Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What kind of parking heater do I have?

You can also tell the difference if you install a voltage meter to monitor leisure battery usage. The Beach comes with no way to monitor the draw or state of charge of the leisure battery, unless you install one, which I have. The coolant heater drops the voltage from 12.9 (fully charged) to 12.3 almost immediately, due to the draw of the dash vent mechanism, while the parking battery has an initially strong draw during ignition, which backs off to almost nothing after a couple of minutes. That's is why it can run all night while the coolant heater would flatten the battery, and why the control panel, which looks identical to the parking heater, has such a short time limit.
Easy way to tell if you have the original parking heater: If you have an original VW outlet flush with the B pillar, you do. If you have the control panel but no outlet on the B pillar, you have the programable coolant heater. If you have a heater outlet on the floor like the picture in the original post, you have an after market Webasto parking heater.

The coolant heater must have a coolant pump also to run then if the engine is off? Are you on night shifts too.... Same as me?
Yes, which is why it uses so much battery, specifically, leisure battery. The standard low temperature coolant heater in all T5/T6 runs off the engine battery (Transporters have the coolant heater but no leisure battery and no control by the driver), but when you specify the programable upgrade, it is wired to run off the leisure battery.

Opera musician, get off work an 1:00 A.M., then dinner, then whisky without an "e"...
Clue in the name. I have nothing to do with bananas or flying. Finally cleared up that heater thing though. I finish at 7am. Wonder what else I can solve? Ha

Clue in the name. I have nothing to do with bananas or flying. Finally cleared up that heater thing though. I finish at 7am. Wonder what else I can solve? Ha
My life could have been different, at 17, just as I was entering conservatory to prepare to enter the music profession, I was also invited to enter VW mechanic training academy in Germany. Probably would have made more money...

OK. If you have both of these stickers, you DO have a parking heater (Ebersprächer,), and the standard cold start coolant heater (Webasto). If you have a flush outlet on the B pillar, and you can set the time to infinity from the control panel, you have an original original equipment parking heater from VW. If you have no outlet on the B pillar, or an outlet in a different place (floor, base of front seat) you have an aftermarket Ebersprächer parking heater. Sheesh!

My life could have been different, at 17, just as I was entering conservatory to prepare to enter the music profession, I was also invited to enter VW mechanic training academy in Germany. Probably would have made more money...
Could have been called vwguru2 or vwyoda or something

OK. If you have both of these stickers, you DO have a parking heater (Ebersprächer,), and the standard cold start coolant heater (Webasto). If you have a flush outlet on the B pillar, and you can set the time to infinity from the control panel, you have an original original equipment parking heater from VW. If you have no outlet on the B pillar, or an outlet in a different place (floor, base of front seat) you have an aftermarket Ebersprächer parking heater. Sheesh!

Thanks for the exhaustive info. I really wish VW would have made this clearer.

Yes - I have two stickers specifying two separate heating units from different manufacturers. I am 99% certain that I can set the heating to infinity from the control panel while the ignition is off, and the heat definitely comes from a vent in the upright pillar behind the driver’s seat (is this the B-pillar?).

Thanks for the exhaustive info. I really wish VW would have made this clearer.

Yes - I have two stickers specifying two separate heating units from different manufacturers. I am 99% certain that I can set the heating to infinity from the control panel while the ignition is off, and the heat definitely comes from a vent in the upright pillar behind the driver’s seat (is this the B-pillar?).
Yes. From front to back, A pillar at windshield, B pillar behind the driver, etc.

I suspect the easiest way to tell is coolant heater heat comes out of the dash vents, parking heater the rear one.

Back