Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean Under Unit Light mind of its own

Any updates on this one ? Trying to figure out at what point to approach the dealer with the reasonable hope they can fix it without pulling the kitchen apart.

We took ours to dealer but it has stopped doing it (for now) so leaving it be & when it happens again will go back to dealer.

Any updates on this one ? Trying to figure out at what point to approach the dealer with the reasonable hope they can fix it without pulling the kitchen apart.
See my post above, had problem with light doing its own thing but sorted by camberley service centre. No kitchen ripping apart as far as i know

Mine had a similar problem took it to breeze was a dodgy relay all fixed

The light that surrounds the kitchen unit at the top, seems to switch on even when’s it’s been switched off, it’s very dim but annoying if you are trying to sleep. Switching the light on and off seems to turn it off until it decides to switch on again which can be short or long periods (all night before it does again). Last month it was doing it constantly and would not switch off whatever I did, now it’s more intermittent. Itcould drain the battery if I don’t keep checking it when the van is not in use. The other day I looked and it had used 40% of the battery over a week or so. Anyone had issues with this light and what a fix might be

The light that surrounds the kitchen unit at the top, seems to switch on even when’s it’s been switched off, it’s very dim but annoying if you are trying to sleep. Switching the light on and off seems to turn it off until it decides to switch on again which can be short or long periods (all night before it does again). Last month it was doing it constantly and would not switch off whatever I did, now it’s more intermittent. Itcould drain the battery if I don’t keep checking it when the van is not in use. The other day I looked and it had used 40% of the battery over a week or so. Anyone had issues with this light and what a fix might be
Take it to a recognised vw repairer, its now a known fault with a recognised repair, free under warranty but about a days work if not. Involves some wiring changes and i believe a relay under the fridge is involved.
There are other threads on this issue, just search under counter lights

Don’t take it to VW Breeze Poole. The person who knew how to fix there it has now left, and a couple of us have wasted a lot of time and still have malfunctioning lights.

Took it in to dealer today, along with a video of the symptoms and links to this forum.
They are replacing the light itself and the relay which involves taking the kitchen out.

What years / months are we talking bout here in general - 2019 -? early, mid, late ?

Took it in to dealer today, along with a video of the symptoms and links to this forum.
They are replacing the light itself and the relay which involves taking the kitchen out.
Replacing the relay (under the fridge?) doesn’t involve having the kitchen taken out. I had mine done on Saturday. The light doesn’t need replacing either if you are having issues with the light coming on, on it’s own?
The solution is to swap the power feed for the light from the engine to leisure batts as well as changing the relay under the fridge.
I had my relay done, but not the power feed, dealer wouldn’t listen, so now the vanity mirror light in the sun visor switches the under sink light on....Still not fixed properly.
Dealers, hard work.

Is there a dealer out there that anyone has found knows the right fix for this ? If so which ones are they and can’t they tell the others

Is there a dealer out there that anyone has found knows the right fix for this ? If so which ones are they and can’t they tell the others
Dealerships are independent businesses, so outside their group, No. It would be upto VW or VWUK to issue such information.
Could check with VWUK Customer Service if such information has been formulated and released and ask for the Reference Number and then go forearmed to the Dealer.

Has anyone had a dealer successfully fix the issue ?

I have asked the dealer again about this, and helpfully they have provided more detail on what VW have said :

"The attached document explains the importance of an accurate portal profile. No known concerns.
We cannot comment on non-approved VWCV websites (this one). No known concerns with kitchen lights operating like this. Is the lighting you are referring to listed as W 121 in the Elsa CFD's. If it is then suggesting check this out and the J73 - Light control relay, in cupboard, front, top, this is powered direct to the SH 16 30-amp +30 fuse"

Dealer adds : So now the lead Tech has said that he needs to find the relay for the J73 - Light control. Also, VW have said this is not guaranteed it will solve the problem... Did you still want us to carry out the work and remove the kitchen?

So in summary, looks like there's no specific technical bulletin on this issue and dealers are left guessing largely. Some may have solved it but they don't talk to each-other, they talk to VW.

I have asked the dealer again about this, and helpfully they have provided more detail on what VW have said :

"The attached document explains the importance of an accurate portal profile. No known concerns.
We cannot comment on non-approved VWCV websites (this one). No known concerns with kitchen lights operating like this. Is the lighting you are referring to listed as W 121 in the Elsa CFD's. If it is then suggesting check this out and the J73 - Light control relay, in cupboard, front, top, this is powered direct to the SH 16 30-amp +30 fuse"

Dealer adds : So now the lead Tech has said that he needs to find the relay for the J73 - Light control. Also, VW have said this is not guaranteed it will solve the problem... Did you still want us to carry out the work and remove the kitchen?

So in summary, looks like there's no specific technical bulletin on this issue and dealers are left guessing largely. Some may have solved it but they don't talk to each-other, they talk to VW.
I had a relay under the fridge replaced previously by one dealer, it worked for a few months, and then failed again. Upon taking it to another dealer (Breeze Poole), it became clear in conversation that they had absolutely no idea what they were doing with respect to this problem. They had my van for 4 days in total without even being able to work out that the light worked normally in driving mode.
The numerous electrical problems on these vans, combined with the lack of dealer expertise in diagnosing and rectifying them becoming a major problem.

I've asked for the relays to be changed, then the switch (their idea) and then the light itself. I'll give the relay change a chance to fix it before the other steps.

Seen camberley VWCV have fixed a few in here successfully. Sounds like they know what they are doing.

Having thought about this a bit more, it would seem the fault is in the relays. Why ?

Well originally the living area lights were all based on camping mode, so feed off the leisure battery and simple on/off.

The driving courtesy lights all work of the engine battery (as per a Caravelle/Transporter etc) and switch on when doors or glove boxes are opened etc.

The T6 kitchen LED downlighting straddles the two. In camping mode it should behave like any other living area light and in driving mode it should behave like a courtesy light. So the relays have to handle that mode switch and if there's a problem it's likely be that and not the light or the switch.

If it's a design flaw it's a bit odd why it only affect some vans though, unless it's much wider problem but people haven't realised. Presume it's the same design in the 6.1.

Our’s is a late 2017 T6 Ocean
Bit all over the place in years it would appear - make an interesting poll to see the actual spread of the years ( vehicle year, year fault first happened, attempts to fix , year fixed , outstanding fix ). Might take a look later if I can get some time

So if it’s connected to the engine battery, does that mean if it stays on it will flatten engine battery ? I ask as mine is always switching on at random times and my battery went flat the other day, could not see anything I had left on, might have done though, but was confused at the time what caused it. Even so whatever battery it’s connected to it will flatten it if the van is not driven for a few days.

I can't remember what they decided was the fault for my 2017 T6 but, they changed the feed and put it through a spare fuse under the seat. I'll dig out the paperwork for a slightly more thorough explanation when I can.

So if it’s connected to the engine battery, does that mean if it stays on it will flatten engine battery ? I ask as mine is always switching on at random times and my battery went flat the other day, could not see anything I had left on, might have done though, but was confused at the time what caused it. Even so whatever battery it’s connected to it will flatten it if the van is not driven for a few days.
I can't remember what they decided was the fault for my 2017 T6 but, they changed the feed and put it through a spare fuse under the seat. I'll dig out the paperwork for a slightly more thorough explanation when I can.
Where did you get it fixed?