Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 suspension upgrade

Del Boy

Del Boy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
once loaded up for our last trip to Europe, found the van handled like a bar of soap . Have looked into suspension options , to stiffen up the van on corners - roundabouts . Our van is a 204 4 motion with heavy duty anti roll bars

Is this a question or a statement?

Sorry, was supposed to ask for any advice from anyone else who has similar problems

I have a question. VW lowering to keep warranty safe is 30mm or for me
1 3/16th inch. I'm presuming all that gets changed are the 4 springs so how long are the standard ones. Just to give an idea of the difference.
I know nothing about lowering a vehicle

Mike

Hmm! Stopped being lazy and a proper look at the front springs answers my question. I will measure them later. I can now see looking at the wheel under the arch that 30mm makes quite a difference, looks wise.

Mike

Lowering at the rear will increase static negative camber and toe-in and as such, increase tyre wear (inside edge).

Thanks Sidepod. As a result of your post I did some searching and read enough to know that I simply don't know enough to think about changing anything from the standard. It's more a case of wanting to know the options at this stage rather than a desire to change, especially as it would be on my 4Motion when I get it. I'm getting the sidebars as part of the compensation package and lowering is also an option. I personally will not go for it if there are any adverse effects.

Mike

Well it's not necessarily a reason not to do it. Everything is a compromise. You may loose out a little on tyre wear but you'll gain a little in the handling dept.

Every vehicle has a design ride height where everything is optimised and pointing in the right direction.
Stray from these settings and somethings end up worse, some things improved.

Lowering at the rear will increase static negative camber and toe-in and as such, increase tyre wear (inside edge).

Well it will but only very slightly as the rear suspension is a swinging arm. The arm pivot is however very slightly offset from perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the van which causes it makes more negative camber if lowered. On our van with air suspension the camber change isn't noticable to the naked eye with the height variation, no doubt would be if measured correctly.
I think it's more likely to make a bigger difference at the front where the suspension set up is different.
Just for info, it isn't possible to alter the camber angle on the rear by adjustment as its fixed. The tracking can be altered by a cam arrangment on the arm fixings.

If lowering isn't your thing then I'll throw this into the pot. Having spent some time on the German Cali forums I found much discussion into the ocean/beach rear sag & soft rear end (especially when loaded for a trip) for both T5/T6 variants.
This led into pages of analysis into the crazy array of factory VW spring options applicable to all the various van types/chasis/loadings and the conclusion is to fit the 4xgrey set in the rear end, (vw partno in pic below). This not only (optically) levels things up but gives the van a taughter ride, with an improved spring travel to take out the bumps. It definitely reads that everyone who made this change was pleased with the results.
4xgrey equates to the slightly longer and heavier duty rear springs as fitted to the T5 T32 workhorse model.
Practically new sets can be found on eBay for small monies as plenty of folk swap them out for lowered springs. (The 3xgrey are also suitable and fitted to T32 as well).

You've already got the uprated rear ARB so just doing these springs may be enough of an improvement on their own. The next benefit would be to upgrade the rear shocks. Bilstein B6s are probably the top choice but a more affordable alternative might be the SACHS 'super touring' rear shocks (part no. 314725), these can be bought for under £100 for the pair and are again designed to work with the heavy duty suspension. For what it's worth the SACHS super touring shocks for the T4 are pretty much considered as good as, if not better, than the Bilsteins.

As the only change here is at the rear end it's all straightforward labour wise (either DIY or shop) though the 4motion is more hassle with the driveshafts not allowing the hubs to drop low enough to release the springs.

I have a new beach on order and a set ot T32 springs blocking up our hallway so will report back findings sometime down the line when it makes it out of Hanover.
Cheers, Will

IMG_2146.jpg IMG_2148.jpg

Last edited:
If the front end is anything like a T4 then it will have camper plates allowing adjustment?

If lowering isn't your thing then I'll throw this into the pot. Having spent some time on the German Cali forums I found much discussion into the ocean/beach rear sag & soft rear end (especially when loaded for a trip) for both T5/T6 variants.
This led into pages of analysis into the crazy array of factory VW spring options applicable to all the various van types/chasis/loadings and the conclusion is to fit the 4xgrey set in the rear end, (vw partno in pic below). This not only (optically) levels things up but gives the van a taughter ride, with an improved spring travel to take out the bumps. It definitely reads that everyone who made this change was pleased with the results.
4xgrey equates to the slightly longer and heavier duty rear springs as fitted to the T5 T32 workhorse model.
Practically new sets can be found on eBay for small monies as plenty of folk swap them out for lowered springs. (The 3xgrey are also suitable and fitted to T32 as well).

You've already got the uprated rear ARB so just doing these springs may be enough of an improvement on their own. The next benefit would be to upgrade the rear shocks. Bilstein B6s are probably the top choice but a more affordable alternative might be the SACHS 'super touring' rear shocks (part no. 314725), these can be bought for under £100 for the pair and are again designed to work with the heavy duty suspension. For what it's worth the SACHS super touring shocks for the T4 are pretty much considered as good as, if not better, than the Bilsteins.

As the only change here is at the rear end it's all straightforward labour wise (either DIY or shop) though the 4motion is more hassle with the driveshafts not allowing the hubs to drop low enough to release the springs.

I have a new beach on order and a set ot T32 springs blocking up our hallway so will report back findings sometime down the line when it makes it out of Hanover.
Cheers, Will

Many thanks @WillSS and for the other informative contributions. I certainly know a great deal more than I did at the start of this thread.

NB: Hopefully your hallway will not be clogged for long.

Mike

Last edited:
once loaded up for our last trip to Europe, found the van handled like a bar of soap . Have looked into suspension options , to stiffen up the van on corners - roundabouts . Our van is a 204 4 motion with heavy duty anti roll bars
Hi Del Boy, I had my 4 motion van lowered 30mm and fitted H&R anti roll bars, handles really well around bends

@WillSS thanks for that very useful post! I've now ended up on caliboard.de reading lots of new interesting stuff :) Although I'm at the mercy of Google Translate!

Do you know if the Ocean and Beach have different suspension out of the factory?

The effect is dictated by what vehicle you are coming from or are used to. If you drive a road hugging sportster then driving the California seems wayward. I come from an XC60 and I have the HD anti-roll bars and it feels better, maybe even better than the XC60. :thumb

Last van was one I built myself from my ex work t32 we used it for 3 years all over Europe, went round corners on rails. To be fair I'm a bit disappointed with the way the Cali handles loaded or unloaded. Not trying to make it a sports car at 3 tonnes. Thanks to everyone for some useful advice

Just had the VW (Eibach) lowering springs fitted to my T5 with SMG Cowfold.

Cornering is MUCH better, the ride is ever so slightly harder, but not a problem at all. No more leaning over at roundabouts.

Looks great too!

Wish i'd done it sooner :)

Just had the VW (Eibach) lowering springs fitted to my T5 with SMG Cowfold.

Cornering is MUCH better, the ride is ever so slightly harder, but not a problem at all. No more leaning over at roundabouts.

Looks great too!

Wish i'd done it sooner :)

Reserves,

Do you mind me asking how much this cost?

Cheers,

Haw

£406 all in

Warranty still in tact too :)

Will upload photos of before and after when I get a chance
Thank you...

Would like too see the photos of before and after..

£406 all in

Warranty still in tact too :)

We lost a spring a year or so ago and I opted for the factory lower springs, replacing all round at the New MK Curries VW Van dealership (a different world from Wayside). No more wallowing around corners and very happy with the result.

Did you have the T32 rear springs fitted? Or do you not have a saggy rear ? :embarrased

Hi reserves , sounds like your lowering springs have given the van a new lease of life . I take it your eibach springs are what VW offer as a lowering option and was that the price fitted ? Thanks for the feedback

Hi reserves , sounds like your lowering springs have given the van a new lease of life . I take it your eibach springs are what VW offer as a lowering option and was that the price fitted ? Thanks for the feedback

Hey,

Yes, the Eibach ones are the official 'VW' ones, so they have a VW part number and the warranty remains in tack.

Yes, the £406 price was for VIP's and included fitting.

Haven't driven the Cali much, but straight away I could tell it was worth it.

It is a bit more bumpy, but not so bad at all, and it recovers from bumps way quicker, so you bounce a little more but for less time.

Recommended.