Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stalling my Cali

B

brother10

VIP Member
Hi,
Has anyone had problems stalling their Cali? It has happened to me about three times and my general recollection is that the engine has not yet fully warmed up. Coming up to a clear view junction, I have been in second (still moving slowly) and seeing my entry clear have pulled away only to stall. I have been able to restart quickly but of course the power steering is lost momentarily and I have to admit to a minor bit of panic. On the other side of the coin, when the negine is well warmed, I can pull away from a standstill in second without difficulty.

This new engine (140) versus my old 130 does seem to require a bit more work. Is it just me and do I perhaps need to readjust my driving style. Think I am more Mr Bean than Mr Button.

May I take this opportunity of wishing all Cali owners a great New Year and hard luck to the rest.

Bob

Hi Bob

I am not a mechanical expert & may stand corrected - but "Modern lightweight diesel engines do not have much torque at low revs"

We too have experienced your problem when we fail to keep the engine spinning. I compare to Landrovers & Toyotas of old that would pull away from stationary with no pressure at all on the accelerator without the need to slip the clutch.

Our Cali is a 180PS 4Motion manual & Linda drives a VW T5 2011 LWB Combi 140PS 4Motion manual & both require at least 2,000rpm to produce any usable torque.

I personally feel that modern lightweight diesel engines are best matched to an automatic transmission - but Linda disagrees!

Happy New Year

Paul

Our cali is the old 174 tiptronic so can't compare with that but i also have a 140 lwb panel van and have noticed similar engine charactreristics (i've also stalled it a few times!)
You get used to it eventually and change your driving style to suit.

Thank you gents and lady,

You have made me feel quite a bit better. Thought the DVLA might start hunting me down for my licence - though they will soon enough.

On a slightly different note, having driven the 75 miles from Fountains Abbey to home last Friday - you may recall the persistent precipitation? I was really pleased to be driving the Cali as opposed to my departed Mini Cooper. The big sweep of those wipers, the climatronic and those great seats and armrests - not exactly a breeze but a great vehicle to be in and feel confident and safe.

Let`s hope for a little less of the wet stuff in 2012. Expect to see a lot more of our magic machines on the road if what I read on here is true and I`m sure it is.

Very best wishes. Bob

Quite common with pre-facelift and facelift T5's, they don#t like pulling away in anything other really than 1st.

Cheers

Really relieved to read this, I thought it was down to my driving! I've also found that there is a flat spot when pulling away in 1st. It really needs a lot of revs and then half dies on me, before picking up again. I've got a 2005 130 hp model (chip tuned) but it's always done it even before the chip tuning. Anybody else got this?

We got caught out a few times in the early days (180, manual) - the previous vehicle was a 110 Defender that had "anti stall" and would crawl along. The Cali needs more revs for sure.

Andy said:
KernowLad said:
Andy said:
No problem on DSG !

Apart from needing to book your junction pull away a week in advance ;)
I'd rather that than risk stalling it

You adapt very quickly. I could never "adapt" to DSG as I can't stand it. :mrgreen:

You adapt very quickly. I could never "adapt" to DSG as I can't stand it. :mrgreen

I cant stand your digs as DSG but I dont keep mentioning it !

Kirk said:

You adapt very quickly. I could never "adapt" to DSG as I can't stand it. :mrgreen

I cant stand your digs as DSG but I dont keep mentioning it !

Maybe you don't but plenty of others consistently dig at manuals.
So fully justified IMO.

I have only been away for two months and he is still annoying people, he is also an Elite Member? WTF is that all about?

Can you please go away for another two?
It's been marvellous without you. I often doubt whether you even have a Cali.

For the others, this is a thread about issues a member has had with a MANUAL Cali. Nothing to do with DSG. Yet someone, as usual, spouted a load of nonsense about it which received a reply.

So as always happens, it's the DSG bores that "start it" not the manual box users.

Glad that's now cleared up.

So all of us with DSG are bores?

I thought this was a friendly forum?

:x
Kirk said:
So all of us with DSG are bores?

I thought this was a friendly forum?

Not at all. But the ones that constantly slate manuals are; there are a few.

For some unknown reason they usually seem to get away with it; dare to question them and the bores get all huffy.

It's been going on way before you joined.

Oh and some aren't here for friendly banter; they are here to troll. Usually they get spotted and banned but some just about get away with it; like Spanners. I presume the two month absence was a ban?

OMG....

Thank God I am leading a relaxed time here in Portugal at the moment and that crazy DSG box I have attached to my Cali is locked away out of mind and sight at Plymouth.....I drove through 22 countries with it over a 15 month period and loved the DSG although will admit it tends to get your heart beat up at 'T' junctions and Roundabouts......

Here's an idea; why not save DSG posts for DSG threads?

Well between now and the spring I am taking possession of a BMW branded House, Boat, and several BMW toilets fitted to them and guess what...?....I have listened and am having manual handles on all of them.

BerndRos said:
Well between now and the spring I am taking possession of a BMW branded House, Boat, and several BMW toilets fitted to them and guess what...?....I have listened and am having manual handles on all of them.

On that you'd be wrong because the latest BMW autos are faster, better on fuel and lower on emissions. I'm no Luddite, I just pick what I feel is the best option; manual on the van, 8 speed sport auto on the car.

Simple.

Back to the original subject...

Me as well......and tomorrow I hope I keep my license while I have a blast through rural Portugal in my V6 3 litre MANUAL that will wheel spin in the dry in 3rd....

At the other end I will take to my BMW branded surf board.....which OMG does not have a DSG mode...

BerndRos said:
Me as well......and tomorrow I hope I keep my license while I have a blast through rural Portugal in my V6 3 litre MANUAL that will wheel spin in the dry in 3rd....

At the other end I will take to my BMW branded surf board.....which OMG does not have a DSG mode...

How much wine have you drunk?

Found out !

Quite a bit actually as Portuguese wine is good.....but the blast up to Beja and back tomorrow will be fun in my car that has NO electronic aids or even power steering.

I guess he is now saying DSG owners are all alcoholics ?

Kernow, why don't you save up and buy a DSG, you will love it pal

Back