Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limit in France

So, that's OK??
How to make yourself look like the massive Jerk off you call others.
Get over yourself.
millions of speeding tickets are doled out across the world daily, very Few people aim to get a speeding ticket. No one has condoned speeding, the thread is regarding French speed limits, which are variable depending on weather conditions and are not what we in the U.K. are used to, particularly sudden changes in speed limit with little to no notice. It’s a cultrual thing the French have grown up with.
The French have some perculiar rules such a priority joining main roads from side roads, which older people have grown up doing , young people have not!

The high and mighty approach is not constructive in any way , calling members of the forum Jerks !

Who set you up as the moral police for speeding discussions. Your persistence just makes you look like a Troll…..

It about sums up your style or lack of it.

Last edited:
It is very easy to speed in a 30 or 50 by a few percent. Enough to get a ticket. Especially when you are on holiday and enjoying the scenery. I am sure very few of us set out to speed.

I live in Somerset and the roads are mainly 30 or 50. It is the slow drivers that drive me mad, doing 20 in a 30 and 40 in a 50 for no valid reason. Even worse those that just go at 40, be it a 30 or 50 limit.

It is very easy to speed in a 30 or 50 by a few percent. Enough to get a ticket. Especially when you are on holiday and enjoying the scenery. I am sure very few of us set out to speed.

I live in Somerset and the roads are mainly 30 or 50. It is the slow drivers that drive me mad, doing 20 in a 30 and 40 in a 50 for no valid reason. Even worse those that just go at 40, be it a 30 or 50 limit.
I call them 40 Fu****s

What level of rain changes the speed limit in France on the motorway? the odd speck, drizzle, persistent, torrential? I’m really not clear.
When I've being doing 110kms or slightly less in heavy rain, on many occasions over the years, I still get passed by French cars doing about 130kmh.

Just apply your own sensible approach to it as you definitely don't want to be involved in an accident when on holiday.

You have to bear in mind that the speed signs are the limit not an instruction to go that fast.

Mustr agree with the drivers that do 40/45 whether on the open road or in a built area being annoying. Only consolation being that it takes a while to catch up with them after a built up area.

You have to bear in mind that the speed signs are the limit not an instruction to go that fast.
When you take your motorbike test (and if I remember rightly - it was 30 years ago - your driving test) they want you moving up towards the speed limit, and not pootling at 50% of the speed limit. As you say, most get frustrated with drivers who pootle (and those idiots who ignore the limit by more than say 10%).

Don’t risk it in Switzerland :)
In the news yesterday. Might not get their expensive motors back!

“Police patrol units intercepted the offenders, who turned out to be tourists from the UK, near the municipality of Würenlos. They were reportedly driving at over 200 km/h, which is 80 km/h over the posted speed limit. The speeders, aged between 25 and 50, were arrested and their vehicles confiscated.”

BTW my Saphe speed camera warning device works in France (most of the time). Not expensive, so worth having in addition to the systems already in the Cali.

IMG_1729.jpeg

BTW my Saphe speed camera warning device works in France (most of the time). Not expensive, so worth having in addition to the systems already in the Cali.

View attachment 124912
Don‘t get caught with it, I believe using a warning device is illegal in France and some other European countries…

Inuse TomTom app.and in France cameras are called fsnger points or something similar.

Don‘t get caught with it, I believe using a warning device is illegal in France and some other European countries…
Thanks @colintfcolintf
Yes I’m aware of that. It’s very small and can be removed in an instant. Interestingly, Waze and Google Maps show Speed Cameras so in theory you could get nicked for using either in France. Unlikely though.

Thanks @colintfcolintf
Yes I’m aware of that. It’s very small and can be removed in an instant. Interestingly, Waze and Google Maps show Speed Cameras so in theory you could get nicked for using either in France. Unlikely though.
So does my Tom Tom, but you can turn that facility off.

I know someone who got caught speeding enroute to Le Mans a few years ago. Fined For speeding, and the device which was switched on warning of speed detectors removed from the car and destroyed in front of them….

Thanks @colintfcolintf Interestingly, Waze and Google Maps show Speed Cameras so in theory you could get nicked for using either in France. Unlikely though.

Most satnavs now alert you to Danger Zones around any potential danger, including cameras, but do not show an image of the camera on the screen when you are in France etc.

If I’m ever on Room 101, speed cameras and speed bumps are definitely going in :)
I rarely slip up on speed limits and use the limiter in the Cali very regularly. I’d like to see it automated in the future (with a manual override for safety reasons). In respect of traffic calming I favour single lane working chicanes and/or priority narrowing.

That is completely true, but why can't I force people to drive faster (the speed limit), but they can force me to drive too slowly?
If I see a speed limit sign, I will try to drive (if safely possible) that speed. Only on motorways I don't go faster than 110 km/h. All the other speeds I will try to match, because I hate it when other people do 5, 10 or more under the speed limit.

And I don't use camera warning tools, have driven over 20 years, over half a million kilomters, and have already had 3 speeding fines. All in Belgium. And the most of my kilometers I drive abroad, where I don't know the roads.

At the risk of removing the pin from the grenade here, where does the panel stand on 20mph limits?
Recently Oxfordshire rolled out a blanket 20mph limit in all villages. Don’t have an issue myself and always stick to on the basis I live in such a limit and hate those who ignore.

Thing is, all it’s achieved is a massive increase in the number of offenders as almost nobody is capable of adherence.

So, unless it’s rigidly enforced, what’s the point?

Personally I think it should be policed rigidly with a no excuse 6points. Repeat offenders £1000 fine and a ban.
We don’t need anymore chances like speed awareness courses, we’ve all done at least one. We can all read signs.

A great way to reduce traffic.

At the risk of removing the pin from the grenade here, where does the panel stand on 20mph limits?
Recently Oxfordshire rolled out a blanket 20mph limit in all villages. Don’t have an issue myself and always stick to on the basis I live in such a limit and hate those who ignore.

Thing is, all it’s achieved is a massive increase in the number of offenders as almost nobody is capable of adherence.

Personally I think it should be policed rigidly with a no excuse 6points. Repeat offenders £1000 fine and a ban.
We don’t need anymore chances like speed awareness courses, we’ve all done at least one. We can all read signs.

Same as any limit, depends if it's appropriate or not. I spend hours traversing London, middle of the day lucky to do 20mph, at 2 in the morning it's a pain.

The adaptive cruise set at 20mph is a real help, set it at 20, cover the brake pedal with the right foot & concentrate on looking around rather than staring at the speedo.

It would be far better if there was a proper incentive to do 20mph a carrot not a stick,- bring back the Slough synchronised traffic lights, stick to the speed limit & you could sail through multiple sets without stopping, go too fast & you ended up stopping at red lights.
To reduce pollution in London we need smooth flowing traffic not stop start & cars idling.

There’s a 20mph limit near Steventon (Oxon) that is a straight drop from a 50mph limit (no transition). To make it worse it starts immediately after a bend. Little chance for the unsuspecting motorist to slow down. It therefore demands dangerous braking - mad!!

Not against 20mph zones where appropriate.

It’s not really a question of the limit being appropriate, more why put it there if you’re not going to enforce it.

The tech exists to place small discrete cameras everywhere or black boxes in cars.

It’s a massive cash earner. Why don’t councils use it? The pot hole problem could be sorted overnight.

We don’t need anymore chances like speed awareness courses, we’ve all done at least one. We can all read signs
Speed awareness courses just introduce another cash cow layer, without serious consequences regards points, insurance etc. it's all about the money

Not all of us! 41 years driving and no speeding offences. To be fair none of my friends understand quite how? I do try and keep to the limits.

The speed awareness course used to be quite a deterrent. You had to take them within the area the offence took place. A friend of mine from Guildford got caught speeding in Scotland. That was a painful way to avoid the 3 points.

Same as any limit, depends if it's appropriate or not. I spend hours traversing London, middle of the day lucky to do 20mph, at 2 in the morning it's a pain.

The adaptive cruise set at 20mph is a real help, set it at 20, cover the brake pedal with the right foot & concentrate on looking around rather than staring at the speedo.

It would be far better if there was a proper incentive to do 20mph a carrot not a stick,- bring back the Slough synchronised traffic lights, stick to the speed limit & you could sail through multiple sets without stopping, go too fast & you ended up stopping at red lights.
To reduce pollution in London we need smooth flowing traffic not stop start & cars idling.
Unfortunately not all car brands have 20mph minimum cruise limits. Some have 25mph and it's tricky to keep below 20. I either start driving slower or faster.

And I think 20 and 30 in some places is ridiculous and it just slows traffic in negative way, without visible benefits. No pedestrians or driveways directly on the road.

100% correct.
You can have speed warning but not camera warning other that a zone to take care warning which pretty much matches the roadside warning signs.

Unfortunately not all car brands have 20mph minimum cruise limits.
I’m all in favour of 20mph limits in inner London. I feel slightly more comfortable letting my 14 year old cycle to school (on the back streets through low traffic neighbourhoods).
Luckily the Cali lets me set the ACC to 20mph which makes sticking to it simple, if frustrating sometimes.
30mph is appropriate on the main routes at midnight, but I don’t believe variable limits is an option yet.
The few police we have left are definately pulling speeders in London, I see it occasionally. Saw a van driver get pulled last week - he had his licence plates covered and he was speeding!
There are also cameras that enforce speed limits and red lights. I wonder if the newer ULEZ cameras also track speed.

Back