Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New All electric California due in Autumn 2019. What are you thoughts?

Bloody hell! All this doom mongering about nuclear vs batteries vs fossil fuels and with the Omicron (sorry moronic) latest mutations, we are all doomed anyway, are we not? When the nuclear fallout from Russia's invasion of Ukraine and Liz Truss's response hits us, the best place to be will be in the Highlands in your Cali (at least for a few days). Making sure of course you are not near Gare Loch

I don't promote but regretfully if we want to have sufficient energy what is the alternative. We don't all live in sunny climes and the west coast of Scotland can be bl**dy cold!
The possibilities of conservation have barely been explored. How many “air curtain” and rotary doors on businesses pump warm air to the street in winter and cold air to the sidewalk in summer? If people and businesses won’t conserve, perhaps the bizarre energy subsidies which reward the largest businesses for lower prices the more they use will have to be re-examined.

I have seen the first hand effects of energy waste. Many people don’t know that until 1962 my native city, Los Angeles, had the largest public transportation system of street cars, electric busses and intercity trains in the world. In that year, in a very shady deal, the city sold the system to General Motors, which spent the next two years ripping out the rails and dynamiting the tunnels in order to sell diesel busses and private cars. This could only happen because there was cheap gas which could be wasted without consequence. Los Ángeles was the first major American city to see its thriving city center turn into an abandoned wasteland. This never happened in Europe, mainly because high gas prices made people choose economical vehicles or no vehicle at all. These priorities are becoming a distant memory, and instead of looking for relatively painless ways to conserve (all lighting in my house, even the comfortable, beautiful and dimmable warm lighting in my living room is LED in order to maximize efficiency in my 1880 flat), people are quick to complain that they can’t freely waste energy as they have been accustomed to until now.

Last edited:
I haven't done an air curtain on a food retail for a long time (>20years). Conversation of energy is widely adopted and explored so most schemes will need renewable or low energy technology, high efficiency to meet guidance via TER and BER, (energy modelling). Standards are constantly improving and we are due / overdue updated standards in regards to reducing energy loss from buildings.

Have just installed an 100kwh solar array at a Port and their KW cost for electricity was on par with what I'm paying for 1/1000th of the supply.... i.e no real discount.

LED lights no brainer. Just changed mine again and boy they are so much brighter, and cheaper. Should have gone with the dimmable option.

I know of a school that borrowed money from the Govement (2015) and changed all lights within the school to LEDs and the saving in electricty was paying back the loan and saving money. Used LED lights now for about 10years on commerical schemes and prior to that daylight saving technology to reduce power when natural light was available (payback was around 4 to 5years). Installed PVs on schemes since 2006.

Monitoring is now starting to come into force so the computer say is actually verfired in use. Then we have consideration of consquenical improvement, compliance with latest guidance for material change, energy assessments, BREEAM, SBEM, Local PPG, planning conditions etc.

I could ramble on and on.......

So I would disagree with barely explored..............

Last edited:
They could stop putting putting the clocks back an hour in winter. Most people are awake in the afternoon and evening rather than first thing in the morning. So most lighting is on for an hour longer than it needs to be

I haven't done an air curtain on a food retail for a long time (>20years). Conversation of energy is widely adopted and explored so most schemes will need renewable or low energy technology, high efficiency to meet guidance via TER and BER, (energy modelling). Standards are constantly improving and we are due / overdue updated standards in regards to reducing energy loss from buildings.

Have just installed an 100kwh solar array at a Port and their KW cost for electricity was on par with what I'm paying for 1/1000th of the supply.... i.e no real discount.

LED lights no brainer. Just changed mine again and boy they are so much brighter, and cheaper. Should have gone with the dimmable option.

I know of a school that borrowed money from the Govement (2015) and changed all lights within the school to LEDs and the saving in electricty was paying back the loan and saving money. Used LED lights now for about 10years on commerical schemes and prior to that daylight saving technology to reduce power when natural light was available (payback was around 4 to 5years). Installed PVs on schemes since 2006.

Monitoring is now starting to come into force so the computer say is actually verfired in use. Then we have consideration of consquenical improvement, compliance with latest guidance for material change, energy assessments, BREEAM, SBEM, Local PPG, planning conditions etc.

I could ramble on and on.......

So I would disagree with barely explored..............
What percentage of currently existing homes and businesses have been updated to these standards?

I will always remember many many years ago when Nuclear power stations were being built we were told that we would have limitless supplies of extremely cheap electricity. And we all know what happened with that......We are still so far behind when it comes to green energy. Our personal electricity bill has almost doubled overnight, Why? The electricity supplied to the UK is generated in the UK and not imported like Gas. Yes prices of Gas oil and coal have risen but not reason enough to double the charges. Covid has a lot to answer for and will do for many years to come.

May we be on our guard from those who promote nuclear power, which is immoral since a nuclear plant, with a useful life of 40-50 years produces as waste one of the most deadly poisons known to man with a half-life of over 250,000 years, which means that our descendants will have to deal with it for over 1,000,000 years. The time elapsed since the birth of Christ until the present day becomes insignificant in comparison. Surely they will find a solution…but how do we feel entitled to leave them this legacy? Most people are unaware that the only reason the nuclear energy industry exists is that international legal treaties severely limit the industry’s damage liability in case of an accident, instead making the taxpayer liable for the cost.

On a more practical note, nuclear generated electricity is currently the most expensive for consumers in Europe.

“In France, a country in which nuclear energy has been a key factor in stabilizing prices in the past, the MWh will mark 346 euros this Wednesday; in Germany, 295; in Belgium, 293; and in the Netherlands, 276. Even in Poland, which is highly dependent on coal - which, despite the fact that it has risen in parallel with gas in recent months, continues to be a cheap source of energy - electricity will cost 226 euros per MWh.”View attachment 87475View attachment 87476
There is nothing immoral with immoral with nuclear energy. There are however immoral governments/individuals that will use nuclear technology to threaten and bully, but there are many other technologies that can be used aggressively, You rightly say that there are nuclear waste products that have decay lifetimes of exceptional lengths. However, technology exists, at least in the research phase, where these materials can be degraded quickly and safely - the Fast Breeder Reactor. The UK was a leader in this technology but the research was stopped not because it did not work but because of ill-informed public opinion. The Fast Breeder Reactor is an exceptional bit of kit, and that to some extent is its downfall. It is so flexible in what it can do that it can be tweaked by the unscrupulous to produce weapon grade material. In responsible hands it would represent almost a complete answer to the world's energy needs, only surpassed by fusion reactors. Unfortunately 99+% of the population follows the concept that "nuclear is bad" and the press have not and do not help. Nuclear is not bad but there are bad people. I would much rather live next to a nuclear power plant than one developing new viruses and/or developing enhanced nerve agents,

I'm not aware of respective laws unless undertaking works. However we do have EPCs (so naming and shaming may bring about change)

Consequential improvements is a requirement and upgrading is required if undertaking works. So if I renew a roof I have to meet current guidance and may also have to consider other improvement If an extension is added, as well as the extension meeting current guidance . i.e I cant replace like for like but it is quite complex and not one rule fits all.

Has someone figured out out how to generate electricity with a virus!? I’m still trying to get a free microchip with my vaccine booster.
Yes.

Yes.

That article is 4 months from its aluminum anniversary....maybe VW has been trying all along to use viruses to cause galvanic corrosion to charge the leisure battery!

Whilst retro-fitting existing buildings is vital, we're still constructing buildings with poor environmental credentials.
This government scrapped Code for Sustainable Homes, a clear system of ranking sustainability that pushed developers to achieve better by allowing its integration into Planning policy, and showed them how. It was hard to achieve Code 6. The replacement optional building regs fails to recognise the need for early planning to embed sustainable design decisions, and doesn't have the same marketing desirability. Back to lowest common denominator building.
Hopeless simpletons with instincts to remove regulation for their chums, at almost any cost.

Whilst retro-fitting existing buildings is vital, we're still constructing buildings with poor environmental credentials.
This government scrapped Code for Sustainable Homes, a clear system of ranking sustainability that pushed developers to achieve better by allowing its integration into Planning policy, and showed them how. It was hard to achieve Code 6. The replacement optional building regs fails to recognise the need for early planning to embed sustainable design decisions, and doesn't have the same marketing desirability. Back to lowest common denominator building.
Hopeless simpletons with instincts to remove regulation for their chums, at almost any cost.
What has this got to do with Electric Californias?

As we probably already know the EV California, based on the ID Buzz, will most likely be available in 2025. (short article in the Sunday Times magazine today). Really looking forward to seeing the full specification.

There is nothing immoral with immoral with nuclear energy. There are however immoral governments/individuals that will use nuclear technology to threaten and bully, but there are many other technologies that can be used aggressively, You rightly say that there are nuclear waste products that have decay lifetimes of exceptional lengths. However, technology exists, at least in the research phase, where these materials can be degraded quickly and safely - the Fast Breeder Reactor. The UK was a leader in this technology but the research was stopped not because it did not work but because of ill-informed public opinion. The Fast Breeder Reactor is an exceptional bit of kit, and that to some extent is its downfall. It is so flexible in what it can do that it can be tweaked by the unscrupulous to produce weapon grade material. In responsible hands it would represent almost a complete answer to the world's energy needs, only surpassed by fusion reactors. Unfortunately 99+% of the population follows the concept that "nuclear is bad" and the press have not and do not help. Nuclear is not bad but there are bad people. I would much rather live next to a nuclear power plant than one developing new viruses and/or developing enhanced nerve agents,
Just wondering if your views on nuclear power have changed since Russia bombed the largest nuclear plant in Europe and stirred up clouds of radiation by digging trenches at the occupied Chernobyl disaster site.

Just wondering if your views on nuclear power have changed since Russia bombed the largest nuclear plant in Europe and stirred up clouds of radiation by digging trenches at the occupied Chernobyl disaster site.
No change to my thinking. Re read the first part of my comment and ask yourself "what lead up to both the original Chernobyl disaster (a stupid unauthorized experiment) and what stirred up the dust? A kitchen knife in the wrong hands is a lethal weapon, as is the van you drive and then what about a hydroelectric dam that someone then blows up and floods the land and villages for tens of square miles. I know it was World War two but the breaching of the two Rhur dams caused massive damage. Nuclear is the only realistic way forward - in sensible hands!!!

No change to my thinking. Re read the first part of my comment and ask yourself "what lead up to both the original Chernobyl disaster (a stupid unauthorized experiment) and what stirred up the dust? A kitchen knife in the wrong hands is a lethal weapon, as is the van you drive and then what about a hydroelectric dam that someone then blows up and floods the land and villages for tens of square miles. I know it was World War two but the breaching of the two Rhur dams caused massive damage. Nuclear is the only realistic way forward - in sensible hands!!!
Nuclear in sensible hands has proved to be a classic oxymoron. Now you want breeder reactors to clean up the million year deadly waste that we leave future generations to deal with…what could possibly go wrong?

Since that thread is being resurrected: does anyone know what happened to this T6.1-based electric California? Has anybody got one? Was it all just vapourware?

Since that thread is being resurrected: does anyone know what happened to this T6.1-based electric California? Has anybody got one? Was it all just vapourware?
there is no electric california and doubt there will be one for many years as too many issues to solve. heating, charging, range , weight etc. you could still cook using gas i suppose

there is no electric california and doubt there will be one for many years as too many issues to solve. heating, charging, range , weight etc. you could still cook using gas i suppose
Happy to continue this but this is the wrong thread!

I have been following the possibility of a VW all electric camper closely. As yet there is no positive information, just speculation that it will be based on a long wheelbase ID Buzz. The long wheelbase Buzz is expected to go into production next year as a 6/7 seater people carrier after the 5 seater is launched this summer.
I'm hopeful that it will materialise, even to the extent of buying a No plate for it, BU22 BED.

Nuclear in sensible hands has proved to be a classic oxymoron. Now you want breeder reactors to clean up the million year deadly waste that we leave future generations to deal with…what could possibly go wrong?
Happy to continue this exchange but this is the wrong thread.

Happy to continue this but this is the wrong thread!
i thought the thread was about an electric california ? oh well. anyway i can't be arsed to continue it. everythings been said already

Back