiet junction or roundabout I leave in 'D' or if busy I flick down to 'S'
Makes sense.

AlanC said:
Andy said:

I thought the same until last week when I got our van remapped. Now the turbo lag is very much reduced.

Alan

Hesitation is not turbo lag but DSG selecting gear & releasing clutch.

BerndRos said:

I will never get used to it, too many roundabouts here in Milton Keynes.
I have started using "S" on busy roundabouts which seems to help, but should not need to.

Andy said:
BerndRos said:

I will never get used to it, too many roundabouts here in Milton Keynes.
I have started using "S" on busy roundabouts which seems to help, but should not need to.

I think a remap can smooth the hesitance by changing the torque curve a little but modern remaps often adjust both the engine and gearbox settings.

Our old car needed to be in Sport (it was full auto) pulling away otherwise it hesitated too - I got used to it but it seemed a bit silly. The current one doesn't seem to do it which is a relief.

Gearboxes are getting cleverer and cleverer but I do like to use a manual sometimes just to feel more connected. The dash mounted stick (a bit like the Honda Civic) is a HUGE improvement over the old T4 floor mounted barge pole too.

Try a Land Rover Defender. The DSG California is positively sporty.

WelshGas said:
Try a Land Rover Defender. The DSG California is positively sporty.

Ours replaced a 2007 110xs :mrgreen:

So you know what I mean, and compared with a S 3?
It's just a different driving technique.
I went from a RX8 to a 90xs and so onto a California. Each different, each with its own technique to get the most out of the vehicle. The test drives I had in California's with manual and DSG boxes led me to order a DSG vehicle. A few local traders who have TD5 vans swear by the DSG box. Each to his own. :bananadance

Having driven a manual for the past 20 years it was a bit of a gamble going for the DSG but OMG I am converted, what a great gearbox this is, so effortless to drive, I just wish I was converted before ... all those years of wasting my life changing gears that I will never get back.

Any one that is still dithering with spec, just go for the DSG, you will not be disapointed.

Having driven a manual for the past 20 years it was a bit of a gamble going for the DSG but OMG I am converted, what a great gearbox this is, so effortless to drive, I just wish I was converted before ... all those years of wasting my life changing gears that I will never get back.

Any one that is still dithering with spec, just go for the DSG, you will not be disapointed.
Yep Good aren't they. 11 years with ours now and not a problem. Just tipped over the 100k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for DSG, just ordered a Golf with a DSG box well, I am well and trully converted

100% DSG for a cruiser (lack of bits of paper with our Queens head on prevented me from putting it on this time) but Manual on all my previous and future hot hatches!

Totally agree Adinalee111. Just use manual down steep hills to get correct engine braking without over revving . Dsg is brilliant . 2015 4 motion dsg .

DSG, easy and suits the cali somehow. Use S a lot.

Might think differently with a 4 motion, but only really miss the manual on tight manoeuvring particularly on hills.

O.M.G. the thread title! No wonder it's been dead for four years. OP has gone radio silent.

Who do you mean by we?

Why would a manual be a compromise?
For the way I am driving, I don't need a DSG.
I find a manual much easier to do small and difficult movements. You can feel much better how to give enough power to drive up levelling ramps, bad underground, ... without the fear of damaging anything because of the unpredictable power output of that DSG.
Then there is less to no service on a manual gearbox. Yes, once you might face a DMF and clutch change (200000 km or more). But that might be the case with parts in the DSG too.

And for long, boring trips on the highway? Drive your speed, put it in 6th gear, tap SET on the CC, and we're good for the next few 100 kms.

But I don't speak for all, I just speak for myself. And today, I don't need a DSG. Sometimes it might come in handy, but it certainly is no must for me.

Back