So the journey begins..

Loz

Loz

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hello and how do you do,

We (Mrs Loz and myself) currently have a VW Touareg that I use for overlanding with a maggiolina roof tent and convertible interior.

We live in Gloucestershire and like to go overlanding once or twice a year and go off camping on weekends in between.

We are starting our search tomorrow at the dealers for a new California to replace the Touareg.
Although the Touareg is extremely capable and very reliable, we no longer do the severe rock crawling and mud plugging that we have done in the past and find ourselves going on more moderate adventures around Morocco, Corsica, Sardinia etc so we have decided to change to the California and be more "ready to go" for weekends away.

We're looking at a 204BiT with 4motion with difflock and will have all terrain tires on our "overland wheels" having had quite a few gadgets on the Touareg we are also probably going to go for ACC, side assist and LED headlights.

In the past I have done various conversions to a Land Rover discovery, Land Cruiser Troop carrier and the Touareg. I was thinking of doing a transporter conversion but the options seem limited compared to going the whole hog and just getting an Ocean.

So we are off to the dealers tomorrow morning to have a look and get something ordered.

I'm well impressed with the forum, very busy and lots of helpful topics to read up on and the design and layout is very appealing.

I also own a Ross-Tech VCDS diagnostic should anyone nearby wish to use it.

Anyway, I'll let you know how we get on..

Welcome to the forum. More or less what I ordered at beginning or March. I'm in your neck of the woods down in Bristol. Moving from a Touran to a Cali.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Which Dealership are you planning to use?

Welcome to the forum. More or less what I ordered at beginning or March. I'm in your neck of the woods down in Bristol. Moving from a Touran to a Cali.
Thanks for the welcome, what is the delivery estimate on your order?

Heritage Bristol, I bought my Touareg from them, their Car showroom opposite.
Might be worth checking out South Hereford VW. They are very California knowledgeable and come recommended by many Forum members.:thumb

I am Glos (Cheltenham) and ended up at Listers Worcs - apart from getting the order wrong they were great

Thanks for the welcome, what is the delivery estimate on your order?
We are talking VW here so I don't like to think about it to much. My dealer at Heritage was Adrian and they have 2 other dealers Mark and a lady who I didn't deal with at all. Adrian is very straight to deal with. He checked the system when he ordered and reckoned 14 weeks and he knew it was not a deal breaker for us. Looking forward to getting it but not holding our breath. Both Adrian and Mark were very knowledgable.

Made 2 phone calls to them this week, neither Adrian or Mark appear to be there tomorrow only their female colleague who has two appointments and has so far not come back to us today to confirm whether or not she can "fit us in" so it looks like a trip up to South Hereford..

Made 2 phone calls to them this week, neither Adrian or Mark appear to be there tomorrow only their female colleague who has two appointments and has so far not come back to us today to confirm whether or not she can "fit us in" so it looks like a trip up to South Hereford..
Not surprised as they are pretty busy. Good luck tomorrow wherever you go. Most info on the T6 is now on this board and search function or a question should get you the answer.

Welcome , i previous owend a LR Defender with a Hannibal tent on top.
Sleeping in a Cali roof is a BIG upgrade:D

Hello and how do you do,

We (Mrs Loz and myself) currently have a VW Touareg that I use for overlanding with a maggiolina roof tent and convertible interior.

We live in Gloucestershire and like to go overlanding once or twice a year and go off camping on weekends in between.

We are starting our search tomorrow at the dealers for a new California to replace the Touareg.
Although the Touareg is extremely capable and very reliable, we no longer do the severe rock crawling and mud plugging that we have done in the past and find ourselves going on more moderate adventures around Morocco, Corsica, Sardinia etc so we have decided to change to the California and be more "ready to go" for weekends away.

We're looking at a 204BiT with 4motion with difflock and will have all terrain tires on our "overland wheels" having had quite a few gadgets on the Touareg we are also probably going to go for ACC, side assist and LED headlights.

In the past I have done various conversions to a Land Rover discovery, Land Cruiser Troop carrier and the Touareg. I was thinking of doing a transporter conversion but the options seem limited compared to going the whole hog and just getting an Ocean.

So we are off to the dealers tomorrow morning to have a look and get something ordered.

I'm well impressed with the forum, very busy and lots of helpful topics to read up on and the design and layout is very appealing.

I also own a Ross-Tech VCDS diagnostic should anyone nearby wish to use it.

Anyway, I'll let you know how we get on..
Welcome and good luck, as you say 'so the journey begins'! Any Q's shout up there is a lot of experienced owners on here who's brain you can pick!! ;)

Very impressed with the service received from South Hereford VW today..

Things I have learnt from our visit;
VW Configurator was down nationwide due to upgrade and addition of all the new transporter options available at the end of the month..
VW saying allow 5 months for a build and you won't be disappointed.
Build delays are due to a lack of stock of swivel seats.
Couldn't find diff lock or factory suspension lift on their pricing system so they are going to speak to the VW sales office and ask the factory Monday.
Boy that VAT hurts... (I wonder if it could be classed as a mobile office) :)

We are tempted with the dark blackberry metallic...

Spoke to the sales manager today, he is looking at the hard to configure options for us and mentioned that no orders can now be taken until 3rd May when the configurator come back online.
This is due to the new Transporter 2017 model coming onto the system.

Spoke to the sales manager today, he is looking at the hard to configure options for us and mentioned that no orders can now be taken until 3rd May when the configurator come back online.
This is due to the new Transporter 2017 model coming onto the system.

I've noticed in the German "Konfigurator" that the 4Motion, DSG is also available in the 150 and the 204.

I've noticed in the German "Konfigurator" that the 4Motion, DSG is also available in the 150 and the 204.

There's a lot of country specific options and variations.
The Coast version not being available in this country being the biggest.

Last edited:
Going back tomorrow to order (all being well)...

Going for;
Ocean 2.0L 204ps 4motion DSG
Metallic paint (Blackberry)
Alloy spare wheel
Composition media radio
App connect
Lockable storage compartment
Adaptive cruise control
Front and rear sensors with camera
LED front headlights
Hi Beam assist
17 in chassis with brakes
Awning and Rails in black
Heavy duty anti-roll bars
Mudflaps front and rear
Four remote folding keys
Privacy glass
Differential lock
Wheel arch protection
Bumper protection

Underbody protection and suspension lift kit not available?

Comments or suggestions?

Going back tomorrow to order (all being well)...

Going for;
Ocean 2.0L 204ps 4motion DSG
Metallic paint (Blackberry)
Alloy spare wheel
Composition media radio
App connect
Lockable storage compartment
Adaptive cruise control
Front and rear sensors with camera
LED front headlights
Hi Beam assist
17 in chassis with brakes
Awning and Rails in black
Heavy duty anti-roll bars
Mudflaps front and rear
Four remote folding keys
Privacy glass
Differential lock
Wheel arch protection
Bumper protection

Underbody protection and suspension lift kit not available?

Comments or suggestions?

Looks good.

Similar to what we'd be getting, except white, normal spare and no diff lock or protection.
You connecting Android or Apple?

Did you pay the new higher price?

App connect:
Connecting iPhone 6s or iPad Pro. Not sure it will get used with app connect until more apps are ready. I'll be mounting the iPad on the dash as we use motionX for off road navigation.

Price:
we have a quote so let's see what changes when we get it on the system with the final bits.

Did I say tomorrow, meant Saturday, getting excited...

You'll find the 17in chassis and brakes are standard for the 204ps dsg 4motion ocean.

I went for the servotronic steering option as I found the T5s I drove before ordering a
bit light at motorway speed. It definitely feels better to me.