Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supermarket Fuel

Just from a mpg point of view, I have found no benefit from using the premium fuels in my old Discovery 2. It's mpg has improved marginally over the past 14 years as the engine has "loosened up". But there is no difference to mpg whatever fuel I have used.

Is it smoother or is it quieter with premium fuels? Impossible to say - it's a rattly old Land Rover engine!

Have I shortened the engine's life by using whatever diesel came to hand? Apparently not.

I don't regularly go hunting for cheap diesel (if ever) and I won't be going out of my way to find premium fuels either.

The Cali is clearly a different animal to the Disco. But I have seen nothing to persuade me that I need to change the habits of a lifetime.

How can people be getting 10% better fuel economy from premium?! No way is there 10% more energy in the same fuel with a bit of detergent added.

How can people be getting 10% better fuel economy from premium?! No way is there 10% more energy in the same fuel with a bit of detergent added.
nobody has any clue mate. all talk shite. one bloke thought he noticed a difference before he left the forecourt. no garage vw or otherwise has ever ever told me not to use supermarket fuel. vw don't say it do they? no they don't. if it was an issue when they are offering 3 year warranties I reckon they might have mentioned it somewhere

nobody has any clue mate. all talk shite. one bloke thought he noticed a difference before he left the forecourt. no garage vw or otherwise has ever ever told me not to use supermarket fuel. vw don't say it do they? no they don't. if it was an issue when they are offering 3 year warranties I reckon they might have mentioned it somewhere

Someone talking some sense at last

Below is from

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fuel/1...ing-more-for-premium-diesel-or-premium-petrol

Premium diesel
Because diesel engines don't ignite fuel to create power (fuel is added to the air that is compressed instead), premium diesel doesn't usually feature a higher octane rating. Instead, this more expensive super diesel will feature chemicals in its mixture that are designed to shift soot deposits and other oily build-up from within the engine's fuel system.

So why choose super fuels?
If you drive an ordinary mainstream car, then there's not much point in paying extra for premium fuels. Your car has been set up to work properly using standard petrol and diesel, and fuel companies have created their regular gas to work effectively in your engine.

However, if you drive a diesel car, there's no harm in running a tankful of super diesel through the engine every 1,000 miles or so. This should clear out any oily or sooty deposits from the engine and fuel system, and will help your car to be more efficient and economical when running on regular diesel, as the fuel system will be clearer. In the long run, paying an extra 5-10p per litre for super diesel every now and again could help to avoid costly future repairs if your diesel engine packs up.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And my point is:

Now that we have agreed that there is no proof, how can you be sure that "it's all marketing spin"?
It’s not ALL spin. There has to be a teeny weeny measurable benefit for a few percent of motors to make the claim. Lots of vague factless marketing on shells own site. http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-v-power/shell-v-power-diesel.html. Esso’s ain’t much better. At least they make a claim of upto 1.8% better economy after 4000km but on used cars that could just be running in and loosening up. https://www.esso.co.uk/diesel. Worth the best part of £10 extra a tank? 10% extra for 1% benefit IMO

Article is fine but with the complex nature of the 204 Diesel engine there is nothing in it to dissuade me that using a premium fuel isn’t a good plan. At the very least occasionally to help clean it.

In a bog standard non performance car it doesn’t seem worthwhile or if your running an older diesel that doesn’t have the complications of the latest ones.

Mike

There is no proof in this, until I see hard proof I will continue to use Tesco and Morrisons, Just think of all that money I am saving! 10p per litre does not sound much but times that by all the litres you use per year and I think that will pay for several weeks away.

I have a 5 year warranty and will sell just before it expires so any problems will be dealt with so why preserve the engine for the next owner?

There is no proof in this, until I see hard proof I will continue to use Tesco and Morrisons, Just think of all that money I am saving! 10p per litre does not sound much but times that by all the litres you use per year and I think that will pay for several weeks away.

I have a 5 year warranty and will sell just before it expires so any problems will be dealt with so why preserve the engine for the next owner?
exactly my point earlier. why would vw offer a 5 yr warranty on a 60 grand vehicle and say sod all about supermarket fuel?it bafflles me. if it was a problem surely they would say so . ? do you know why they don't day anything? because it's not an issue. the biggest problem with modern diesels is all the egr dpf bollocks fitted to the engine to save the dolphins or something. even though India and China don't seem to have any dolphins to save

at the end of the day. 23.59. no one knows do they. That's because it's bollox. where is the proof. where is the science. where is proof that cheaper diesel wrecked an engine.? if vw found out that you wrecked your 3000 pound engine filling up at Tesco surely they would be saying something to Mr tesco? but no. because it's bollocks. it's like buying heinze red sauce as opposed to daddies. tastes different. costs more but it still goes great on your chips

I didn't think anyone actually said that using standard diesel wrecked the engine. Just that the engine ran smoother and/or gave better fuel economy?

I never thought supermarket fuel was any different it never crossed my mind until
From my own experience I came to the conclusion it may of been the Tesco fuel that caused my problem????
or maybe just a big coincidence???
Like a few have said above it may be the same fuel...
I’ll still stick to esso and texaco
Would you top up your oil with a Tesco’s own brand oil????
or stick to a good quality one.
Eg one thats specific to the vw.

I tend to buy the branded oil, but I dont know why. There really are only 2 - 3 (or 2 now??) refinaries. All made by the same manufacturer. OK they may add some additives?? But to make something different in a refinery would be cost prohibitive for a basic product. Incidentally I do minimum 30,000 miles per year using the cheapest diesel avail (usually Tesco or Sainsbury) and only ever once had an issue which yes blocked a filter and the AA man was aware of the issue as he arrived... It was a single batch of fuel with debris in it.....

Sounds like there’s a few doubters on my 30 miles difference between standard and super juice FACT,this is how it it is I pick the car up full tank of standard fuel I o the odometer 200miles later I fill up with super juice 230 miles later I’m filling up again I always do empty to full it carried on doing same every fill up except when I had to use standard and the mileage dropped.I didn’t Keep the car long as was too heavy on fuel anyway.

Sounds like there’s a few doubters on my 30 miles difference between standard and super juice FACT,this is how it it is I pick the car up full tank of standard fuel I o the odometer 200miles later I fill up with super juice 230 miles later I’m filling up again I always do empty to full it carried on doing same every fill up except when I had to use standard and the mileage dropped.I didn’t Keep the car long as was too heavy on fuel anyway.

This is daft! So you did the comparison on the:
1. Same route
2. Same hills
3. Same pressure on the gas pedal
4. Same braking
5. Same trafiic situation
6. Same outside temperature

All the above factors can make a difference to MPG

This is daft! So you did the comparison on the:
1. Same route
2. Same hills
3. Same pressure on the gas pedal
4. Same braking
5. Same trafiic situation
6. Same outside temperature

All the above factors can make a difference to MPG
Also, as has been said in some of those articles SOME vehicle manufacturers do specify Premium fuels as the engines are tuned to them, particularly Petrol Engines, 98 as apposed to 95 octane fuels, so you would see a difference in that case.

I hear you billy no I haven’t done all your list i fill my motors up clock them to see what they do that’s where the story ends. I don’t do much social media but I do like these forums and this club as I get a lot of useful information about my t6. I’ll only comment when I think I can help which I have everything I’ve posted is my personal experience no science no formulas just how it is. I once borrowed my Toyota hi lux to a friend for a week he ran it on standard fuel I got it back could tell straight away more rattle less power less mpg. I trained as a mechanic for a few Years, city&gulids, a friend who trained with me as gone on to own a large garage he won’t run his Lexus on standard BP fuel as the car runs so poor 3 more miles and up a hill to the shell garage.

There have been some harsh posts on this topic. I fail to see why some folks cannot accept that some of us like to use "premium" diesel because we think the engine runs better and does a few more mpg. It may not be scientific but that's what we think. For myself, I do think the engine is noticeably smoother running when using the Shell premium diesel and I do get more miles from the tank.

There have been some harsh posts on this topic. I fail to see why some folks cannot accept that some of us like to use "premium" diesel because we think the engine runs better and does a few more mpg. It may not be scientific but that's what we think. For myself, I do think the engine is noticeably smoother running when using the Shell premium diesel and I do get more miles from the tank.
I haven't read every single post I got a bit bored when it went round in circles once or twice but it doesn't matter what anyone else says if you are happy with your choice.

Style of driving is the biggest factor in fuel consumption. I drive to Oxford and back, poor weather, so average speed much lower - steady 50-60 on the clear roads, MFD average for the journey 50.5mpg - highest I've seen. Fuel, Esso standard.

I haven't read every single post I got a bit bored when it went round in circles once or twice but it doesn't matter what anyone else says if you are happy with your choice.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, however I would like some independent research on the scientific basis for the claims made by the fuel companies, something which appear to be missing from most of the articles of the web.

Style of driving is the biggest factor in fuel consumption. I drive to Oxford and back, poor weather, so average speed much lower - steady 50-60 on the clear roads, MFD average for the journey 50.5mpg - highest I've seen. Fuel, Esso standard.

Going ever slightly off-topic,

I'm normally neither bothered about MPG or where the G comes from, other than general MFD comparisons. However now I am towing my Sister's caravan I am interested just so I know what to tell her it costs lugging her spare bedroom around.

In total contrast to the norm my "Brim to Brim" readings are showing the MFD to be conservative by around 5%, and that is making no allowance for the heater being on :shocked VW being on the right side of estimates for once!

I don't disagree with your sentiment, however I would like some independent research on the scientific basis for the claims made by the fuel companies, something which appear to be missing from most of the articles of the web.
I have first hand knowledge....
I buy standard fuel and my only prejudice stems from the fact I have a discount fuel card from the company I work for...
Even then it's the ordinary stuff I buy but I'm tied to the brand by the card.
I don't need any research to support my decision not to spend extra so you can tell what side of the fence i'm on. I was merely agreeing that if people are still happier buying the more expensive fuels for peace of mind then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I didn't think anyone actually said that using standard diesel wrecked the engine. Just that the engine ran smoother and/or gave better fuel economy?
and then they had a problem caused by the fuel. That's what they're saying

Back