Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The new T6 Grand California ( XXL )

I wonder what sort of prices these will be starting at, and how long the list of optional extras will be.

OMG what is with all this motorhome dissing? Are we superior because we drive round in essentially converted builders vans?
Yes.
We could be driving a Caravan stuck on a Truck chassis.:shocked

The one big plus for such a vehicle if built, it's NOT WHITE and it would have a Full Vehicle 3 yr Warranty instead of a Warranty split between the vehicle and the converter.

I moved on from a Beach to a Westfalia Columbus last year... Westfalia have a Crafter to launch in Düsseldorf, and with the Mercedes Marco Polo threat, I guess this is a good way to steel some limelight from that.

OMG what is with all this motorhome dissing? Are we superior because we drive round in essentially converted builders vans?

I am not motorhome dissing,

It is first the other way round, in my case being dissed because I am "only a camper"...

Secondly it is a horses for courses thing. I've had my big white, it did the job that I bought it for, it will not do the job that I want it to do now, which is very much second regular car in the drive to adventure vehicle that can take me anywhere.

The idea of a "large California" at first seemed negative to me as I want the size, but now see where it's coming from. Do I want the integrated factory built job or the hassle that I got with my A Class where everything was the others fault, the base vehicle or the conversion.

I think it's just the roof flap thing open makes it look odd at the front. I might consider it if it wasn't too bulky; although I would prefer a California type elevating roof vehicle with a loo based on the LWB Transporter.

Well I like it. The new standard Crafter is a good size for conversion not sure it needs the extra headroom. Seen a few of the .larger van conversions and they are good looking.

There is undoubtedly a market for this size/type of vehicle so it is logical VW go after it.
More choice for us.

I very much like the recent Crafter & am looking forward to seeing the new van - this concept drawing is based on the midsize version.

There are some real badass Crafter conversions on the T4/T5 forum with a bike garage under the fixed rear double-bed.

Bigger than a Cali & smaller than a Hymer (and not a Fiat or a Peugeot) may well suit me very nicely one day.

Crafter is probably one of the best platforms out there, VW, bathroom space, genuine all year 4 berth, parking options and you can make swift progress.

It's a huge market dominated by Fiat / Pug / Cit so it's great news with VW bringing another factory built vehicle.

I am not motorhome dissing,

It is first the other way round, in my case being dissed because I am "only a camper"...

Secondly it is a horses for courses thing. I've had my big white, it did the job that I bought it for, it will not do the job that I want it to do now, which is very much second regular car in the drive to adventure vehicle that can take me anywhere.

The idea of a "large California" at first seemed negative to me as I want the size, but now see where it's coming from. Do I want the integrated factory built job or the hassle that I got with my A Class where everything was the others fault, the base vehicle or the conversion.
I didn't think you were, it was others I was referring too.

Named "California XXL".....that's too easy.....
A California is for decades a "T" with a raising roof!
What's next? a "California XS", based on a Caddy?

It's not really any bigger than a club joker on the inside but a lot bigger on the outside, looks like it come with a fixed bed! That's the one think I don't get in big whites why do you need a fixed bed and what is wrong with converting a lounge bench or bed in the roof. Think i would still opt for a club jokerif I wanted more space.

Named "California XXL".....that's too easy.....
A California is for decades a "T" with a raising roof!
What's next? a "California XS", based on a Caddy?
Good one, so it will be S, M, L, XL & XXL? ;)

It's not really any bigger than a club joker on the inside but a lot bigger on the outside, looks like it come with a fixed bed! That's the one think I don't get in big whites why do you need a fixed bed and what is wrong with converting a lounge bench or bed in the roof. Think i would still opt for a club jokerif I wanted more space.

Have to disagree with the fixed bed comment. If I ever needed a bigger van, it would absolutely need a fixed bed. Having the extra space I would want complete comfort and not having the hassle of making the bed every day.

Last edited:
Too big for me personally but better than anything Fiat based.

Just make sure you search "California XXL" rather than "California XXX" that enters you into a whole different category.

After just finishing a trip of 10,000+kms in 5+ weeks with 5 people in a Cali Beach ... my emotional response (I still have yet to clean it up and put everything away!) ... the XXL would been great for wild camping (bathroom & shower!!) However, those tight hedged roads in Cornwall, narrow parking area entrances/exits at different locations, etc., etc., made me thankful that I didn't have a bigger foot print nor was any taller (can we say driving & parking in France!) than my Cali Beach. I confess that I would consider an XL Cali (Transporter) that was tall in the coming years - maybe. :)

I do absolutely love the idea that VW is getting into the camping game from the Caddy > Transporter > Crafter, so I support the XXL 110%, but just not my cup of tea right now ... though maybe several years down the road.

I like it and it could be just what we'll be looking for when we upgrade in a few years.
I'm a big fan of burstner, dethleffs etc but to my mind they'll be missing a trick if, with all that headroom they don't include a roof stored lowering bed - something that's becoming more popular now and is something i would want.
I've done plenty of research over the last couple of years and still haven't found my ideal set up which would be the lowering bed INSTEAD of a fixed bed (they all seem to do it in conjunction with which I don't understand as you can't use them both at the same time), with increased lounge space as a result.
The new Crafter is an excellent van though and infinitely preferable to a Fiat/Peugeot but will be noticeably more expensive.
Having the whole vehicle warranted at your local VW dealer is a massive bonus over any MH and something that made a big difference when our Cali was under warranty with its various faults.
I'll be keeping a close eye on this!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It will have to compete for space with all the other great whites. Just one more vehicle unable to get under a height barrier or live comfortably in one parking space.
My thoughts exactly. I'm based in a flat and space is at a premium. Fuel consumption must be better too. Unusually I've bettered the official statistics. On a recent tour of Morocco the worst I got was 42.6 and the best 49.7.

I like it and it could be just what we'll be looking for when we upgrade in a few years.
I'm a big fan of burstner, dethleffs etc but to my mind they'll be missing a trick if, with all that headroom they don't include a roof stored lowering bed - something that's becoming more popular now and is something i would want.
I've done plenty of research over the last couple of years and still haven't found my ideal set up which would be the lowering bed INSTEAD of a fixed bed (they all seem to do it in conjunction with which I don't understand as you can't use them both at the same time), with increased lounge space as a result.
The new Crafter is an excellent van though and infinitely preferable to a Fiat/Peugeot but will be noticeably more expensive.
Having the whole vehicle warranted at your local VW dealer is a massive bonus over any MH and something that made a big difference when our Cali was under warranty with its various faults.

For me smaller is better and I wish VW would do the Caddy Maxilife Tramper here.

My thoughts exactly. I'm based in a flat and space is at a premium. Fuel consumption must be better too. Unusually I've bettered the official statistics. On a recent tour of Morocco the worst I got was 42.6 and the best 49.7.

That's amazing consumption :shocked

Totally agree, we are looking to change to something bigger in a few years and we are also put off by the warranty issues with motohomes, especially when travelling overseas. Something that has a 5 year VW warranty that you could take into any dealer would be a no brainer.

I hope Volkswagen are reading all our positive comments put this into production some time in the future however sadly most concepts never make it to the production line.

Back