Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limit in France

Wales has a 20mph limit in all built up areas (but some are 30mph) but you must assume 20mph unless it’s 40mph! Genuinely, can be as confusing as that in many villages. I’m all for 20mph around hotspots - schools, shops, etc. but unless policed it can be pointless.

Wales has a 20mph limit in all built up areas (but some are 30mph) but you must assume 20mph unless it’s 40mph! Genuinely, can be as confusing as that in many villages. I’m all for 20mph around hotspots - schools, shops, etc. but unless policed it can be pointless.
Tell me about it.
I have to put up with this many times a week

Not all of us! 41 years driving and no speeding offences. To be fair none of my friends understand quite how? I do try and keep to the limits.

Towns and cities I’m a model citizen. Get me on a B road, dual carriage way or motorway and my moral compass goes out the window, I’m an utter knobhe4d.
Can’t believe I’ve got such a clean sheet…!!

Towns and cities I’m a model citizen. Get me on a B road, dual carriage way or motorway and my moral compass goes out the window, I’m an utter knobhe4d.
Can’t believe I’ve got such a clean sheet…!!
Watch it on the motorway as if you get caught as a "high speeder" (typically >90mph) you'll probably be prosecuted rather than being offered a fixed penalty, and for speeding on a motorway the statutory maximum fine goes up to £2,500 (on other roads it's £1,000).

Watch it on the motorway as if you get caught as a "high speeder" (typically >90mph) you'll probably be prosecuted rather than being offered a fixed penalty, and for speeding on a motorway the statutory maximum fine goes up to £2,500 (on other roads it's £1,000).

There was an interesting post on IG yesterday, where a guy got caught doing 89mph on a motorway.
Clearly, light traffic, dry and fine conditions.
Is it time for a motorway speed review…?
80/90 mph isn’t an issue for modern vehicles and the technology they have.

There was an interesting post on IG yesterday, where a guy got caught doing 89mph on a motorway.
Clearly, light traffic, dry and fine conditions.
Is it time for a motorway speed review…?
80/90 mph isn’t an issue for modern vehicles and the technology they have.
More likely to see speed limits reduced to control " emissions ". As on the M4 and A470 in South Wales, and this is not based on science but ideology.

More likely to see speed limits reduced to control " emissions ". As on the M4 and A470 in South Wales, and this is not based on science but ideology.
If everyone drove at 60mph on the motorway, it's likely emissions would substantially drop. There's an undeniable relationship between speed and fuel economy. You can also accommodate more vehicles in the same space of road at 60mph than at 80mph as assuming everyone keeps 3 seconds from the vehicle in front, you can have smaller physical gaps between vehicles, so potentially improve traffic flow too. This all falls apart of course if people try to nudge the speed limit, or drive substantially under it.

If everyone drove at 60mph on the motorway, it's likely emissions would substantially drop. There's an undeniable relationship between speed and fuel economy. You can also accommodate more vehicles in the same space of road at 60mph than at 80mph as assuming everyone keeps 3 seconds from the vehicle in front, you can have smaller physical gaps between vehicles, so potentially improve traffic flow too. This all falls apart of course if people try to nudge the speed limit, or drive substantially under it.
drove from Hook of Holland down to Cologne. Most of motorway in Holland was 100 kmh 60 mph speed limit. made a big improvement in mpg compared to sat at 70. also improved the estimated remaining Adblue range :)
in uk i still sit at 70 where possible though!

Last edited:
drove from Hook of Holland down to Cologne. Most of motorway in Holland was 100 kmh 60 mph. made a big improvement in mpg compared to sat at 70. also improved the estimated remaining Adblue range :)
All a balance. When I was trekking across France I generally sat at the 130kph limit as time was more valuable on that trip than a few extra quid in fuel, but in the UK where distances are generally less (on my trips at least) and trying to chase the speed limit can be a comparatively stressful experience, I often set the cruise at 60 or 65 and roll with it. The numbers reflect this; France, 37mpg, UK usually well over 40mpg and have managed above 50mpg a few times.

I'm old enough to remember when the US introduced its 55mph limit after the 1973 Yom Kippur war oil shock. The federal govt said vehicles would use 17% less fuel at 55 than at 75mph. Nationally obviously that would've added to to a sh1t-ton of oil per year. Don't know how that would translate to today's vehicles, probably less of a difference due to better aerodynamics etc.

drove from Hook of Holland down to Cologne. Most of motorway in Holland was 100 kmh 60 mph. made a big improvement in mpg compared to sat at 70. also improved the estimated remaining Adblue range :)
I miss the Dutch roads and thats speaking as someone living in Germany. I was also in the UK last week and the potholes are out of control, mostly holes that were poorly repaired and disintegrating. I don't envy you guys.

I'm old enough to remember when the US introduced its 55mph limit after the 1973 Yom Kippur war oil shock. The federal govt said vehicles would use 17% less fuel at 55 than at 75mph. Nationally obviously that would've added to to a sh1t-ton of oil per year. Don't know how that would translate to today's vehicles, probably less of a difference due to better aerodynamics etc.
Don't think those lard arse '70's American V8's could reach 75mph. Worse handling vehicles known to man.

Don't think those lard arse '70's American V8's could reach 75mph. Worse handling vehicles known to man.
I rented a Crown Vic on a US trip some years back, so I could feel like a state trooper or one of the MIB or something. It wafted along very agreeably and I seemed to be overtaking most other cars on the interstate. Google tells me it would have been about 200bhp and 1.7 tonnes which isn't too shabby compared with a lot of modern Euro boxes (or, ahem, a Cali o_O ). It made me smile anyway.

Could you imagine the carnage if they de-restricted the motorways in the UK?

That said it could be a good way to cull a lot of bad drivers?

Just let the chaos reign for a few months. Have a big old sweep up and carry on. Natural selection.

The fact is that the speed camera cannot always distinguish whether the car it is measuring is over or under 3.5 tonnes, so it therefore takes a picture of the car whose speed is over 90 km/h. In the subsequent case processing, the car is then sorted out if it is 3.5 tonnes.

Could you imagine the carnage if they de-restricted the motorways in the UK?

That said it could be a good way to cull a lot of bad drivers?

Just let the chaos reign for a few months. Have a big old sweep up and carry on. Natural selection.

With all the Smart-Motorway systems, it’s easily controlled.
I wouldn’t consider 85mph at quiet times particularly fast, in any modern vehicle.

The biggest stumbling block, is driver etiquette.
I do envy French and German motorway systems. Maybe it’s time for the tolls…

We're in Denmark at the moment, where people actually seem to stick to the speed limits. Seems weird - takes a bit of getting used to!

Just got flashed by a speed camera on a dual carriageway in France. Limit was signposted at 110km/h. Had ACC set at 112kmh and was tracking the camera on the app which described it as a "Vehicle Discriminating Speed Camera".

Am I missing something here, before I get a few more tickets?
If the limit is 110 why set ACC at 112?

The fact is that the speed camera cannot always distinguish whether the car it is measuring is over or under 3.5 tonnes, so it therefore takes a picture of the car whose speed is over 90 km/h. In the subsequent case processing, the car is then sorted out if it is 3.5 tonnes.
Interesting. Today we arrived in Germany around Mulhouse and there's a section of motorway restricted with a red circle and 3.5t in the middle.

This time there is 1600kg of caravan on the back.

Was I correct to give that section a miss?

Interesting. Today we arrived in Germany around Mulhouse and there's a section of motorway restricted with a red circle and 3.5t in the middle.

This time there is 1600kg of caravan on the back.

Was I correct to give that section a miss?
No.

We're in Denmark at the moment, where people actually seem to stick to the speed limits. Seems weird - takes a bit of getting used to!

We found the same when we went to Australia about 10 years ago. Speeding was viewed as being socially unacceptable (like drink driving) so most stuck to the limits. In the UK the attitude towards speeding is more if I don't get caught then i’ll risk it.

I miss the Dutch roads and thats speaking as someone living in Germany. I was also in the UK last week and the potholes are out of control, mostly holes that were poorly repaired and disintegrating. I don't envy you guys.

Most of our local potholes are as a result of various utility companies digging up the roads to lay new cables / pipes etc,, they are then not filled properly and then a pothole will delevop about 6 months later. The council then eventually perform an emergency repair at the tax payers expense in order to avoid compensation claims (which are also at the tax payers expense) - that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Whats needed is some legislation to force the utility companies to come back and fix any damage, or, just carry out the job properly in the first place.

With all the Smart-Motorway systems, it’s easily controlled.
I wouldn’t consider 85mph at quiet times particularly fast, in any modern vehicle.

The biggest stumbling block, is driver etiquette.
I do envy French and German motorway systems. Maybe it’s time for the tolls…

I once (7 years ago) had the pleasure of attending a speed awareness course which actually found quite interesting.

The bloke running the course explained that a motorway is generally the safest place to have an accident as the flow is in one direction with good visibility, barrier that will stop you from flipping and a hard shoulder to run out on (apart from smart motorways, depending on how fast the info is updated).

Issue is that your car might be well maintained, capable of stopping quickly…but the person behind might have an older car that can't stop as quickly, so if you hit the anchors hard they might well end up in your backend, so they have try to set a speed limit that suits all, or, have a variable limit that changes with the weather…but this costs a lot of a lot of £ to implement.

A-roads can be more dangerous as even under the speed limit…say 50 in a 60. If you hit a car coming the other way that's potentially a 100mph impact. Hence its important that cars are well maintained with tyres rotated to ensure deepest tread is on the rear (2wd), as its easier to control a front end slide as will go into the hedge rather than loosing the back end and spinning. Make sure that you don't fit seat covers that prevent side airbags from functioning correctly.

In 20/30 mph zones. If someone steps out from between parked cars and you hit / kill them. If its proved that you were exceeding the speed limit then the penalty can be very severe even though it wasn't your fault. Might lose your license, depending on your profession might lose your job…then you can't pay the mortgage etc.

Also said it was better to drive (manual) in a lower gear with higher revs in a built up area as your engine braking was far more efficient versus driving in a higher gear.

Most consider themselves as safe drivers, but you can't account for others on the road. We all all probably guilty of bending the rules from time to time…

Last edited:
I agree, but it does seem that vehicle drivers not only have to take responsibility for their own actions but also the actions of others, eg: illegal ebikes, bikes without lights, pedestrians not observing the Highway Code , cyclists ignoring red-lights etc.

Back