Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New All electric California due in Autumn 2019. What are you thoughts?

In my humble opinion (and I work in the energy industry) fully electric vehicles are a technology suited for urban driving/commuting to work where often employers offer free electric charging points (they do where I work). For use such as a camper van we are years away from practicality.....where will all the additional batteries for running the internal electrics be stored......additional weight........reduced range!!
Someone in my office worked out the revenue loss to the government from tax on petrol and diesel fuel....there were a heck of a lot of zero's after the first 2 numbers!!! And the cost to build additional nuclear power plants as renewables will not cope with the HUGE extra demand. The hydrogen fuel cell is the answer. For now a diesel Cali is the sensible choice. In my humble opinion!!

A Tesla Model X 100D which can supposedly do 300 miles weighs in at 2,500 kg. That is the same weight as a Cali Ocean. To carry sufficient batteries to move an Cali an distance you are talking well over a 1000 kg of extra weight taking it over 3500kg apart from where the batteries will go you will need a C1 licence.

I would like to hear the safety argument for sleeping in a vehicle with all those batteries and your chance of getting out alive if they catch fire when you are sleeping.

I guess many are looking at this thread with an eye on the residuals of our vans. Residuals that are only so good because Cali's are still desirable when 35+ years old.

So we know that from 2040, no NEW cars can be sold with internal combustion engines (so rules out hybrid too).

Let's assume a viable all electric Cali doesn't become available until 2025. What does 2045 look like for owners of 20 year old diesel Cali's? What does it look like for Chris Evans (or his children who inherit) and his £1 million Ferraris?

I doubt we'll not be allowed into many City Centres, but how many fuel stations will be left, serving an increasingly small number of vehicles with internal combustion engines? Will we be filling up with the HGVs? I'll be 82 so won't be stressing too much on my (electric) scooter :)

Not sure where some of you guys are based. But I’m glad of the electric van today and thank my lucky stars I’m not on the bicycle.
The rain is torrential with strong winds...

21CD1E73-8E24-47EC-87E9-0077B09C8309.jpeg

And you're driving with only one hand! And on the wrong side of the rooooad!!! :headbang :Grin

Yes.
I’m also driving with my feet, whilst eating my breakfast and watching Netflix on the IPad. Anything entertaining to get through a working day...

All electric T6 from ATB at the Geneva Motor Show..

8c619d0430fcab20afb3972a667c9b58.jpg

051ad68a117523a2e99e5d957ceb4548.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it looks like they've put a four-pint bottle of green lid milk under the bonnet - is this the first reveal of the new e-California fridge location?

With their large battery they quote 400km in their web detail. Loaded would reduce that and I think the mad rush to electric has not looked at the longer term issues and costs. The holy grail has not been found yet and I don't think common sense is being applied.

All electric T6 from ATB at the Geneva Motor Show..

8c619d0430fcab20afb3972a667c9b58.jpg

051ad68a117523a2e99e5d957ceb4548.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First photos I have seen under the bonnet, looks great. Where did you find these photos or did you visit the show? Would love to see the underside of the van to see how big the battery pack is. Loads of space under there once the exhaust, and fuel tanks has been removed I guess.

E Transporter Battery A.JPG
Just found this one, not sure what size battery this one is, but there is plenty of room under there for more and as battery capacity increases in the next few years we should be good for 100+ KW/h. Just take the Renault Zoe as an example. Same size battery went from 22K/w to 41kw/h in a matter of a couple of years.

The title of this thread, and the opening post says there will be an all electric CALI in September this year. I know they have promised a Transporter by then, but is there any serious expectation of a Cali?

Given the weight of the batteries, I would only think the Beach would be available in EV format to begin with.

Things are moving fast and fast moving is not necessarily an ideal situation for a better product. I would hate think of the insurance cost for a E Cali with gas cooking facilities. I will stick with diesel for some time to come I am sure.

Not from having a gas stove in the general proximity which is what was inferred

Back