Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit parking heater discussion

Without going out to the van, I'm not sure if it has the vents in the B pillar or not. One of the reasons we're going with Exporia for the heater is that it should look no different to OEM when fitted.
I'll look into the briefcase solar panels.

Got the parking heater (Webasto airtop 2000 w/ smart controller) installed on my Beach last week. When I turn it on, whatever the selected temperature, it seems to run full power and does not stop. Has anyone face a similar issue before?

Guys, just a quick update.
The Webasto fuel T piece failed and split, leaking a small amount of diesel. I immediately phoned Dirty Weekender and they carried out a temporary fix. They then ordered a replacement part and fitted free of charge.
I just wanted everyone to know, these guys did everything possible to repair the fault for me. I think good service like this needs to be recognised.

Massive thumbs up to the DW crew. A proper good bunch and probably one, of only a handful of people I would trust to work on my van.

Fantastic service :thumb

It is apparently possible to use the dashboard vents, not with the parking heater but the auxiliary (engine block) heater that it seems we have fitted as standard on the Beaches (check for a Webasto or Eberspacher sticker on or around the drivers door). There is a remote kit to turn this aux heater on. There has been talk of using this heater as an alternative to a dedicated cabin/living area heater. Its really intended to warm up the engine though so you would be heating the block and engine oil unnecessarily when camped up. As we have this aux heater already its a simpler install for the parking heater. Usually the fuel tank needs to be dropped to fit another fuel pump but with the aux heater the supply can be tee'd into that pipework.
Interesting that the latest Beaches appear to be coming with the vents in the B pillar. Think this thread originator looked into changing the B pillar trim to include the vents but there was no obvious path from the vents back to the heater unit. Hopefully there now is.
Good question about why people are choosing Webasto over Eberspacher, they seem pretty much on a par to me. Both in performance & cost.

I have the sticker below in my new 2017 Beach but have no way of turning it on? 1. Does it start to work when the engine is fired? 2. How do you get a remote fitted 3. Can this unit be used when retro -fitting a night heater - instead of having to fit another webasto?

20171130_115208.jpg

The thermotop is the coolant heater it comes on below 6c to help the engine get warm (5 and below), I know on the T5 (thermotop C)you can buy a kit to enable this by remote unless you already have one fitted. This will allow the heater to run for about 30 minutes but it is from the engine battery. So it is more a warm up tool and a short term heater designed to get the van warm on a winters day.

I never did fit the remote myself but I think it is a t91r or similar but I am not sure.

Last edited:
No remote just normal key fobs. On a Land Rover they start on ignition unless you have a remote fob I assume its the same with this unit. I would like to look into getting a remote for it and/or using it for cabin heating.

Yes it auto starts once the temperature is below 6c, you can sometimes hear a very faint ticking under the passenger floor when its running..

Anybody got a recommendation reasonably near Rickmansworth (M25 J18) that can/could fit a remote control to start it it 20/30 minutes before use as a pre warmer like my Discovery?

Anybody got a recommendation reasonably near Rickmansworth (M25 J18) that can/could fit a remote control to start it it 20/30 minutes before use as a pre warmer like my Discovery?
I bought a simple to fit kit for the wabasto coolant heater. You get a remote to start it. Other kits available with timer control. Bought from Polish website

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I haven’t read all the posts in detail but my suggestion would be to contact installers near large marinas . Virtually every boat will have a diesel heater. We have had several boats over the years all with diesel heaters both Eberspacher and Webasto and have had new and replacement heaters . I personally think Webasto are more reliable but one thing for certain they like to be run regularly even in the summer and should be wired so that they can’t be shut down without going through full shut down cycle . I think our Cali has an Eberspacher and Webasto coolant heater but could be other way round . I understand it’s to keep both suppliers going .

I can recommend Toby at Keto Marine in Southampton http://www.keto.co.uk/ he has fitted loads of Webasto heaters to boats and Vws over the years and did a great job on our boat 9 years ago . Can’t stress enough that it’s definitely a case of use it or lose it with diesel heaters .

Last edited:
Any details of "Polish Website" please?
Sorry taken so long to get back to you, was at work earlier. Website is
http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-transpo...-kit-engine-heater-parking-heater,id1540.html
this may not be correct for your cali, depends whether you have climatronic or manual heater. His kits are genuine VW / Wabasto hardware whith his own made wiring loom for it.
Control unit goes under passenger seat. Connects to fused live & ne wire goes through floor & plugs into heater.
To use you turn heater to hot with fan on when you park cali. Then later you can start it with remote. Be ware it uses the engine battery, so is possibility of flattening it. I used it at home with ehu plugged in,
Loads of info on interweb search " T91 telestart". System is fitted in a lot of vehicles.
If you need further help let me know.

Ps if I remember correctly this site is the only place I found that did a complete plug & play kit complete with wiring loom that fits the T5. The system talks to the heater module via the can bus to turn then heater blower on. VW will sell you the module but not the wiring loom.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back