Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taxation class change !!! Correct ???

Does it have a CO2 emissions figure on the V5c?

V5 shows CO2 as blank,
Body type: Motor Caravan,
Tax class: PLG .
Vehcile cat M1

I remember changing tax class, but can't remember what it was before from when the dealer did it. had to go to a vehicle licensing office with documents to reduce the cost of road tax per year. but that was around 2009 - 10

My Cali is plated as 3000kg, so less than the 3050Kg for where reduction in speedlimit over that weight apply

V5 shows CO2 as blank,
Body type: Motor Caravan,
Tax class: PLG .
Vehcile cat M1

I remember changing tax class, but can't remember what it was before from when the dealer did it. had to go to a vehicle licensing office with documents to reduce the cost of road tax per year. but that was around 2009 - 10

My Cali is plated as 3000kg, so less than the 3050Kg for where reduction in speedlimit over that weight apply
If there is no CO2 Emissions figure then Vehicle is taxed on engine size .

Check on your V5c Registration Document.
M1 Class then standard speed limits.
N1 Class then commercial speed limits, 50 on A roads, 60 on Dual carriageways.

N1 class does not govern speed limits alone.
I believe a VW Kombi is classed as a dual purpose vehicle for speed limit purposes, not the reduced commercial limits, due to the rear seating and windows and unladen weight below 2-tonnes.

From. Gov.uk

Vans, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
Most vans:
  • have a lower speed limit than cars
  • must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight
Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

N1 class does not govern speed limits alone.
I believe a VW Kombi is classed as a dual purpose vehicle for speed limit purposes, not the reduced commercial limits, due to the rear seating and windows and unladen weight below 2-tonnes.

From. Gov.uk

Vans, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
Most vans:
  • have a lower speed limit than cars
  • must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight
Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas
There are many arguments relating to N1 classification and Body type etc: and what constitutes a " Dual Purpose Vehicle " as defined by DVLA and HMRC.
The only unambiguous definition is a M1/Motor Caravan.
Plenty of threads/posts on other Forums relating to Conversions and Dual Purpose Vehicle derivatives and speed limits etc:.

There are many arguments relating to N1 classification and Body type etc: and what constitutes a " Dual Purpose Vehicle " as defined by DVLA and HMRC.
The only unambiguous definition is a M1/Motor Caravan.
Plenty of threads/posts on other Forums relating to Conversions and Dual Purpose Vehicle derivatives and speed limits etc:.

HMRC definition is all about reclaiming VAT; DVLA on Vehicle Excise - different rules that don't apply to speed.
Dual purpose vehicle is as defined under Construction & Use Regs, which in turn a referred to by Road Traffic Regulations Act which governs speeding (Schedule 6 dictates vehicle related restriction).
The VEL regs are wholly separate from speed regs.
There should be little ambiguity if you ignore the areas of the law that do not apply to speed/con & use - though a tape measure may be required for the passenger to load space ratio to be sure it is a DPV!

HMRC definition is all about reclaiming VAT; DVLA on Vehicle Excise - different rules that don't apply to speed.
Dual purpose vehicle is as defined under Construction & Use Regs, which in turn a referred to by Road Traffic Regulations Act which governs speeding (Schedule 6 dictates vehicle related restriction).
The VEL regs are wholly separate from speed regs.
There should be little ambiguity if you ignore the areas of the law that do not apply to speed/con & use - though a tape measure may be required for the passenger to load space ratio to be sure it is a DPV!
I bow to your expertise in this matter. I doesn't actually bother me one way or the other but it does bother a fair few on the other T4/5/6 Forums. Only quoting some of the comments made there. As far as I am concerned it is as clear as mud.:thumb