Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The new T6 Grand California ( XXL )

I quite like it..apart from that odd overhang at the back! And if you sleep upstairs, you're gonna wake up early (do you think there is a screen that pulls across that vast expanse of glass?)!

I quite like it..apart from that odd overhang at the back! And if you sleep upstairs, you're gonna wake up early (do you think there is a screen that pulls across that vast expanse of glass?)!

I got the impression from one of the videos that the glass can be switched to black-out, electro-magically.

He said in the video above a roof slides over, I think, but defo it can be blacked out.

Looks a bit tight inside. Maybe better in the flesh. Overall finish looks very high quality.

If what is in the whole roof is glass I'd like to see one of those in Montoro (Cordoba, Spain, where it beaten our temperature record with 47 celsius degrees) next summer..

Goodness that looks expensive! If you think that our old fashioned calis are now creeping into the 60-and-70ks, this is going to be astonishingly pricey.

It's very pretty.

There are an AWFUL lot of whizzy things to go wrong, and it didn't look as if you would be able to fix anything yourself with it all built in to the structure of the van.

I like some of it. I thought the high up bed at the back was a bit odd - I was expecting there to be some kind of 'lounging' area, but that really is just a fixed bed and then the living area just the same as ours.

I agree with the earlier comment about camping in hot conditions - the poor lad reviewing it was very sweaty!

If I won the lottery, I might have one as my second van for different kinds of adventures. It's not really for me though. I don't have a problem with a toilet tent, and I love the fact that I can still go to Sainsbo and do the shopping in the multi-storey car park. We used to have a caravan with cooker/microwave/shower/loo etc and we missed camping. With the Cali we get to (almost) 'proper camp' without the cold and the wet curtailing the camping season.

So in conclusion, it's probably not for me - if I wanted something big with a fixed bed and a shower room I'd probably go for a big old white motorhome for about half the price - if it's not small enough to use on an everyday basis, it might just as well be REALLY big!

Rumours from Volkswagen this week that the California XXL could go into production in 2018/19

There has been very much positive comments about this vehicle

Odd, just watching Blue Planet II and couldn't help but notice the Cali XXL of the fish world.

IMG_3577.JPG

Yes.
We could be driving a Caravan stuck on a Truck chassis.:shocked

The one big plus for such a vehicle if built, it's NOT WHITE
Easy on the white bashing, Sir Gas.:D I happen to find it being a perfectly practical colour, both for thermal and urban camouflage reasons.:Stig

On a more serious note; To me the interior looks nice and spacious, especially the bathroom, but i do agree with the bulk killing many of the joys i appreciate with the California.

Don’t think it’s available for a long time , ? Is it ?

Measure twice, cut once! Looks like the bod who designed the top got the scale wrong. That overhang at the back looks really odd, quite vulnerable and seems to make the boot extremely difficult to access. Unless you are acutely vertically challenged you are probably going to have to either bend double or get down on your hands and knees to get anything out of the boot. IMO that could quickly become a right PITA.

The interior is interesting although very white. Lots of interesting design features which I think you would have to live with for a while before knowing if it really worked for you. However my first impressions are that I am not sure that the bathroom/toilet that pulls out to block the access/egress to the bed area is good design. I hope that the toilet can be used without all that palaver. If not I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it during the night. You'd end up waking everyone. Also whilst I doubt if the coffee machine will be a feature on most production models, I think to place it high up over the seats where someone may be sitting is a silly idea.

Despite my comments, I look forward to seeing one in the flesh although I suspect that it will be ridiculously expensive. Anyway, IMO at least, it isn't really a camper van but more a motorhome and personally if I were thinking of getting one of those then there are better internal layouts to choose from.

Last edited:
Back