Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New All electric California due in Autumn 2019. What are you thoughts?

On topic
Wish there was more VAN and less VANLIFE in this video!

I will say however if VW want to give me a long term loan of an electric California I'll happily try it and make a load of videos on how it goes haha ;)

Every time I check-in it's the same theme on this - so how about a glass half-full approach? What if it all goes swimmingly & we get dramatically quiet city streets and cleaner air?

Switching over will create a much needed boost in jobs manufacturing, fitting & servicing chargers & panels etc. Tech will get exponentially smaller / faster / better & cheaper as it always does.

You all worry too much - the decision is made, so you may as well look on the bright side.

I fully expect the imminent new baby Honda will be the first big-time electric city car & things will get to critical mass very quickly from here, far faster than anyone expects.

However, it will surely still be a good while yet until the electric Cali is a totally viable alternative to IC - it's the hardest use-case of all with range, load / weight & frequently the remotest destinations as a unique combination of issues to overcome.

Before we all give ourselves a halo, look up Lithium Mining, its appalling.
Yes exactly and that's just one of the issues that's being convieniently ignored at present. Anyone considering an EV on environmental grounds should dig a little deeper.

ZapGo:

See also: Moore's Law

ZapGo:

See also: Moore's Law
Why not then the law of karma as everything has a consequence ( newtons 3rd law) Apologies for trying to lighten the thread.:Iamsorry

I would be concerned about being able to recharge. There seem to be different standards. Currently there are insufficient charging points also very slow from a domestic supply. At a campsite power rating will be even less than most homes and looks unlikely to be able to support charging. Those of you you want to consider the possibly in more detail may find this web page of interest. Points such as
Charging point parameters
Rated power and current type (DC/AC)
Connector type
Connector protocols
Which charger should I install?
Other terms you may come across: Slow vs Fast vs Rapid

Last edited:
I've worried a fair bit about this given the significant investment in my van. Although the politicians have decided that electricity is the way forward (because they believe its made and stored by fairies), I doubt that the first, or the second versions of Cali's are going to be that clever.
It's not (or shouldn't be) the case that Diesel Cali's will plummet in value the moment the first elec Cali hits the show rooms. As soon as the first one arrives, the whispers about the second range will start: promising better range and more power...and what will that do to the values of the first ones?
It's taken 50+ years of development of diesels to get us this far. Things may happen faster these days but there is going a long period of the latest elec Cali soon being the overtaken by the next one and soon being regarded as the equivalent of the 'brick' mobile phones.

The price of copper is going to rocket with all those charging points being installed!

Last edited:
Already happening. Rise in railside wiring thefts.

Very interesting read WG. There is no such thing as green energy as the mining and processing of minerals, plus reprocessing for batteries, will impact massively. Greenest option is to run California for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Very interesting read WG. There is no such thing as green energy as the mining and processing of minerals, plus reprocessing for batteries, will impact massively. Greenest option is to run California for as long as possible.
I hope they don’t start having scrapage deals like they did a few years back, perfectly good and serviceable cars being scrapped in exchange for cash and purchase of a slightly less polluting car.

“The fundamental message consumers should be taking today is that it’s financially insane to buy anything other than a Tesla, It’ll be like owning a horse in three years. I mean, fine if you want to own a horse, but you should go into it with that expectation.”

Elon Musk
:pinkbanana

“The fundamental message consumers should be taking today is that it’s financially insane to buy anything other than a Tesla, It’ll be like owning a horse in three years. I mean, fine if you want to own a horse, but you should go into it with that expectation.”

Elon Musk
"He would say that wouldn't he".

Elon Musk
I quite like horses.

If you ever saw some of the mines where the metals are dug up you would be heartbroken, awful places many of them.

1557823065371.png

If you ever saw some of the mines where the metals are dug up you would be heartbroken, awful places many of them.

View attachment 44796
Unfortunately it would appear the " Climate Change " lobby due to their lack of knowledge are basically supporting these mines/companies and are complicit in their continuation and matters will only get worse.

This is the Law of Unintended Consequences rearing its head.

Unfortunately it would appear the " Climate Change " lobby due to their lack of knowledge are basically supporting these mines/companies and are complicit in their continuation and matters will only get worse.

This is the Law of Unintended Consequences rearing its head.

I tend to agree...

Although (even if you ignore a few wars and environmental disasters)...the oil industry is not entirely blameless.

View attachment 44796
Listening to Radio 4 just now, discussing the pros and cons of electric cars. Only one point raised regarding the mining of cobalt. Apparently 60% is mined in the Congo. Another moral dilemma!

Listening to Radio 4 just now, discussing the pros and cons of electric cars. Only one point raised regarding the mining of cobalt. Apparently 60% is mined in the Congo. Another moral dilemma!
[/QUOTE]
And China has the mining rights to the DRC. I just wish common sense prevailed.. too many vested interests in the electric lobby.

To be expected. It is the BBC after all and they have David Attenborough's programmes to promote.

And guess where the next UN Climate Change Conference is being held - New York. Will it be a Conference Video Link? Not on your nelly. There will be hundreds if not thousands winging their way to the big apple to talk. I hope the UN will be off-setting the CO2 produced by the delegates and hangers on, but somehow I don't think so. Am I being too cynical?:headbang:headbang

Back