Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taxation class change !!! Correct ???

C

clattergate

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I had a T5 California which was taxation class PLG private light goods this makes a massive difference on the 2017 onwards models as the tax is now £450 a year as opposed to £255 I do seem to remember in 2009 there was a change made because it was classed as a motor caravan which the new T6 are still classed as..... should we challenge this with DVLA as a group

I think the Transporter is classed as PLG and has to have a certain ratio of goods carrying space that we won't qualify for.
Also I wouldn't want my speed limits dropped from 60>50 on A roads and 70>60 on dual carriageways.

My 2014 Transporter Kombi is classed as LGV - light goods vehicle. It is the vehicle category which reduces my speed limits by 10mph. They are all now classed as N1, although previously you get Kombi's classed as M1. I tried to get mine changed to M1 and despite jumping through many hoops set by DVLA it still wasn't achievable.

It's the luxury car premium (over £40k I think) so it's £450 for 4 or 5 years then drops to £140 ish. These figures are from memory but the idea is correct. It's well discussed on previous threads.

Our 2010 is classified as PLG. Didn’t realise that different speed limits applied:Nailbiting Will have to reduce the pressure applied by the right foot.

Our 2010 is classified as PLG. Didn’t realise that different speed limits applied:Nailbiting Will have to reduce the pressure applied by the right foot.
Check on your V5c Registration Document.
M1 Class then standard speed limits.
N1 Class then commercial speed limits, 50 on A roads, 60 on Dual carriageways.

It's the luxury car premium (over £40k I think) so it's £450 for 4 or 5 years then drops to £140 ish. These figures are from memory but the idea is correct. It's well discussed on previous threads.
No forgetting the £1450 road Tax charge for the first year.

Check on your V5c Registration Document.
M1 Class then standard speed limits.
N1 Class then commercial speed limits, 50 on A roads, 60 on Dual carriageways.
Hi Welsh Gas
Just had a look on my V5c and couldn’t see anything stating M1 or N1class
Just PLG taxation class

Alan

Alan, is your vehicle pre April 2017?

I had a T5 California which was taxation class PLG private light goods this makes a massive difference on the 2017 onwards models as the tax is now £450 a year as opposed to £255 I do seem to remember in 2009 there was a change made because it was classed as a motor caravan which the new T6 are still classed as..... should we challenge this with DVLA as a group

The 2009 change was because VW decided to do the emissions testing on the converted vehicle. At that time an SE was charged at the £250 as a motor home & a 4motion beach was taxed at something like £455 the same as a caravelle

Most other campers / motorhomes are on the flat rate tax as it is assumed that any testing that has been done was on the base vehicle & it has now been converted so the emissions are known to be wrong. The flat rate £255 is a rate that all unknown vehicles under 3.5 tonnes fall into - kit cars , conversions & foreign imports all get charged at this.

The £450 a year is only for 5 years & is actually £140 tax + 350/ yr penalty for being a high value vehicle. in 6 years time the rate will drop to just the £140 or whatever the rate has increased to by then.

non commercial does that mean i can park on housing estates?

Guess it’s because it’s pre 17 as mine is

Alan
My 2014 is M1. Euro Status not available according to the DVLA website.
399E4A13-94CF-4D9C-A734-FD054F1D4635.jpeg

The 2009 change was because VW decided to do the emissions testing on the converted vehicle. At that time an SE was charged at the £250 as a motor home & a 4motion beach was taxed at something like £455 the same as a caravelle

Most other campers / motorhomes are on the flat rate tax as it is assumed that any testing that has been done was on the base vehicle & it has now been converted so the emissions are known to be wrong. The flat rate £255 is a rate that all unknown vehicles under 3.5 tonnes fall into - kit cars , conversions & foreign imports all get charged at this.

The £450 a year is only for 5 years & is actually £140 tax + 350/ yr penalty for being a high value vehicle. in 6 years time the rate will drop to just the £140 or whatever the rate has increased to by then.
The whole system is a farce, I noticed on the sale receipt that the road tax was £230 on my 150 dsg in late 2016, I pointed out to the salesman that the correct fee should be £185 as stated on the brochure (none of this over £40000 fees etc all those years ago!). He changed it and I paid the correct fee for a diesel car.
He of course was registering the Cali as a PLG instead of the, for a very short time, cheaper diesel car. Presumably the taxation authority would just accept either description, bizarre.

Last edited:
I have just renewed the tax on my 2008 Cali, it was £315.00, is that correct?

Having researched speed limits extensively when we had a van conversion, the M1 / N1 distinction does not apply if the vehicle is classified as a motor caravan. All motor caravans can do car speeds. M1 / N1 only effects the tax cost. That said I imagine all Calis are M1 from the factory.

I have just renewed the tax on my 2008 Cali, it was £315.00, is that correct?

My 2008 Cali is PLG and £255 for 12months, due 1st December. I remember changing the tax class around 2010 to reduce the tax . its a M1 PLG with 2460cc

My 2008 Cali is PLG and £255 for 12months, due 1st December. I remember changing the tax class around 2010 to reduce the tax . its a M1 PLG with 2460cc
Does it have a CO2 emissions figure on the V5c?