Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New All electric California due in Autumn 2019. What are you thoughts?

I think if EV technology does go full steam ahead, better infrastructure, smaller and lower battery weights, battery range improvements and lightning fast recharging, then someone will probably have a business that retrofits EV technology into older fossil fuel vehicles. But it's a long way off at the moment.

Personally I think EV tech is just a stepping stone to hydrogen or another power source.

Is there a concern that those of us buying Cali's now will be left with vehicles that arent worth a jot in 7-10 years time as the full throttle move to electric takes shape?

As a first time Cali buyer (not quite yet, plan is early next year) it has crossed my mind these past days.
It would certainly make me think seriously about “investing” in a new non eco friendly vehicle of any sort. With public opinion seeming to be behind the speeding up of the move away from petrol and diesel. But at the moment if you want a California or any similar campervan you have no choice.

Is there a concern that those of us buying Cali's now will be left with vehicles that arent worth a jot in 7-10 years time as the full throttle move to electric takes shape?
Given that there are still a few coal fired steam cars from the century before last still registered to use the roads, I can't see diesel cars being outlawed anytime soon. It may be that as diesel cars become fewer the number of refuelling stations selling diesel decreases, just as the number of coal merchants have decreased. We might also see the duty on diesel increasing as the government tries to wean the population out of diesel cars, but that didn't happen with coal.

38154334162_8a32e3c0e4_b.jpg

Given that there are still a few coal fired steam cars from the century before last still registered to use the roads, I can't see diesel cars being outlawed anytime soon. It may be that as diesel cars become fewer the number of refuelling stations selling diesel decreases, just as the number of coal merchants have decreased. We might also see the duty on diesel increasing as the government tries to wean the population out of diesel cars, but that didn't happen with coal.

38154334162_8a32e3c0e4_b.jpg
Given the number of coal driven “cars” on the road I doubt that it would have been cost effective to setup a vehicle tax band for coal or to bother banning them! Whereas a smallish tweak to tax revenues from diesel could generate enough cash to make it a good earner and start to make owning an EV more appealing.

Given the number of coal driven “cars” on the road I doubt that it would have been cost effective to setup a vehicle tax band for coal or to bother banning them! Whereas a smallish tweak to tax revenues from diesel could generate enough cash to make it a good earner and start to make owning an EV more appealing.

Thats my concern too. Heavy (any) price increases in fuel, road tax increases and dropping resale values of fossil fuel powered cars really could upset a few. hhmm

Thats my concern too. Heavy (any) price increases in fuel, road tax increases and dropping resale values of fossil fuel powered cars really could upset a few. hhmm
One thing is for sure, running a non EV vehicle is going to get more expensive!

This push for EV takeup is getting stronger very quickly. its gonna be quite the revolution over the next 5-10 years.
I read an article over the weekend that reckoned that all the environmental gains of EV (so far) have been cancelled out by the move to SUVs away from smaller conventional cars!

As a first time Cali buyer (not quite yet, plan is early next year) it has crossed my mind these past days.
It is more of a concern for camper owners than owners of other types of vehicles, as Cali’s (in particular) hold their value SO well because they have a 30 (40?) year plus life.

If that life was to to be cut much shorter due to changes in law, fuel availability, social acceptance, then residual values would fall.

As has been said, there is currently no electric alternative (and they have plenty to worry about too). I’ve warned that owning the first electric Cali will look like a Betamax video after only a few years, as they will improve at a rapid rate....so waiting and buying a first electric Cali might not be wise either.

I do think however that when the first electric Cali lands, existing Cali residuals will take a hit...nothing too major but hurtful enough for some ‘income poor / asset rich’ owners like me. If that is true, the newest diesel Cali’s would probably be hit the worst.

This logic was (only) a part of my decision to run an older Cali. If you think my hypothesis is true, then why not buy a 2010 140hp Cali now, and get 95% of the fun with much lower outlay and lower risk of being hit by a fall in residuals?

I read an article over the weekend that reckoned that all the environmental gains of EV (so far) have been cancelled out by the move to SUVs away from smaller conventional cars!

Doesnt surprise me to hear that although I suppose when folk start buying EV's in numbers then that will change. However Im simply not convinced by EV's, that is the infrastructure that is currently in place.

Those folk feeling a twinge of smugness creeping over them by jollying along in their 'Environmentally friendly' EV's have simply moved their output to power stations so they're still not being green, just means their no longer sh177ing on their own lawn, however the reality is they're just spreading it elsewhere.

Theres going to come a tipping point very soon with everyone getting EV's. There wont be enough power from traditional sources. So wheres it coming from? It should be coming from Solar panels that are by law installed on every new home and business unit or from the uber cheap solar panel suppliers that can stick a few on everyones homes. Hhmm...thats not happening is it?

Also, revenues from fuel? cant wait to see where the Government take that from too. Looking good for personal transport in all forms in the next 20 years. Cant wait.

We're all gonna be working local and owning horses! .. Now theres an idea! ;)

One thing is for sure, running a non EV vehicle is going to get more expensive!
Having recently bought a petrol Skoda Citigo for £8,888 OTR including options, I was very interested to read details of the new Citigo e iV with a base price of £16,995 and range of 170 miles.

Petrol Citigos are no longer manufactured, and the premium for electric is a little over £8,000.

How much would you need to drive to repay this £8,000 premium?

Assuming electricity costs of zero, a vehicle battery lifespan of ten years, 50 MPG (17.7 KM/L) and £1.30 per litre, the answer is about 11,000 miles per year.

Big assumptions, I know.

We are likely to do about 5,000 miles this year in our Citigo. For us a small electric car really doesn't make economic sense until the price of petrol at least doubles. Environmental sense is a different story, and there we'd need to factor in the environmental costs of battery production.

Interesting story from my local paper, appears the luxury vehicle tax still applies with EVs, I'd not considered this although I also can't imagine spending £40k on an i3 (I quite like them but nearly new ones have been available from BMW for under £30k so either this lady ticked all the options or didn't shop around!) and it's pretty poor that the dealer didn't point this out.

My lad has just taxed his I3, its one with the range extender its has cost him £0...zero

It is more of a concern for camper owners than owners of other types of vehicles, as Cali’s (in particular) hold their value SO well because they have a 30 (40?) year plus life.

If that life was to to be cut much shorter due to changes in law, fuel availability, social acceptance, then residual values would fall.

As has been said, there is currently no electric alternative (and they have plenty to worry about too). I’ve warned that owning the first electric Cali will look like a Betamax video after only a few years, as they will improve at a rapid rate....so waiting and buying a first electric Cali might not be wise either.

I do think however that when the first electric Cali lands, existing Cali residuals will take a hit...nothing too major but hurtful enough for some ‘income poor / asset rich’ owners like me. If that is true, the newest diesel Cali’s would probably be hit the worst.

This logic was (only) a part of my decision to run an older Cali. If you think my hypothesis is true, then why not buy a 2010 140hp Cali now, and get 95% of the fun with much lower outlay and lower risk of being hit by a fall in residuals?

I quite agree with the above.

You can apply this to anyone wanting to purchase and own any vehicle now over a longer period. I've held on to an older car much longer than id have wanted to simply to get myself in to a position to by a new or potentially ( not decided yet) nearly new California so buying an older camper isnt on the cards. Of course in doing so does beg the questions of longer term ownership.

Youre right first 'leccy Cali's much like all these 1st Gen electric cars. Im not interested. Lets see 600+ miles and then im interested. I'll include Teslas too. Feels too early to be purchasing electric cars IMO.

My lad has just taxed is I3, its one with the range extender its has cost him £0...zero

Owning an EV right now is good thing for tax purposes. With the range extender thats roughly 200+ miles?! and what £10 to top it up ?

I had considered an i3 for my wife and her daily work run. I've driven one and they're quite something to drive. Very different feeling and smart inside too.

EVs may be part of the solution for the time being at least but they certainly aren't the whole answer. Anyway in 7 - 10 years time those people currently buying EVs may be discovering that it wasn't such clever idea after all. I would suggest that there is a good probability that it's those EVs that may not be worth a jot. With batteries needing very costly replacement those EVs may well effectively be write offs.

Having just purchased a brand new Cali I'm quietly confident that it will still be on the roads in ten years time.

EVs may be part of the solution for the time being at least but they certainly aren't the whole answer. Anyway in 7 - 10 years time those people currently buying EVs may be discovering that it wasn't such clever idea after all. I would suggest that there is a good probability that it's those EVs that may not be worth a jot. With batteries needing very costly replacement those EVs may well effectively be write offs.

Having just purchased a brand new Cali I'm quietly confident that it will still be on the roads in ten years time.

I'd bet that most EVs purchased today won't be viable in 10 years time, either because technology has advanced so much or the need new batteries etc. That doesn't mean they won't be cost effective for some to run but from an environmental perspective there will be a lot of cars getting scrapped (although hopefully the batteries will get recycled).

Running an EV car will too. The more people switch to EVs then the less the revenue take from VED. That situation won't be allowed to continue.

Youre bang on. The honeymoon period for EV's is right now. This is the best its gonna get before the rulers of this land add a little something somewhere to take up the shortfall on fuel taxes. Wont be long.

For anyone concerned about residuals, they should consider buying the vehicle on a VW PCP agreement.

After the agreement term ends, either hand the vehicle back (as long as you have not exceeded agreed mileage and not trashed the Cali) or pay the GMFV (guaranteed minimum future value) and keep the vehicle.

However you will pay a premium for this option.

oh and another thing.......

As our new EV's can self drive, we'll need less cars per house hold. They can collect the shopping, the kids, collect us from the pub, drop me off at work, then drop the wife off at her workplace, do the reverse later on that day, possibly even a tip run, take themselves to be cleaned. Go charge themselves, earn us a few quid by being a taxi when not in use etc etc......Soooo wheres the government getting lost revenue from then?

Bring on the future! Its looking awesome(ly expensive!) :D

I wonder how much thought has been given to energy requirements if millions (maybe hundreds of) go electric along with the aircraft industry presently considering short haul electric planes. There is no chance of renewables being able to take up this challenge never mind the shortage of rare earth metals required. No I will keep a sense of reality and enjoy my California.

Last edited:
I wonder how much thought has been given to energy requirements if millions (maybe hundreds of) go electric along with the aircraft industry presently considering short haul electric planes. There is no change of renewables being able to take up this challenge never mind the shortage of rare earth metals required. No I will keep a sense of reality and enjoy my California.

Feels rather like we're swapping one pile horse dung for another fresher steamier pile of horse dung to me. Sourcing the materials for batteries is simply the oil thing for the future!? . Cant be right, surely.

Best to pop the top up and lap up the sunshine while its there. #CaliDays

Back