Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limit in France

I don't know if you check speed vs gps, but most cars are 2mph off (below), so 3-4km off displayed speed. I'm pretty sure my VAG from 2009 was 2mph below displayed speed. The only car I had in Europe, which was almost correct, was Audi, displayed speed 74mph, actual 73.4mph.

Also, in France there are cameras flashing to check seatbelts, so it's not always about speed.

Look at it another way - you are in court and you tell the judge that you set your cruise a 112kmph on a road with a 110kmph limit? You have lost any defence.

At no point did I advocate speeding in any country.
Hmmm. You don’t think bragging about your ‘serious offendership’ without ever receiving a fine at your home address, carries a strong implicit message? People DO read between the lines…

On a similar vein. Watch out if you receive these official looking emails telling you have a traffic infraction and a payment is required. I got one of these a few weeks ago. I happened to be in France around that time but something seemed off like how did they get my email address. I checked the record number on the official ANTAI site and guess what no record. Gave me a bit of a start when I first opened the message.

1718627149364.jpeg

Hmmm. You don’t think bragging about your ‘serious offendership’ without ever receiving a fine at your home address, carries a strong implicit message? People DO read between the lines…
Read my posts and stop trying to make them into something it’s not.
you condescending Preacher

”Not proud, just the truth”

So, then it's OK? Really? :oops: Well, enough said, then.
Doing what you do best, seen It in So many other threads, you just keep doing it if it makes you feel better about yourself

I'm not sure that EU privacy laws would allow the crit sticker to share information with other agencies but I may be wrong; certainly the first time I ever received a fine was shortly after getting the sticker...

The French deduct 5% from the speed reading (or 5 kmh when limit is under 100 kmh), so the OP definitely didn't get flashed for that unless, as others have said, the camera interpreted his vehicle to be a speed limited camper. I expect that a person will look at the picture and see that it's a Cali and discard it before sending it out (assuming they had an address).

Look at it another way - you are in court and you tell the judge that you set your cruise a 112kmph on a road with a 110kmph limit? You have lost any defence.
I setup cruise to actual speed limit. It's speedo that's showing incorrect info. One of my cars has pretty poor calibration and I have to setup cruise to 114km/h to get actual speed of 110km/h.

Never got ticket abroad and only once in UK, so my system works ok.

I setup cruise to actual speed limit. It's speedo that's showing incorrect info. One of my cars has pretty poor calibration and I have to setup cruise to 114km/h to get actual speed of 110km/h.

Never got ticket abroad and only once in UK, so my system works ok.
My problem has always Been when approaching a village , unclear as to where the 30 kmph kicks in approaching at 50 kmph and looking to slow, then wham ? Never an issue when signposted but entering villages is the problem

Last edited:
I encountered something like this in Germany in 2019. Was 50 and suddenly there was repeater for 30 and cameras, but I didn't notice first 30 sign. Luckily, I never received postcard from police.

Germany introduced a lot of 30km/h zones in last few years. I was surprised last year, how many suddenly popped up.

Was it raining? Because in France, speed limits are reeled down when it is raining. 130 on the motorway tot 110, 110 to 90, 90 to 70.

[PREACH MODE]
@Perfectos, @sidepod : I just hate the type of posts that suggest 'do as you like, Woo Hoo all rules, because they won't know how to fine you'. Sorry.
Or setting your ACC too high, knowingly, and then complain about too little leeway when flashed... Come on!
Speed limits are there for a reason. You should adhere to them, ESPECIALLY when you are a guest somewhere. Grow up, be a gentleman, not a jerk.
[END OF PREACH MODE] :cool:
What a muppet. Wasn’t boasting, simply stating it’s not a big deal.
You’ve clearly assumed, for the purpose of your sad rant, I break the limit by 30 or 40 kph. Sorry to disappoint but it’s normally only a couple of kph. Anyway, glad you feel I’m a jerk. :cheers

Last edited:
Was it raining? Because in France, speed limits are reeled down when it is raining. 130 on the motorway tot 110, 110 to 90, 90 to 70.

[PREACH MODE]
@Perfectos, @sidepod : I just hate the type of posts that suggest 'do as you like, Woo Hoo all rules, because they won't know how to fine you'. Sorry.
Or setting your ACC too high, knowingly, and then complain about too little leeway when flashed... Come on!
Speed limits are there for a reason. You should adhere to them, ESPECIALLY when you are a guest somewhere. Grow up, be a gentleman, not a jerk.
[END OF PREACH MODE] :cool:
What level of rain changes the speed limit in France on the motorway? the odd speck, drizzle, persistent, torrential? I’m really not clear.

What level of rain changes the speed limit in France on the motorway? the odd speck, drizzle, persistent, torrential? I’m really not clear.
This assumes top end speeding , in reality your more likely to be caught in a “low” speed are particularly where speed changes dramatically over a relatively short distance (entering a village) which is very easy to fall foul of, even if you if you have an anticipation!

I got nailed earlier in the year.
Unfortunately driving a Swiss rental car just outside Chamonix. 5kph over the speed limit. The fine wasn’t much, I think around €30 euros. But the penalty off the Swiss rental car company for releasing my details…
€75.

Barstewards

My understanding is also that there is no agreement for DVLA to share details with other EU countries or vice versa unless maybe criminal laws have been broken. I can vouch for our van being flashed (husband driving!!) after one of those sudden limit changes and no letter arriving. We have Critair but I’d be very surprised if details could be shared for the purpose of speeding fines. I guess in a rental vehicle it would be different. Best to just try and not break the rules :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been done a few times on the same camera outside Chambéry where it drops from 110/130 to 90 in a short distance. Used to get me every time .

Only a couple of clicks over the limit though and the fine was reasonable (€10 & €20 I think). There’s an app to pay the fine ‘amendes.Gouv’. I didn’t mind, was my fault, the amount was proportionate and it was easy to settle.

Think some was pre and some was post brexit date in different Cali’s BUT same number plate so I’ve no idea if they’re still sharing data or not.

My understanding is also that there is no agreement for DVLA to share details with other EU countries or vice versa unless maybe criminal laws have been broken. I can vouch for our van being flashed (husband driving!!) after one of those sudden limit changes and no letter arriving. We have Critair but I’d be very surprised if details could be shared for the purpose of speeding fines. I guess in a rental vehicle it would be different. Best to just try and not break the rules :)

It’s always the sudden changes in limit that catches us brits out, I’m normally looking for the speed sign when I get done :headbang

Although I do find in Europe that when there is a sign saying speed camera there usually is one ahead - unlike UK where the signs are randomly put everywhere where a mobile camera can park!

Back