Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limit in France

I agree, but it does seem that vehicle drivers not only have to take responsibility for their own actions but also the actions of others, eg: illegal ebikes, bikes without lights, pedestrians not observing the Highway Code , cyclists ignoring red-lights etc.
Agreed. That has always been the MO of a police motorcycle advanced course. Always monitoring and accounting for actions of others. Defensive driving.

Interesting. Today we arrived in Germany around Mulhouse and there's a section of motorway restricted with a red circle and 3.5t in the middle.

This time there is 1600kg of caravan on the back.

Was I correct to give that section a miss?
Can you show the area on a map? I'm living close by. Mulhouse is in france though, do you mean the long straight that goes to Germany from the mulhouse area ?

Doing what you do best, seen It in So many other threads, you just keep doing it if it makes you feel better about yourself
For goodness sake, what are you, 12? You sound like a kid in a playground!

Can you show the area on a map? I'm living close by. Mulhouse is in france though, do you mean the long straight that goes to Germany from the mulhouse area ?
Too much travelling to remember. I *think* it might have been after crossing into Germany. A huge sweeping left hand curve on the motorway with the 3.5t limit on the central section. We followed the HGVs off to the right but in fact you didn't leave the motorway. Maybe it was a weak bridge and they built an extra one.

My question was whether the 3.5t was towcar derived or based on train weight of Cali plus caravan.

@WelshGas said it's only based on vehicle.

We decided to stay off motorways where possible on our last trip through France down to Spain. It has the advantage of getting you driving through lovely countryside and discovering all sorts of cultural gems. Our fuel bill and toll savings were significant. Several hundred pounds.

We decided to stay off motorways where possible on our last trip through France down to Spain. It has the advantage of getting you driving through lovely countryside and discovering all sorts of cultural gems. Our fuel bill and toll savings were significant. Several hundred pounds.
Yes, a completely different experience. Almost like a totally different country. Peage is always a distant second choice when I travel through France.

My question was whether the 3.5t was towcar derived or based on train weight of Cali plus caravan.

@WelshGas said it's only based on vehicle.

Max plated weight, applies to the max weight of tow vehicle (excluding the tow).

Below link explains the towing side - max train weight - in more detail:

Agree with not using Peage routes but it must have the 80kph speed limit plus most villages now having 30kph limits considered as they impact the travel time quite dramatically.

We did three fairly full-on days travelling from Lorient in Brittany to Lake Schluchsee in the Black Forest. The first day we stayed off the Toll roads completely. 280 miles in 8 hours of driving including half an hour for lunch.

Where we came unstuck was five miles before arriving at the Campsite in Blois when we had a blowout on the Caravan, on the dual carrriageway on the outskirts.

It took us an hour to change the wheel; Wrench was in the boot of the Cali which meant removing the electric bikes and emptying the boot to find it; Caravan spare buried under all kinds of stuff under the bed... Right beside a busy dual carriageway.

Then as soon as we arrived on site we set out looking for a Tyre repair place and then swapped the wheels over again. So a long days tow turned into a nightmare of a day.

Hence the next two days we took the easy (and expensive) way out and paid our Tolls.

Anyone interested in reading about our journey from Brittany, take a look here.

There's also a load of information about 10 years of touring around Europe with routes and campsites etc.

We did three fairly full-on days travelling from Lorient in Brittany to Lake Schluchsee in the Black Forest. The first day we stayed off the Toll roads completely. 280 miles in 8 hours of driving including half an hour for lunch.

Where we came unstuck was five miles before arriving at the Campsite in Blois when we had a blowout on the Caravan, on the dual carrriageway on the outskirts.

It took us an hour to change the wheel; Wrench was in the boot of the Cali which meant removing the electric bikes and emptying the boot to find it; Caravan spare buried under all kinds of stuff under the bed... Right beside a busy dual carriageway.

Then as soon as we arrived on site we set out looking for a Tyre repair place and then swapped the wheels over again. So a long days tow turned into a nightmare of a day.

Hence the next two days we took the easy (and expensive) way out and paid our Tolls.

Anyone interested in reading about our journey from Brittany, take a look here.

There's also a load of information about 10 years of touring around Europe with routes and campsites etc.
Sounds awful - frustrating and quite dangerous. Glad you got it sorted.
I like your blog - some good ideas I can steal…
Why do you tow a caravan behind your Cali, rather than a car? (I’m sure I’ll find the answer on your blog!)

Sounds awful - frustrating and quite dangerous. Glad you got it sorted.
I like your blog - some good ideas I can steal…
Why do you tow a caravan behind your Cali, rather than a car? (I’m sure I’ll find the answer on your blog!)
I'm not sure you will find the answer!! We wanted a new good diesel tow vehicle and the choice is shrinking rapidly.

The idea of the Cali was that as well as a good tug, we could use it for shorter trips which is a whole lot easier than dealing with the caravan.

And as a day van.

Also we tour mainly out of season so it's not cost prohibitive to abandon the caravan on site and disappear off grid for a few days. Longer than two or three days and it's not ideal without proper toilet and shower.

We are though hoping to try a month in the Cali solo in Northern Spain in September. But we will stay predominantly in decent campsites with full facilities!

Back