Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 suspension upgrade

So, the Sachs HD have arrived and replaced. Will start with springs today. Found a tip where you use a bottle jack to lower the suspension arms enough so the spring can be removed.
i-gHZs6wJ-X4.jpg

Will replace the brake discs as well soon:
i-fQB64g6-X4.jpg

And here we are, changed springs, roll bar and sachs dampers. It really changed this van to be something much better to drive. A bit of a hassle since it is 4 motion but could be done at my drive with few tools. Thank you @WillSS for the great pointers. I followed all three advices.

And here we are, changed springs, roll bar and sachs dampers. It really changed this van to be something much better to drive. A bit of a hassle since it is 4 motion but could be done at my drive with few tools. Thank you @WillSS for the great pointers. I followed all three advices.
Hi, just picking up on this thread as I embark on the same route to improved suspension as yourself. Are you still pleased with the outcome? You say there were extra difficulties fitting the springs because of the 4 Motion, what were they? Did just require more fiddling and pushing down the swinging arms or did you have to disconnect the rear drive shafts.

regards

Hi, just picking up on this thread as I embark on the same route to improved suspension as yourself. Are you still pleased with the outcome? You say there were extra difficulties fitting the springs because of the 4 Motion, what were they? Did just require more fiddling and pushing down the swinging arms or did you have to disconnect the rear drive shafts.

regards
Having the rear driveshafts doesn’t help dropping the hubs enough to release the springs. Sounds like @kave didn’t need to disconnect the driveshafts but used a small bottle jack to help lever the hubs down.

Doing the springs/ARB/shocks as above will significantly improve your handling characteristics whilst retaining full ride height. If you’ve done some miles then you’ll also want new rubber mounts for the rear springs. TransporterHQ sell some Heavy duty options as well as genuine.
Another suggestion which wasn’t an option at the beginning of this thread is to consider the Koni Special Active shocks over the Sachs. Plenty of positive information about these on other threads and work with the standard length suspension. Downside is they are more pricey.(DCPerformance.co.uk are often worth a look for best prices)

For info pic details Part nos for a standard height Cali (incl 4M)

4A49A7DB-5692-4A74-8329-11431B484869.jpeg

Having the rear driveshafts doesn’t help dropping the hubs enough to release the springs. Sounds like @kave didn’t need to disconnect the driveshafts but used a small bottle jack to help lever the hubs down.

Doing the springs/ARB/shocks as above will significantly improve your handling characteristics whilst retaining full ride height. If you’ve done some miles then you’ll also want new rubber mounts for the rear springs. TransporterHQ sell some Heavy duty options as well as genuine.
Another suggestion which wasn’t an option at the beginning of this thread is to consider the Koni Special Active shocks over the Sachs. Plenty of positive information about these on other threads and work with the standard length suspension. Downside is they are more pricey.(DCPerformance.co.uk are often worth a look for best prices)

For info pic details Part nos for a standard height Cali (incl 4M)

View attachment 104118

That's great information thanks, I'm already committed to a Sachs set up but Im sure the results will be similar. Hope to install next weekend .

More for anyone else looking at this thread in the future. I had the Koni Special Active fitted to my Beach last week. Only done ~ 40miles since but impressed with the improved ride quality. Especially over broken tarmac where the high frequency impacts are dealt with with less crashing. Its a very noticeable improvement.
I had (years ago) changed the springs to -40mm H&R with higher rated rear springs. So the Special Active work with both standard and lowered (a bit) suspension.

Great thread!

I’ve revived another thread with similar questions.
Today sachs HD + t32 rear springs ?
Or special active Koni with stock springs?
I’d like to not spend a fortune yet feel more connected to the road without feeling like my old lowered mk2 golf :)

T6 ocean 2wd 2016 90,000miles stock suspension, wallowy.

Thank you in advance!

Tom

I too had the Koni special actives fitted within 1 year on a 2019 ocean, along with H&R Arbs and the controversial washer to uplift the back very slightly. At a cost of about £1300 from CRS.
I have never regretted one penny
Completely sorted out the wallowy feel, much more planted on the road, and into roundabouts, no understeer and even feels “Safe” on motorways now
It’s a joy to drive now, not sure which of the upgrades had the most effect but recommend a chat with CRS versus what your issues are
Really great people