Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit parking heater discussion

+1 for what Andy says. We have a Silverscreen and it is brilliant.

Thanks-will investigate these!! One improvement at a time!!

defender1 said:
Had couple of nights away with the new heater being used in anger....spent time up in Braemar and Ballater at the weekend.
-2C outside, a hard frost and warm as toast inside.
Delighted with the comfort.

Now if we can just do something about the condensation on the front windscreen I would be really delighted!

Thanks for the update.
I'm gonna look at having mine fitted in the New Year.
As for condensation, do you have any wind deflectors...? I have some from dubflecta and leave the windows open half an inch. Really helps to reduce this :thumb

No wind deflectors but that is worth investigating. Thanks for that. They seem good value and you dont have to pack them, unlike the windscreen cover.
Slept upstairs last weekend in Keilder Forest and the condensation with the heater on low overnight was much less.

Discovered that it is much less hassle sleeping upstairs, as long as it isn't windy...!

Right, time to sort a diesel heater.
Bigbud and defender, you still happy with your installs by Advance...???
Any problems or advice on this install. Anything you would do differently...???

:help

soulstyledevon said:
Right, time to sort a diesel heater.
Bigbud and defender, you still happy with your installs by Advance...???
Any problems or advice on this install. Anything you would do differently...???

:help

Honestly, dead chuffed so far. They did a tidy job during the install. I really like where the control is and it looks close to 'factory' fit.

The guy (Pete) was a bit of a perfectionist and knew what he was doing and knew his way round the Beach. The advice to go for the VW underfloor brackets was sound (Webasto supply their own brackets as part of the kit) and in practice the heater is totally up to the job. There was scope to put in a larger heater (3.9KW as opposed to 2KW) but at an increased cost and he was right in that it wasn't needed for the UK.

We have been out sleeping in it below zero and it is toasty (roasting) if you sleep downstairs and the heat gets into the roof space even on low without any problems to keep it comfortable. The use of a topper (just in process of sorting that and a thermal screen out) will I hope make the roof even better, regardless of the weather, retaining more heat.

I would have little hesitation in recommending that you used them and Big Bud (the trailblazer) was really helpful with the info and the background.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks Defender.
Really good info, will let you know how I get on :thanks

Can any one advise me on the best auxiliary heater to retro-fit to my Beach and have you any info on the 'MW Airo 2KW as advertised in this months VWT magazine :help :thanks

Barefoot62 said:
and have you any info on the 'MW Airo 2KW as advertised in this months VWT magazine :help :thanks

from what I have read & heard on the T4 forum the MV Airo is a copy of the Webasto and can even use the same mountings. Seems to be cheaper than the Webasto or Eberspacher and spares supposedly cheaper as well. I picked up a flyer about it at a local converter but not sure if he is a supplier & installer or just a supplier. Importer/main agent is local to me in Southampton so I really ought to give them a ring and find out some more details. Like the others there are options to control via a remote and also text the unit from your phone to turn it on. No doubt these would bump the price up.

Does any body know about the Propex auxiliary Heater they seem to be about £400:00. cheaper than the diesel auxiliary heater are they any good? :help

I had a propex in my old conversion. It had a thermostat and worked well the only downside for me
Is being gas when the thermostat cuts out the fan continues to run for about 2 minutes cooling down what you just heated . you will loose some space also housing the gas bottle.I am more than happy to leave my Cali heater on all night not sure I would be happy too do that with the propex.

You have to carry a separate tank of propex.
Diesel is already there and far more convenient. It's a no brainer...!!!

Calikev said:
I had a propex in my old conversion. It had a thermostat and worked well the only downside for me
Is being gas when the thermostat cuts out the fan continues to run for about 2 minutes cooling down what you just heated . you will loose some space also housing the gas bottle.I am more than happy to leave my Cali heater on all night not sure I would be happy too do that with the propex.
Thanks for that :thanks I now know it have to save a little more .and go for the diesel

Finally have the heater fitted today.
Can't wait to test it out. Thanks to everyone for the replies on this thread and pictures. It's been a big help...!!!
Will report back some feedback and pictures :thumb

Congratulations - can't wait to see the pictures.

I'm still thinking about it but haven't plucked up the courage yet.

I'm sure someone on here can give me a rough idea how much it costs to retro fit a diesel heater but where is the best place to have it fitted if I live in Staffordshire :thanks

Alasdair

Barefoot62 said:
I'm sure someone on here can give me a rough idea how much it costs to retro fit a diesel heater but where is the best place to have it fitted if I live in Staffordshire :thanks

Alasdair

Slightly off topic - could you text me a picture of your mud flaps - front and rear

James

Barefoot62 said:

Alasdair

Would think about £1,200 ish...

Depends on what you buy Webasto/Eberspacher under floor boxed etc... And what controls you choose standard, timer, easy start...

Will be fitting one to ours at some point but am going to use JED first to see if we really need one... :D

Cheers

Shaun

bournemouthbeach said:
Barefoot62 said:

Alasdair

Depends on what you buy Webasto/Eberspacher under floor boxed etc... And what controls you choose standard, timer, easy start...

Will be fitting one to ours at some point but am going to use JED first to see if we really need one... :D

Cheers

Shaun

I am always in two minds about parking heaters

On the one hand, if ordering new, I'd simply not order one, why wouldn't you? If only for resale purposes.

I don't have a parking heater in mine, mine was a dealer demo and at the time the only other Beach in the country that as a dealer demo had a parking heater was in Tonbridge.

So the retrofitting idea really appeals to me, especially when it comes to resale value. But in two years of owning Betty Custard, we've not needed it, only because the way we use the Beach is as a daily driver with some going away and that tends to be hook up sites and in the warmer months. So for us, we've just got a £30 heater which suits the way we use the Beach.

£1000 is a lot of money, though for retrofitting the parking heater, I don't think it is that bad, we'd just never get the use out of it. In some ways, I wish I'd just had a parking heater from the off and then I wouldn't have to think about it lol

James

I think at £1,600 starting price from new is alot of money and we not going to spend that on a heater when i can buy one for a third of that and fit it myself... :) Of course if money was no worries the we would have bought the factory one as it made to fit but it's the same as the cost of the Xenon lights would love them but not at £1,200 If you can afford both then go for it, But as James says there is ALWAYS something and you have to draw a line somewhere.

Cheers

Shaun

James said:
bournemouthbeach said:
Barefoot62 said:

Alasdair

Cheers

Shaun

I am always in two minds about parking heaters

On the one hand, if ordering new, I'd simply not order one, why wouldn't you? If only for resale purposes.

I don't have a parking heater in mine, mine was a dealer demo and at the time the only other Beach in the country that as a dealer demo had a parking heater was in Tonbridge.

So the retrofitting idea really appeals to me, especially when it comes to resale value. But in two years of owning Betty Custard, we've not needed it, only because the way we use the Beach is as a daily driver with some going away and that tends to be hook up sites and in the warmer months. So for us, we've just got a £30 heater which suits the way we use the Beach.

£1000 is a lot of money, though for retrofitting the parking heater, I don't think it is that bad, we'd just never get the use out of it. In some ways, I wish I'd just had a parking heater from the off and then I wouldn't have to think about it lol

James

I don't know what happened to my reply but I think I'll go with James at buy a £30.00 electric heater and get myself a hook up. Thanks for the advise :thanks

Alasdair

I have bought mine not just for the advantages of more comfortable sleeping. But when we are on days out surfing etc and being able to heat the van to enjoy the space more. Its also less clutter and saves space by not having to carry another piece of kit. ie fan heater.

It's an expensive addition, but the way I see it I saved £5k on book price because I bought a demo van and really wanted this extra. Having used the van for the last year I know this will be a welcomed piece of kit
:mrgreen:

soulstyledevon said:
I have bought mine not just for the advantages of more comfortable sleeping. But when we are on days out surfing etc and being able to heat the van to enjoy the space more. Its also less clutter and saves space by not having to carry another piece of kit. ie fan heater.

It's an expensive addition, but the way I see it I saved £5k on book price because I bought a demo van and really wanted this extra. Having used the van for the last year I know this will be a welcomed piece of kit
:mrgreen:

I think it's what you use your van for. I can't helping feeling that having any type of parking heater will be a benefit when you come to sell. But we've lived without it, our little heater suits out needs.

If I was buying now of aim to have a van with it but you will pay a possible 3k premium on a demo van and lose other things. In this sense retrofit makes a lot of sense

James

I want to retro-fit a parking heater. I think I will eventually but at the moment mine is being used as more of a multivan than a camper.

I've also spent about a year getting niggles and rattles sorted so am a bit scared of having somebody pull all the trim off and start drilling holes in the floor in case it opens a world of pain again.

For that reason I think I'll be waiting until I really need it. It doesn't stop me wanting it though!

Back