Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New All electric California due in Autumn 2019. What are you thoughts?

I have a vision of future motorway service stations.
Everyone sitting around for hours drinking coffee whilst their car charges, hundreds of EV points and trailing leads and cars parked and the motorway completely empty...

Yeah, maybe electric will have some advantages for those smart enough to be driving hybrids and cleaner fossil fuel :D

Hold on a minute.
Your comparing the cost of fill-ups on a Range Rover to that of a Tesla...?

Let’s compare like for like.
M3 vs Tesla.
Initial cost of both
M3 £55k Tesla £75k for the basic car.

That’s a lot of fill-ups at £100 against £6
Plus a lot more fun in an M3 and convenience.

Good morning ,

I believe the challenge is for the mass market.

Most of the time (young) families struggle financially. A transport that is suitable for this market must be affordable. In a bigger picture I can imagine electric cars will be affordable to buy, but not to run.

If in European countries the various targets are met 25 to 35% of all cars are electric. And here is the challenge.

Building a network of charging stations across Europe is very expensive, the create such an enormous amount of electricity is difficult. It is difficult in many ways because the trend goes to electric solutions in general , not only cars.

If this huge number of cars are on the road, replacing petrol cars, how does the government compensate for the loss in petrol tax?

I believe that an electric car can work for an individual, but to have success we need to get numbers of them on the road.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning ,

I believe the challenge is for the mass market.

Most of the time (young) families struggle financially. A transport that is suitable for this market must be affordable. In a bigger picture I can imagine electric cars will be affordable to buy, but not to run.

If in European countries the various targets are met 25 to 35% of all cars are electric. And here is the challenge.

Building a network of charging stations across Europe is very expensive, the create such an enormous amount of electricity is difficult. It is difficult in many ways because the trend goes to electric solutions in general , not only cars.

If this huge number of cars are on the road, replacing petrol cars, how does the government compensate for the loss in petrol tax?

I believe that an electric car can work for an individual, but to have success we need to get numbers of them on the road.

Regards,
Eberhard

Absolutely.
Once it’s been taken on as main stream, electrical price tariffs will rocket. Which will affect not just transportation but home energy prices too.

Almost convincing.
Then at the end of the video talks about needing a second “proper car” which again, doesn’t justify the green credentials to me.

I’ve ridden in a model X and after the initial interest, it soon all appears very bland and mundane.
Would I pick a Tesla over an M3...???
No chance.
But I enjoy the art of driving and am saddened at the future of motoring.
Internal combustion sports cars are going to be worth serious money, 20 years from now.

Sorry Soulstyledevon but I was not considering the cost. However I’ve owned several M3’s and apart from cost there’s just no comparison,l, even when it comes to the fun of the actual driving. Incidentally the top end fully spec”d Model X P100D with Ludicrous is north of £150k, so not a fair comparison to a £50k beemer.

Incidentally the top end fully spec”d Model X P100D with Ludicrous is north of £150k, so not a fair comparison to a £50k beemer.

The Model 3 is a better comparison to the M3.

By the way, you could get a bit of a shock if you check the new Model X P100D ludicrous prices, Tesla dropped the price significantly last week.

Being realistic we know the future regulations will restrict speed and access to some areas so fast acceleration matters little. Driving experience will become automated and missed by many. As for battery power, look at the cost of manufacture and limited life, then disposal. Fast charging also limits life too. I dont have the answer but believe city dwellers are perfect for e vehicles. The rest of us maybe not.

Sorry Soulstyledevon but I was not considering the cost. However I’ve owned several M3’s and apart from cost there’s just no comparison,l, even when it comes to the fun of the actual driving. Incidentally the top end fully spec”d Model X P100D with Ludicrous is north of £150k, so not a fair comparison to a £50k beemer.
In a country with a 70 mph speed limit and overcrowded roads it is absurd to have such outrageous performance, one could almost describe it as ludicrous.

Careful... M3 is now what us tesla owners refer to for Model 3 :)
Horses for courses but Tesla is much more fun than you might think to drive

Just announced yesterday - updated superchargers, twice the speed of charge

And congested roads are so much easier with AutoPilot

ON TOPIC Looking forward to seeing the electric camper, but I think the reality of charging on public infrastructre is a hard one to face

If I were a teenager with a backwards baseball cap and a fondness for rap, I’d probably go for an M3.

But there’s no way I’d choose one now over a Tesla (if I could afford either of them!)

:)

All pie in the sky. Doesn't matter what the car manufacturers bring to market, what will limit everything will be electrical power generation and distribution.
No power, no charger, no electric vehicles.
The western world barely produces enough for its present needs let alone enough to cover a change to e-vehicles, and the 3rd world doesn't even come close to cover basic needs.

The western world barely produces enough for its present needs let alone enough to cover a change to e-vehicles...

Actually, the problem is just the peak usage. Many countries have very expensive reactors sitting idle much of the time, simply so that they can be turned on at short notice for peak demand. Even the current grid is completely capable of handling all the electric cars expected for quite some time, as long as the charging is smart. ie. it's not just everyone coming home at 6pm and plugging in. When your charger can switch on at whatever time of the day or night the electricity is cheapest, everything changes.

Add to that Vehicle-to-grid technology, which is just starting real tests, and holds huge potential for smoothing out the peaks. When that is more widely deployed, electric vehicles may actually benefit the grid and be a significant factor in improving current electricity delivery; it puts the ability to cope with peak loads close to the users who generate them.

For poorer countries, the grid can be more of a challenge, but EVs are very amenable to charging from local solar, for example.

I have a vision of a row of houses that don't have drive ways with hundreds of cables laying across the pavement.. does the government assume all cars are parked on drives for people to charge them up?

No - that is a challenge - I know this, because for the first two years of EV ownership, that's just what I did - I had a heavy-duty cable cover protecting my cable, and I would plug in late at night and unplug first thing in the morning.

20151209-19154104.jpg

I had no troubles at all; my neighbours were very supportive and encouraging, but it did work mostly because I was in a nice area and near the end of a cul-de-sac, where, despite the crowding, I was usually able to park within reach of my cable.

That doesn't scale, though. There are projects in some places - Oxford, most recently - to add charging points to lampposts, which works there, but not here where many of the lampposts have been moved to the inside of the pavements rather than the kerb. Cities will probably need more charging at workplaces, schools, supermarkets etc, and of course, a lot of petrol forecourts will be converted to ultra-rapid chargers. I've done some consulting for oil companies on this. The key thing to remember is that almost anywhere with a car park can be turned into a charging location. Creating petrol stations was a more difficult process!

But life is very much easier now I've moved out of town and have a driveway :)

Scottish Power admitted smart meters would allow surge pricing to help control power useage. It also accepted difficulties inthe future with power supply. No one stops to consider the fact that there is no clean energy source capable of on demand requirements. I am not against new tech but from our research some are either dreaming or wearing rose tinted spectacles and using recreational drugs. :)

if you lived in Doncaster mate you wouldn't be able to do that. the scrotes would have the cable away for a start

What happens if you don’t make it to the next charging point and are stuck with a flat battery? It’s bound to happen!

if you lived in Doncaster mate you wouldn't be able to do that. the scrotes would have the cable away for a start

It is at least locked automatically at both ends while charging. And has a high voltage running through it, so probably more trouble to steal than the wheels. :)

What happens if you don’t make it to the next charging point and are stuck with a flat battery? It’s bound to happen!

Yes, that can happen, and it's made worse by the fact that most EVs can't be towed and need a low-loader to tow them away. However, it's never happened to me (or to most EV owners), the roadside rescue services take this in their stride if it does, and you need to remember that any 3-pin plug, though it may be a very slow way to charge a whole battery, can get you enough to take you to the next charging point.

Now we're starting to get EVs with ranges in the 300+ miles, it's not that different from a petrol car. An extension lead is easier to carry than a jerry can, and there are more places you can fill it up, though not so many where you can fill it up fast :) Yet.

It is at least locked automatically at both ends while charging. And has a high voltage running through it, so probably more trouble to steal than the wheels. :)
you under estimate the scrotes, how do you think they nick hv railway cable?

you under estimate the scrotes, how do you think they nick hv railway cable?

They aren’t locked in on the Nissans.

It’s all most impossible to keep things safely locked away in your house, never mind the EV charging cable outside in the street :headbang

Back