Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California order nearly in - last minute option jitters!

Oh No Its Not ................. Oh Yes It is .... The VW Pantomime !!!!!!

Good choice, I like the green too. I believe Fresco green was available in the past but there weren't any greens available when we bought ours in 2014.

image.jpg

We're opting for Acapulco Blue and my youngest wants to call it Nemo.

Now that's why we choose VW's and put up with the crap. It's like having another pet in the family!!

The engines are all basically the same - just the level of tune differentiates them - and that weighs nothing at all. There is added weight for heftier ancillary stuff coping with the additional power. So for me the higher output is just vanity and too highly tuned / stressed for this type of heavy leisure vehicle - the 150 will be more than adequate - try one out
Far to many inaccuracies in this post. The engines are not the same, one example of this is one is single turbo and one is twin turbo. How can a higher output engine be more stressed on a heavy leisure vehicle?

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of support. Yes maybe we just ditch the tow bar and get a rack. May even get a rack at later date.
Tow bar electrics / loom are an expensive aftermarket upgrade. I think I paid about €1000 to have this retrofitted.

Also I'm not convinced the vw bike rack would be the highest part of the van, will have to take a look at mine but the awning I think is higher.

It,s a T5 check bottom grill and side indicator position
Dale I'm sure Mr Reserves knows its a T6....... Think he is just making the point the overall shape hasn't changed much .... Like many have said If it ain't broke don't fix it !! Hey Ho Looking forward to my T6.... Paul

Ok got it wrong. When not in use the VW bike rack sits within the 2m height, but not when in use as my son found out in Paris where he encountered an underpass/tunnel with a 2m height limit and remembered just in time that his Triatholon road bike was on the rack. Had to reverse back up the carriageway to the turn off. As I said previously, nothing wrong with the rack, just be aware of the limitations.:thumb

From experience, I would not bother with the Extra comfort mattress, for us it was rock solid, we use a Duvalay mattress

From experience, I would not bother with the Extra comfort mattress, for us it was rock solid, we use a Duvalay mattress
Oh dear. We have made the order now.

We have the VW mattress. No problem, but then we don't like a very soft mattress.

Oh dear. We have made the order now.
You can change your order at any point until the factory confirms a build date. This will probably be weeks / months away so don't stress if you need to change anything. I'm still making 'tweaks' and I ordered mine in August. It's a massive purchase so you've git to get it right!!

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Like you I ordered a week ago but am still agonising over some options. Probably going to go for a 204 DSG . I rented a 140 T5 last month and it struggled a bit on hills when fully loaded. I'm sure the 150 will be fine but the 204 will be better. My dealer will have both in stock in a couple of weeks so I'll test drive them both.

I'm going for a tow bar bike rack as I've already got the rack. Also a dealer told me a couple of weeks ago that the tailgate shape has changed so VW will have to redesign the bike rack and there is no date yet.

What about bi xenons ? I've got them on my car and love the pure white light they produce. But they are expensive so I guess it depends on how much night driving I will do.

I saw a Bamboo Green Caddy at my dealer. My wife thinks it looked green - I think it looked blue. I am tempted by the Mojave Beige. Looks classy in the pics. My dealer has one but I've only seen it in artificial lights so far when it looked more silver than gold. I need to go back and take a look in daylight. Has anyone else seen one in Mojave?

I've order the Mojave Beige. I described it to a friend as "Warm Silver" because to me it wasn't a really strong Biege and looked good in the natural light. These are from the VW Germany website and stupidly it looks two tone, but it isn't really. My problem now are the wheels because we don't the alloys as standard here :(
Devonport.jpg Cascavel.jpg Clayton.jpg Toluca.jpg

I bought a T5 ex demo last year 180 manual 4 motion with removable towbar, sat nav and I now have 16000 miles experience in it. What would I do next if I can afford a next ? ;) Pretty much what you've ordered I think. I've found 4 motion handy on about 3 occasions in north Scotland where I live but anywhere else I would be happy with 2 wheel drive/17 inch wheels/winter tyre change. I have auto car which I love but I've got used to and actually enjoyed the control of the manual in a heavier vehicle on winding hilly roads up here. Having said that I'd probably choose DSG next time to give it a go. Tow bar bike rack is great as weight and bikes low down. Atera rack for example tilts to allow some boot access with bikes on but not full access like say on a car so just have to leave full boot access for when you're pitched up. 180 bhp good but think I'd be ok with 150 next time and save some fuel and cash (get 38 mpg on mine by the way if you stick to 60-65 mph, drops off a chunk at 70 mph plus). Sat Nav jury out as mine didn't work to start with due to GPS aerial fault, handy now that it works. Not sure if I'd bother with anti-roll as I've never noticed much roll in T5 on testing terrain. Normal tint to me looked a bit peely wally (pale) but now that I'm used to it it's spot on for looking out and we just draw blinds for more privacy. I've got stealth midnight blue which I like but totally personal that one. You might not be too late to tweak but all in all looks a great spec. It's a lot of money but if you use it rather than looking at it in the drive it's totally worth it (sounds like you will use it to the full). We love the diesel heater after a wet walk/bike ride or in sub zero as it's an all year round vehicle and less problems if you keep a vehicle running. On extras I'm very happy with choice of Brandrup second skin covers, Comfortz mattress topper and mattress covers . Exchanged Comfortz topper for awning sides as never used the topper (and like the extra ventilation) but have used the sides at festival and longer than one night stays although in hot France it was awning only. Only issue we had with roof up was in Thurso during gale force blown rain on second weekend where in hindsight we should have kept roof down (!) and a wee bit water seeped in on the side facing the wind when the sides touched. All dried out next day very quickly. The roof of the Cali with vents open was the only place in France at end of June where we got a great sleep due to 35-39 degrees!

Becci has just told me this is the colour. It is a "bluey green" that can look more green depending on the light!
We are in the final throes of deciding a spec for a new Beach and, rather uninspired by the colours, we too seem to be settling on the bamboo garden green.
Our first choice was the acapulco blue but, the problem is that brochures, photos, lighting conditions and the device used to view pictures all give very different impressions of the colour so when we saw a Caddy at Preston in that colour we thought ît less striking than we imagined, so went off it.
We are now leaning towards the green, but we are trying to locate a vehicle in bamboo green to look at in the flesh.
If any members know of a dealer with one in, please let us know. We are in the Midlands, but, given the cost of the Beach, will have a run out just to be sure it's the right color.

We are in the final throes of deciding a spec for a new Beach and, rather uninspired by the colours, we too seem to be settling on the bamboo garden green.
Our first choice was the acapulco blue but, the problem is that brochures, photos, lighting conditions and the device used to view pictures all give very different impressions of the colour so when we saw a Caddy at Preston in that colour we thought ît less striking than we imagined, so went off it.
We are now leaning towards the green, but we are trying to locate a vehicle in bamboo green to look at in the flesh.
If any members know of a dealer with one in, please let us know. We are in the Midlands, but, given the cost of the Beach, will have a run out just to be sure it's the right color.
Parkway Leicester had a caddy in bamboo green a few weeks ago. I didn't like it - my other half did. Parkway have got an Ocean in Acapulco blue. We were going to go with Mojave beige but my wife and daughter changed their mind when they saw the Acapulco blue - so that's what we are having.

I saw a bamboo garden green in the showroom and found in realy a nice color.
Some pic. Here...
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...thernoon-at-ccn-amersfoort.11947/#post-116029

We have an order in for a bamboo green. Hopefully arrive in next few weeks in London so if you don't get chance to see one before then you are welcome to come and take a look.

Parkway Leicester had a caddy in bamboo green a few weeks ago. I didn't like it - my other half did. Parkway have got an Ocean in Acapulco blue. We were going to go with Mojave beige but my wife and daughter changed their mind when they saw the Acapulco blue - so that's what we are having.
Thanks, Leicester is not to far, I may give them a call to see if it's still there.

I think colour is very tough with the Cali because choices are so limited compared to the rest of the VW range, it seems. I started with silver, then went to white and now settled on Indium silver with the black interior on the T6 Beach. The result is that it should be smart, easily to resell, not look like a van and also not stand out on a hillside i.e. great for stealth camping. I would love to have been more adventurous, but felt this was the best balance for me.

FWIW I quite like the bamboo green and think it cuts a nice balance between 'not ordinary', smart and low-key in wild places. I thinks it goes better with the light interior on the Ocean/Beach (rather than Kutamo black on the Beach),but I wanted the dark interior so it kinda ruled it out. I also think grape yellow is pretty fab for those who are happy to stand out! Acapulco blue was 'nice' but I would rather it had been a stronger/richer blue, rather like the old Olympic blue. All personal, of course.

Back