Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

service indicator

R

ROB

VIP Member
hi, had my cali serviced end of april , done very small amount of miles since, service reminder has started appearing to be serviced in 2000 miles , all very odd wondeing if anyone could help me with advice? thanks

Rob,

What engine does it have? What service regime? Was it carried out by VW or 3rd party?

If it's fixed service it could be circa 10k miles / 12 months.

Was it serviced last time as a result of the indicator coming up?

some have long life oil light comes on 2yrs .some have 12month oil .its how they just set the sensor .does your oil need topping up .

No matter what service regime you set the vehicle too it must have the same longlife oil in it regardless. Service light does not indicate that oil needs topping up.

Service interval on pre-facelift is 8,000-18,000 miles or two years.
Service interval on facelift is 8,000-25,000 miles or two years.

What was the date and mileage that it was serviced at last? Was the service light on when it went in?

Cheers

Re: service indicator, advice needed please

thanks guys
its a 2008 2.5 130, took into vw york, service reminder was on saying in 500 miles but the 2 years were just up since last service, this was in late april , since then i have only done approx 1500 miles , i did ask them to put servicing on 12 months as i do more short journeys than motorways the total mileage is just under 27k & has got a full vw service history, my local van centre is 100 mile round trip so hoping to avoid that

the vw dealers have offered to put the service light off next time im near garage, shame its 100 miles round trip !

You can normally do them manually yourself and instructions may be in the manual however this will reset everything back to fixed intervals if I remember correctly, it's possible that's all the garage will do anyway - I would confirm with them if they plan to correctly align the schedule with the current miles covered / time done.

The correct way to do it would be to manually edit the adaptation channels in the instrument cluster to match the current situation.

I do not believe it is possible to adapt the serivce indicator to take into account everything that you have done so far. The only thing that can be done is to reset it again to tim and distance which will bring it on in 9,000 miles or 12 months from the day it is reset, or to reset if to longlife servicing which from the day it was reset could possibly then not come on for 18,000 miles or two years.

cheers

thanks , is it simple to reset? its annoying me & cant put up with it until end of April! your help is appreciated, rob

I think it probably is possible with VAS Alex, it's just that nobody ever does it. If you can manually adapt a channel in 17-Instruments then I'm sure it would work.

VCDS has an automatic system to give a simple reset much like VAS would normally be used but you can also manually adapt the Service Interval channels -

sri-reset.png

Rob, Google reveals -

Press and hold the mileage reset button. Next, with the button still pressed, turn the ignition 2 clicks (but dont start). Release the mileage trip button, and turn the clock button clockwise which should reset the "service" indicator.

Excellent.

Now you will have to manually manage your service interval for the fixed regime (9,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first) calculating from the last service to ensure you maintain the full service history.

Resurrecting an old thread:

I've just had my first service at the dealers.

When I got it back, the service indicator was showing -- signs rather than time/distances.

I drove off thinking they'd pick up as I was driving but they didn't so I pressed the service reset button and now it's showing12,500 miles or 372 days rather than the 2 years 26,000 miles I'd expect immediately after a service.

Any idea how I can get it back to the longlife service interval without making a trip back to the dealer?

I don't think you can unless you have access to VCDS.

........... it's a virtue :laugh2

Think it would have to be reset again and make sure it is set to longlife rather than time and distance servicing which it could be now. It can take a few days for the next interval to appear after a service and the dash display goes to ---

cheers

My cali beach 2012 is running on long life type service, but since i serviced it las week I realised that the computer is now showing 12500miles / 365 days. The vw garage said there as no other options in the computer and this is how it is for cali beach. The service book is clearly showing that it should be set up on a 2 year max service interval. How to show them I am right and to get them to find a solution? Do you know if questions can be addressed to vw without going through the local garage?

What 's vcds?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

It's essentially a lead which when plugged into your Cali allows software on your laptop to 'talk' to the VW system built into the Van, it allows you to reset service lights, alter settings and scan your van for any issues.

It's another version of what the Dealers use when they service your van.

Ok, but why can't the vw garage change this setting? They tried (with their computer hooked up on my van) and eventually said it was not possible despite the service book providing the opposite information. Did Anyone had similare issue before?

VW diagnostic & programming software/interface. Can check for diagnostic problems, reset warning lights and re-programme certain ECU functions etc:

No matter what service regime you set the vehicle too it must have the same longlife oil in it regardless. Service light does not indicate that oil needs topping up.

Service interval on pre-facelift is 8,000-18,000 miles or two years.
Service interval on facelift is 8,000-25,000 miles or two years.

What was the date and mileage that it was serviced at last? Was the service light on when it went in?

Cheers

That's really helpful to know -

1) that they all have longlife oil irrespective of service regime
2) 25K on facelift - I thought 20K and couldn't understand why still > 20K! Mystery solved -thanks.

VW diagnostic & programming software/interface. Can check for diagnostic problems, reset warning lights and re-programme certain ECU functions etc:
Can you remind me of the ignition on ignition off three times procedure? I’m sure I remember doing that after I fitted dpf sensor.

Back